Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Sardines/shrimp/crawfish : Are They Really Ever Gluten Free?

• Please log in to reply

6 replies to this topic

#1 Woolygimp

Woolygimp

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:42 AM

If I'm not mistaken most fish farms use fish feed with a mix that can contain wheat derivatives, the problem is that when you eat a simple seafood you're often eating the digestive track of that organism.
Unlike eating a fillet of fish, when you consume a whole sardine, shrimp, or crawfish you're eating more than just it's meat whether you intend to or not.

Technically, isn't it a possibility for some non-digested gluten to remain in the digestive organs of these foods? Say the stomach of a sardine, or for those of you who are familiar with crawfish/shrimp: the black sand vein which AFAIK is their intestines. I'm absolutely certain crawfish farms down here use wheat to feed the crawfish, and my family is in the crawfish boiling business. I LOVE seafood but I'm not sure what to think at this point, can anyone who routinely eats this stuff share whether or not they think these foods are safe to eat?

When does gluten stop being gluten after something else ingests it?

Just to point out, this has absolutely nothing to do with fish in general as I'm sure fish meat in itself is all safe to eat. I'm more or less talking about things like sardines, in which you eat the entire fish (minus the head).

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_Happynwgal2_*

Guest_Happynwgal2_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:49 AM

Interesting question - I have never thought of this. I love sardines, and eat them occasionally, and they do not make me sick - I am very sensitive to gluten, and usually have some kind of reaction just minutes after eating something with gluten in it.

It will be interesting to see what others on here will answer...

If I'm not mistaken most fish farms use fish feed with a mix that can contain wheat derivatives, the problem is that when you eat a simple seafood you're often eating the digestive track of that organism.
Unlike eating a fillet of fish, when you consume a whole sardine, shrimp, or crawfish you're eating more than just it's meat whether you intend to or not.

Technically, isn't it a possibility for some non-digested gluten to remain in the digestive organs of these foods? Say the stomach of a sardine, or for those of you who are familiar with crawfish/shrimp: the black sand vein which AFAIK is their intestines. I'm absolutely certain crawfish farms down here use wheat to feed the crawfish, and my family is in the crawfish boiling business. I LOVE seafood but I'm not sure what to think at this point, can anyone who routinely eats this stuff share whether or not they think these foods are safe to eat?

When does gluten stop being gluten after something else ingests it?

Just to point out, this has absolutely nothing to do with fish in general as I'm sure fish meat in itself is all safe to eat. I'm more or less talking about things like sardines, in which you eat the entire fish (minus the head).

#3 ShayFL

ShayFL

ShayFL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:51 AM

Make sure you buy "wild caught". Farm raised fish are not very healthy anyway.
GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

#4 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:33 PM

wg,

That's a pretty good question. Since you're the one that thought of it, why don't you eat some and let us know what happens?

I always de-vein my shrimp. Also, I've long thought that the farm raised shrimp are basically tasteless compared to "real" shrimp.

best regards, lm

B)

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#5 pele

pele

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:00 PM

Hmmm

Last week I got glutened for the first time in a while. I never eat out and was eating the same old fruits/vegs/honey/chicken/eggs/nuts EXCEPT for a tin of herring that the company called gluten-free. I have never eaten this brand of fish before and cannot imagine where else the gluten could have come from. I wrote to the company (which can remain nameless for now) and received what I perceived as a very insulting reply stating that even a 7 year old could understand their labels.

So, thank you Wooly, for perhaps pointing me in the right direction here.

In the meantime. I have had zero problems with Chicken of the Sea smoked sardines, so I'll stick with them.
Gluten free 3/07 self diagnosed
Specific Carbohydrate Diet 4/08--yes, it works.

#6 redgf

redgf

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:48 AM

I eat shrimp from my local publix supermarket on a bimonthly basis, and have never been sick from them. I am really really super sensitive to gluten, I actually get sick within a few minutes of eating the stuff. I do devein my shrimp... I also eat tilapia, shark, halibut and haddock on a regular basis and none have made me sick. I do eat canned tuna but no other canned fish. I hope this helps you out!
redgf

Diagnosed 7 yrs after "active" celiac symptoms started, brought on by premature birth of first child. Doctor diagnosed '06 and said have a good day, we have been on a learning curve since! Perfectly healthy since going gluten free, am now extremely sensitive to gluten.

#7 Woolygimp

Woolygimp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 12:41 PM

I eat shrimp from my local publix supermarket on a bimonthly basis, and have never been sick from them. I am really really super sensitive to gluten, I actually get sick within a few minutes of eating the stuff. I do devein my shrimp... I also eat tilapia, shark, halibut and haddock on a regular basis and none have made me sick. I do eat canned tuna but no other canned fish. I hope this helps you out!

Shrimp is always going to be gluten free because they are almost never farm raised.

I'm really curious about crawfish, because they are exclusively farm-raised and they ARE fed wheat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: