This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Chocolate Eclair Cake

ebrbetty

ebrbetty Rising Star

Hi, does anyone have a recipe for gluten-free choc. eclair cake?

thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

I searched my recipe box first and couldn't find my copy of the chocolate eclair dessert recipe that I used to have. Good old internet, what would we do without it! Is this what you mean? Or are you thinking more along the lines of a boston cream pie(which is really a cake)?

Open Original Shared Link

purple Community Regular
Hi, does anyone have a recipe for gluten-free choc. eclair cake?

thanks!

YES! I want to make one! No baking in the heat...good for the summer. Go to recipezaar #55847. All you would need to do is sub those graham crackers for gluten-free cookies, homemade or bought like Pam's. Or make your own crackers. I saw a recipe gluten-free somewhere the other day, maybe someone knows where.

Sweetfudge Community Regular

i have an amazing recipe for this :) i will have to post it tomorrow, when i have more time. i've made it several times for friends/family, and everyone has loved it! you can see a pic of it on my blog (click my profile).

ebrbetty Rising Star

thanks for the help ladies!!

I think the recipe I'm looking for is the one Sweetfudge uses, I saw it on your great blog, but could not find the recipe...looks so yummy...thanks for sharing the recipe!!

i'm at work right now, but i will post it tonight when i get home. it's so yummy! wish i could find a DF substitute for the filling (pudding and cool whip)....

rick-spiff Rookie

Looks yummy!!

Too bad we can't do dairy <_<

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator
i'm at work right now, but i will post it tonight when i get home. it's so yummy! wish i could find a DF substitute for the filling (pudding and cool whip)....

There are soy puddings out there. Haven't tried them yet. And I think there are some cool whips that are CF. Have to check the labels. I tried to make Jello instant pudding with soy milk twice and it never set up. :angry:

Looks yummy!!

Too bad we can't do dairy <_<

I was thinking that too.

Ok here goes:

From the cookbook "Life Tastes Good Again" by Kirsti Kirkland and Betsy Thomas (see website eatingglutenfree.com)

Eclair Cake

Base:

1/2 c water

1/4 c butter (not margarine)

2 eggs

1/2 c featherlight mix

Filling:

1 pkg of instant pudding (i always used chocolate or devil food cake)

1 1/4 c milk

1/2 tsp vanilla

8 oz cool whip

Topping: (i felt like the topping was too much work, so i usually just melted the chocolate chips and butter, and drizzled that on top)

1/4 c semisweet chocolate chips

1 tbsp butter

1 tbsp milk

1/2 tsp vanilla

1/2 c powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Combine water and butter in a med saucepan and bring to a boil. Add featherlight mix, stirring until dough forms a ball. Remove from heat, pour into a med bowl. Add eggs one at a time, beating well with an electric mixer after each. Pile dough in a circle on a lightly greased cookie sheet (I also would sometimes make two circles with the dough, so the cake would look cuter).

Bake for 35-40 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove from oven, cool completely. Cake will be relatively flat, not puffy like a cream puff.

While cake is cooling, make filling and topping. For filling, combine pudding and milk. Mix well. Add vanilla and cool whip. Beat with hand mixer.

Make topping by melting chocolate, butter and milk in the microwave for 60 seconds, stirring after each 30 seconds. Stir in vanilla and powdered sugar. Put topping in a sandwich bag.

Carefully slice the cake ring into two semi-circles (unless you make 2 smaller circles). Spread filling on one semi-circle, and place the other on top.

With a toothpick, poke a hole in the bag containing the topping. Drizzle the topping over the cake.

(And this is where I personally would get frustrated, and just started drizzling butter and melted chocolate chips on top. Maybe I didn't have it hot enough, but mine just wouldn't drizzle....)

Refrigerate for at least 10-20 minutes before serving, in order to set the topping.

A delicious dessert. Topping is good, just hard (at least for me) to drizzle. Also, maybe I was always too impatient to let it get harder, but I had a hard time cutting it neatly. If I could eat dairy, I'd try throwing it in the freezer for half an hour, see if that helped solidify things.

Anyway, enjoy!

Hm, will have to look for a soy pudding next time I go to the store.

purple Community Regular
Ok here goes:

From the cookbook "Life Tastes Good Again" by Kirsti Kirkland and Betsy Thomas (see website eatingglutenfree.com)

Eclair Cake

Base:

1/2 c water

1/4 c butter (not margarine)

2 eggs

1/2 c featherlight mix

Filling:

1 pkg of instant pudding (i always used chocolate or devil food cake)

1 1/4 c milk

1/2 tsp vanilla

8 oz cool whip

Topping: (i felt like the topping was too much work, so i usually just melted the chocolate chips and butter, and drizzled that on top)

1/4 c semisweet chocolate chips

1 tbsp butter

1 tbsp milk

1/2 tsp vanilla

1/2 c powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Combine water and butter in a med saucepan and bring to a boil. Add featherlight mix, stirring until dough forms a ball. Remove from heat, pour into a med bowl. Add eggs one at a time, beating well with an electric mixer after each. Pile dough in a circle on a lightly greased cookie sheet (I also would sometimes make two circles with the dough, so the cake would look cuter).

Bake for 35-40 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove from oven, cool completely. Cake will be relatively flat, not puffy like a cream puff.

While cake is cooling, make filling and topping. For filling, combine pudding and milk. Mix well. Add vanilla and cool whip. Beat with hand mixer.

Make topping by melting chocolate, butter and milk in the microwave for 60 seconds, stirring after each 30 seconds. Stir in vanilla and powdered sugar. Put topping in a sandwich bag.

Carefully slice the cake ring into two semi-circles (unless you make 2 smaller circles). Spread filling on one semi-circle, and place the other on top.

With a toothpick, poke a hole in the bag containing the topping. Drizzle the topping over the cake.

(And this is where I personally would get frustrated, and just started drizzling butter and melted chocolate chips on top. Maybe I didn't have it hot enough, but mine just wouldn't drizzle....)

Refrigerate for at least 10-20 minutes before serving, in order to set the topping.

A delicious dessert. Topping is good, just hard (at least for me) to drizzle. Also, maybe I was always too impatient to let it get harder, but I had a hard time cutting it neatly. If I could eat dairy, I'd try throwing it in the freezer for half an hour, see if that helped solidify things.

Anyway, enjoy!

Hm, will have to look for a soy pudding next time I go to the store.

Thanks for the recipe! YUM! You can find a vanilla soy pudding recipe at recipezaar #309782 and go to allrecipes dairy free chocolate pudding to find chocolate. I have not tried either one.

Thanks for the recipe! YUM! You can find a vanilla soy pudding recipe at recipezaar #309782 and go to allrecipes dairy free chocolate pudding to find chocolate. I have not tried either one.

awesome, might just try that tomorrow!

ebrbetty Rising Star

Thanks so much for getting me the recipe Sweetfudge, I looked on that site and couldn't find it..the recipe sounds too good lol

what brand of pudding mix do you use?

rick-spiff Rookie

i'm gonna make this for my father-in-laws b-day cake.

using the choc dairy free pudding recipe subing rice milk, (boys can't have soy)

will see what to do about cool whip.

Thanks!!!

purple Community Regular

Recipes for puddings can be found in the book "Gluten Free Quick and Easy" by Carol Fenster. On p. 241 is a cooked choc. pudding. On p.242 is an instant vanilla pudding. She lists what milk subs to use that are best. Be sure to read all of both pages if anyone is interested. Both sound easy.

Thanks so much for getting me the recipe Sweetfudge, I looked on that site and couldn't find it..the recipe sounds too good lol

what brand of pudding mix do you use?

i used to use jello or walmart brand pudding. my favorite one was the devil's food mix :)

Archived