This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Re-curring Symptoms Why?

Glutenfreekatie

Glutenfreekatie Newbie

Before I was diagnosed I had terrible heartburn and acid reflux. Once I started a gluten free diet I felt much better and didn't need to take my Aciphex anymore for the HB etc. I was diagnosed this past March. Now since last sunday I have had terrible heartburn and nothing will help. I can't think of anything that could have caused it. Tried to take my medication and that doesn't even help. The only thing that has really changed is that recently I have been eating more raw vegetables and salads. What could be causing this????

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Celiac or a gluten sensitivity has a very loud voice. When you deal with that and that voice gets quiet, sometimes you can hear other voices.

After I went gluten free, I found that I had some issues with dairy. I stopped and it went away. I was able to add it back in a few months.

Try a food journal.

Now, I find that chocolate can give me reflux, but I chance it from time to time. ;)

newceliac Enthusiast

I feel your pain....I have been so frustrated lately. I have been gluten free since 9/07. Felt better, for the most part, after going gluten free. But it wasn't long until some of the symptoms started recurring. I was tested for dairy and found that I have casein intolerance. I have now been cfgf. I have periods where I feel really good and then all of a sudden I take a downward turn. I have been very careful about being gluten free and don't cheat and read labels, etc. With the casein intolerance, I am not always quite as diligent, but I do not intentionally eat casein products. Lately, I have been very gassy, crampy, constipated and nauseous and I am really not sure why. I am really at my wits end with all of this. It is aggravating to work so hard to avoid the foods I can't tolerate....only to continue to feel bad and constantly wrack my brain trying to figure what it is.

I am sure that I really need to keep a food diary but that just seems so difficult and time consuming. It would seem that after 10 months, I would not be developing another food intolerance.

MELINE Enthusiast

hello

I have IBS and that gives me the symptoms you are describing, especially the heart burn feeling. Doc said I should cook all my vegetables and fruits, and that was the solution to my problem. I even cook bananas (they are already soft I mean, but even they trigger my Ibs if I eat them raw)

Meline

ravenwoodglass Mentor

What kind of dressing are you using on your salads? While many of us are fine with gluten grain distilled vinagers many of us are not. You may want to experiment with salads with a for sure, you made it dressing using wine vinegar instead of the distilled vinagers that are in many prepared dressings. Also many if not most use soy oil now in the premade dressings. The soy oil can also be a problem for some folks.

Glutenfreekatie Newbie

The dressing I used was Newman's Own Ceaser. It does contain distilled vinegar. So I will definitely eliminate that. Would you suggest eliminating the raw vegetables too or just one thing at a time?

Thanks everyone for your replies. It is nice to have somewhere to talk with people who have the same experiences. I am very frustrated with how I feel and just want to get back to feeling good again.

MyMississippi Enthusiast

Do not assume that every gut issue you have is because of Celiac or gluten. The bowels are important, living, organs that can be aggravated by a host of things---- not just gluten----

How much sugar are you consuming??? How many refined carbs ?? Junk food ??? sodas ???? Are your food portions too large--- do you eat too often???? Are you eating enough natural fiber????etc. etc. etc.

Are your intestines stressed from Celiac and taking awhile to "get healthy" again ?????

There are so many variables--------- :) Your body is telling you something---- but it may take awhile to figure out just what it's saying. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

That's right. My D went away with gluten-free, but learned that xylitol gives me D. So not gluten related at all as the xylitol is a gluten free product. I checked. Ditto for the gluten free gum with xylitol. Even small amounts give me D.

eastsidegal Newbie
Before I was diagnosed I had terrible heartburn and acid reflux. Once I started a gluten free diet I felt much better and didn't need to take my Aciphex anymore for the HB etc. I was diagnosed this past March. Now since last sunday I have had terrible heartburn and nothing will help. I can't think of anything that could have caused it. Tried to take my medication and that doesn't even help. The only thing that has really changed is that recently I have been eating more raw vegetables and salads. What could be causing this????

Hi, you might stop drinking coffee and soda. See if it helps, ??

eastsidegal Newbie

Hi, you might stop drinking coffee and soda. See if it helps, ??

Glutenfreekatie Newbie

I have really cut down on coffee and don't usually drink soda anyway. The only junk food I really eat is corn chips sometimes. Plain ones. It is feeling a little bit better today, but it is early. Usually escalates during the day. Only eating hommade stuff that I can be sure has no gluten. I did have one cup of coffee this morning. Otherwise I get a terrible headache. Plus I have an hour drive to work!

TestyTommy Rookie

Hi Katie,

What kind of corn chips are you eating? A few months ago, I realized I was reacting to Lays plain potato chips and plain corn chips -- something I never would have expected. There are threads in the food sections about chips -- there seem to be CC issues with many brands of chips, incl. Lays.

SEAliac Rookie
The dressing I used was Newman's Own Ceaser. It does contain distilled vinegar. So I will definitely eliminate that. Would you suggest eliminating the raw vegetables too or just one thing at a time?

Thanks everyone for your replies. It is nice to have somewhere to talk with people who have the same experiences. I am very frustrated with how I feel and just want to get back to feeling good again.

Hi! I'm new to this forum, but your question about eliminating raw vegetables resonates with me. I'm gluten-free only for about 4 1/2 months now, but maybe my experience in the last few months will help you. I cannot tolerate raw vegetables except for tomatoes that have had the skins peeled and seeds removed. Salad leaves me in agony. Canned and frozen veggies I can handle in very small quantities (an ounce or two in a day). Strained cooked sweet potatoes and butternut squash make very good soups that I can tolerate. Fresh fruits don't seem to be causing me much trouble. At this early stage in my healing, I do best with a very low fat, low fiber, dairy-free diet. I'm worried about my nutrient intake by not eating many veggies, but I prefer a more normally functioning GI tract right now. Over time I'll find more veggies that I can eat.

Good luck to you!

Archived