Vitamin Overdose?

• Please log in to reply

1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Leidenschaft_*

Guest_Leidenschaft_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2005 - 05:03 AM

Wow, what a crappy week! No pun intended!! :(
Anyway, for the last three months give or take, I've been off my Vitamin supplements. At the beginning I just kept forgetting a few days a week, then I set an appt. for blood work to see what the past year of gluten-free living is doing for me. So I figured I should go off all supplements completely to give an accurate picture of what my body is actually getting from the food.

Yesterday I had my blood work done, and immediately took my Folic Acid, Iron, Calcium Citrate, 2000 mg of Vit. C (could be the culprit, I cut that in half this morning) and Glucosamine. Today my guts are wrecked, including abdominal pain/cramps and nausea that I don't usually get when I get "glutinated".

Other possible culprits could be, Yesterday AM's two McDonalds Hashbrowns (previously I've not had a problem with them, however these ones were not fresh and could have been contaminated while sitting in the warmer) OJ from McDonalds, or the new brand of Vodka cooler, orange flavoured. I didn't see anything in the ingredients, however I remember Mom cautioning me about Orange Pop when I first went gluten-free. I've had this cooler before, and haven't connected it to any reaction, however I did have one on Monday as well from the same box and was sick Tuesday.... possibly this batch??
Got to be a darn detective with this disease!!! :angry:

Anyway, does anyone else have any input on the Vitamin angle?? The sudden supplementation after a complete absence? These are all the same bottles I was on before, so no new brands, batches or the like.

Thanks in advance...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 07:19 AM

Calcium, if taken on an empty stomach, can make you nauseous as well. (BTW, make sure you're getting enough complimentary vits to make the calcium be of any good. Most diets (even very healthy ones, I've tried doing the calculations before) are short in magnesium, which is required for calcium to be effective for bone mass. (There are other required nutrients as well... zinc, for instance... but magnesium is one of the biggest problems since you need it in a relatively high ratio to calcium.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: