This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Is "yeast Extract" & Can Us Gf People Eat It?

cvl61113

cvl61113 Newbie

today is my first day on the site - so please bare w/ me - i've known about my celiac for 9.5 yrs I found out I had it after giving birth to my daughter - the doc said I was probably born w/ it but it was never active & it's a known fact that when trauma(child birth in my case) is done to your body it can become active - I try to eat gluten-free but it is sssooo hard - especially when you have a large family & I am the ONLY one w/ it - Anyway - sorry for rambling - I've been so sick this week w/ bronchitis, etc... and wanted some soup sssooo bad - well we all know that's impossible to go to a "normal" grocery store and purchase a "normal" can of soup - 'cause all of it has something or another in it that we all can't eat - & I'm NOT eating that disgusting soup from the Nature Store where I shop at to get my bread, etc... - and of course I didn't have any homemade frozen neither - I bought a can of Chuncky Split Pea w/ Ham - the only thing I see in it is "Yeast Extract" - Does anyone know if this is safe - I haven't eatin' it yet - I was trying to find what it was - by the way I'm so glad I found you all - it sounds like you all touch a little bit of everything conversations - I really need to know if anyone out there has a hard time working(full time), having a husband & two kids to come home to and fix a "normal" dinner & you having to eat a gluten-free diet - it's hard fixing two things for dinner after working all day - I get sssooo depressed that I'll go w/out eating - but I'm already 100lb soakin' ringin' wet - so I can't afford to be not eating - I am sssooo sorry for rambling on & on - I am pretty happy I found people to talk to about this - can't wait to talk - laa :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

What brand is the soup? Yeast extract is OK but I'm certainlky not going to tel you that means the soup is OK. Progresso soup clearly lists any gluten so all you have to do with theirs is read the ingredients.

I am the only person in my house with celiac disease and I do most of the cooking and our dinners are "normal" and almost without exception gluten-free. Sometimes they order pizza and when we have spaghetti they use their noodles and I use mine, but there's very little reason you shouldn't be able to fix one meal that everybody can eat. You simply have to put your foot down and tell everybody else that you are done fixing two meals. Not that you're banning gluten from the house, but that dinners will generally be gluten-free from now on.

What meals are you fixing for them that you can't eat? Maybe we can help you.

richard

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

There is alot of normal food you can eat. Also, as lovegrov said progrsso won't hide anything so you might want to try that brand. Thai kitchen has some really good soup that I have called Spring onion and its really good. There are brands that won't hide anything such as Kraft. So unless Kraft says wheat, rye, barley, or oats on the label that brand is safe. There is rice pasta that you can fix for you and your family so you all can eat the same food as well. We can help you on here. Amy's offers prepackaged gluten free mac and cheese that really tastes good. Amy's also has gluten-free pizza...it's pretty good but of course not as good as regular pizza but its pretty good. Things like these things you all can have too.

If we can help you just say the word :D good luck:)

cvl61113 Newbie
What brand is the soup? Yeast extract is OK but I'm certainlky not going to tel you that means the soup is OK. Progresso soup clearly lists any gluten so all you have to do with theirs is read the ingredients.

I am the only person in my house with celiac disease and I do most of the cooking and our dinners are "normal" and almost without exception gluten-free. Sometimes they order pizza and when we have spaghetti they use their noodles and I use mine, but there's very little reason you shouldn't be able to fix one meal that everybody can eat. You simply have to put your foot down and tell everybody else that you are done fixing two meals. Not that you're banning gluten from the house, but that dinners will generally be gluten-free from now on.

What meals are you fixing for them that you can't eat? Maybe we can help you.

richard

Thanks Richard & Vote4PpresBush04 for talking - It is Campbell's Select soup - I wasn't looking for someone to tell me it's okay to eat - I just wanted to know if anyone knew what "Yeast Extract" is & if they thought we could eat it -

(This is on work days) I find it exhausting to make two kinds of pasta - when they have mac & cheese as a side dish I usually eat the meat(unless it's hot dogs & than I need another meat also) & veggie w/ NO side - And it really gets to me when they order out - because it's really hard to order food out - and I LOVE pizza - but I don't get angry or upset w/ my family - it's not their fault - I just get depressed Inside & NO I'm not feeling sorry for myself I just think people w/ this Disease have a tough way - I mean eating is well more than half your life style and when you can't eat all those YUMMY things out there (& on top watch others eat them) - IT"S HARD - I'm not shouting - I'm showing I mean this w/ everything I have in me - As far as spaghetti goes I found a pasta that I really love but I have to mail order it (which means pay s&h also) - it's not cheap to begin with - and if I'm really tired they'll eat frozen dinners - and I haven't found any of those that I like - I do have a frozen mac-n-cheese I like - but recently I had a baby - and when I was pregnant I ate them 'til they came out of my ears - so right now I' a little sick of them - and that's another thing it's like once I eat something(anything like: tuna, egg salad, etc...) I want to eat that & that only for weeks - & than I get sick of that and it takes me a little bit before I come across the next thing I like - I guess maybe I'm a picky perfectionist -

Anyway, I will look at those Progresso soups - do you know which ones it is we can eat? - It was really nice hearing from someone - THANKS AGAIN!!

ps - Again I'm new to this "forum-chat thing" - I hope I "replied" okay(in the correct format and whatever else I guess I'll learn as I go - that's always fun

Lori A : )

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Progresso soups will not hide wheat, rye, barley, or oats in their products. So unless the label says that you can have their products. If you go to www.progressosoup.com and contact them they will give you a list.

Campbells also has a gluten-free list if you contact them they will give it to you as well. Hopefully you will find it to get easier. It is hard at first especially I had to get rid of all my makeup and give up some of my fav foods. But there is always a substitite:) Good luck and if ya need help let me know :D

lovegrov Collaborator

Every hot dog I've ever seen has been gluten-free except Nathan's, so unless you're avoiding hot dogs (without the bun, of course) for a reason other than gluten, then start eating them.

richard

• 2 weeks later...
girlygirl Newbie

Yeast extract has MSG in it so it NOT safe to eat for celiacs.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I read that yeast extract contains barley so is therefore not safe. Is this true because I thought it was safe?

tom Contributor
I read that yeast extract contains barley so is therefore not safe.

Huh ?

And another "Huh?" to girlygirl.

ANd another to you both ! HUH ??!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I have always thought that yeast extract was safe and then I read this

Open Original Shared Link

It says that yeast extract contains barley..does anybody know if that is indeed true? I thought it was ok

girlygirl Newbie

Not that I plan to post on this board anymore since I have seen some pretty rude and snide comments made (HUH?), but I have recently read that yeast extract was made of barley which in my humble opinion made it off limit to celiacs. Unless that is if someone here wants to press the point that it is NOT. Because of confusing data such as this a forum is needed . I was excited to share some of the info I had, but that changed to disappointment quickly based on the way I was ridiculed. The purpose here is supposed to be one of support not to be chastised.

The only way anyone here will learn is through others experiences that is the whole purpose of a forum. How do foods make it on the "safe" list? I would think that trial and error is the way. I would think that some foods on the list today may not be on the list tomorrow or vice versa. If there isn't a venue to share this info then why even have this board. It appears to me that from some of the responses I've read that the whole purpose it to be "right". I feel that being open minded to new considerations and then doing your research is always in order and everyone has to do what is the best for them. I do wish everyone here good health!!

FYI,

I have had some people email privately telling me that they too have had reactions to the additives that I had responded to.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

girlygirl-I have also read that barley is contained in yeast extract. I'm not sure if that is true but I know I read it. It's always good to learn new information. As far as MSG goes it is bad for everyone and some people do have reactions and they should avoid it but you were coming on saying that it's a big no no for celiacs and they shouldn't have it and I had some people email me confused.There is no problem with you voicing your opinion and sharing the research. Some people do have reactions to additives and other things some don't. Hope you have a great day :D

lovegrov Collaborator

I don't know that girlygirl will ever read this but I'll post it anyway.

As I pointed out in one post, there's absolutely nothing wrong with telling people about her experience with MSG and suggesting that they might want to see whether they are also sensitive to it. There's nothing wrong with her campaigning against MSG as not being good for people in general. But I think you need to be perfectly clear this is separate from the gluten issue. She did not (in one post she said "some" celiacs, but in other she made blanket statements that MSG was a "big NONO" for all people with celiac), and I was trying to clear it up.

Apparently I offended her in the process and for that I'm sorry. It's not about always being right, because with celiac that's impossible. It is about being right as much as possible. girlygirl is right that MSG bothers some people (I don't believe she's right that all humans should avoid it, but then I never argued about that in my posts) and she's right that if somebody's having trouble with products with MSG they should consider whether they have a problem with MSG. But I don't think she was right when she suggested MSG was bad for ALL people with celiac and stated it in a way that suggested gluten was a problem with MSG.

richard

celiac3270 Collaborator

Girlygirl--MSG does not contain gluten so it would not affect us physically the way gluten was. MSG can trigger symptoms in people--celiac or not--but although the symptoms might resemble those of celiac, it wouldn't be due to gluten in the ingredient--I think that's what people were confused about.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
MSG does not contain gluten so it would not affect us physically the way gluten was. MSG can trigger symptoms in people--celiac or not--but although the symptoms might resemble those of celiac, it wouldn't be due to gluten in the ingredient--I think that's what people were confused about.

Well said celiac3270 :D

darlindeb25 Collaborator

;) my turn---MSG is soy based and that is why it bothers me--i cant have soy, so maybe that is girlygirls problem too--it is true that sometimes we read that we cant have something in certain sites that we have had all along----it's like vanilla--i have never been sick from vanilla--my sister was surprised to hear that too and everytime i read a post that says, "i read that such and such is not gluten-free now", i freak--i worry about everything i put in my mouth--i get a "talking too" all the time from friends, family, and my sweetie that i dont eat well enough to suit them-------as for yeast extract--i dont know--if it is made from barley, then i wouldnt react to it, so i cant say if that is true or not---for some odd reason, barley doesnt cause a reaction in me, it still will cause damage for me, but not cause me to become sick and yes, i tested this theory by accident--Quaker Original Cracker Jack Rice Cakes are gluten-free but not the Toffee Flavor (contain barley)--i didnt realize there were 2 brands in the beginning--i ate them daily for 2 weeks without getting sick, therefore barley doesnt effect me outwardly...........

Girlygirl---this is a very informative forum too, sometimes i feel there is too much arguing going on in here too and i step away at times--but i always return--i have met some good friends in this forum--i do think that sometimes we get argumentative because we are so tired of trusting a company only to find they changed the rules on us when we turned out heads--then we get defensive--we all need to take care of each other here and anytime we read or hear something new--bring it to the forum so we can discuss it--it's the only way we learn-- :D deb

Archived