This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dedicated Lines For Rice Chex? I Suspect Not...

oceangirl

oceangirl Collaborator

Hi everyone,

I know there's been ongoing discussion re: the new Rice Chex, but, does ANYONE know FOR SURE that they are run on dedicated lines? For those of us who react to one iota of gluten?

Thank you for your time,

lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Franceen Explorer

I read somewhere recently that General Mills had created a dedicated facility for gluten-free mfg. and that they were intending to make more cereals and foods gluten-free. The box does NOT have the typical "made in a facility that also processes xxxxx" on it - so I'm assuming that it IS a dedicated facility.

I'm not as sensitive as some, but I've had no problem with them. I just don't like the taste anymore! I'm hoping they start making Corn Chex gluten-free soon - because they might taste better.

(I just don't like rice and all the rice flours that much).

You might try a "taste" one day and see what happens and then increase your intake to a tablespoon and then a little more each time, just to make sure.

Good Luck.

hollyres Explorer

Lisa,

I too, react to a crumb on my counter. I cannot eat Rice Chex (even with the "gluten free" on the box) and I think I know why. I have similar reactions to mold as I do to gluten. Rice Chex, I found out, are housed in a way that allows mold to grow. I even found a couple of purple ones in the box. When I finally put it together, I quit eating them and felt better. I don't think this helps you, but it helped me to figure out why they were making me sick.

Holly

home-based-mom Contributor
Hi everyone,

I know there's been ongoing discussion re: the new Rice Chex, but, does ANYONE know FOR SURE that they are run on dedicated lines? For those of us who react to one iota of gluten?

Thank you for your time,

lisa

Open Original Shared Link

There is contact info at the bottom of the page.

Franceen Explorer

This from their website: They seems to be taking it pretty seriously.

<H2 class=headTop>General Mills Puts Readily-Available, Gluten-Free Breakfast Option Within Reach</H2>

Big G Rice Chex

oceangirl Collaborator

Thank you everyone. Thank you, Franceen, for the contact info. Although they do seem "serious", they do not specifically mention dedicated lines. It is difficult for so many to comprehend how serious the issue of cc is for some of us. I remember when first diagnosed not believing it myself until I kept learning the hard way.

I may give them a call tomorrow. For now, I have taken them out to see if I can get back to normal here!

Thanks!

lisa

Leslie-FL Rookie

I react to even the smallest amounts of gluten, but I've been fine with the gluten free Rice Chex, if that helps.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

modiddly16 Enthusiast

um........you found moldy Chex and no one else thinks to comment on that?

I've never seen a purple chex....I'm confused by this. What do you mean that they are made in a way that mold grows?

• 1 year later...
elisa5193 Newbie

YES I have found moldy chex a bunch of times now. I 'm not sure why I keep buying them, but I'm hoping its a mistake. Literally there is green and white mold growing on the chex. I dont understand it, and I'm not sure why they haven't done something to resolve this issue.

Does anyone have any further insight in to this?

perhaps it's not gluten that is making our stomach hurt, but the mold growing on the chex

um........you found moldy Chex and no one else thinks to comment on that?

I've never seen a purple chex....I'm confused by this. What do you mean that they are made in a way that mold grows?

Frances03 Enthusiast

I have a hard time believing that a company like General Mills is putting out product with mold growing on it. Perhaps its happening in your own storage or something? I have purchased chex my entire life and I have never one time seen mold growing in anything ever, so it's very odd that you would have found it, and more than once. I also think that people should just call the manufacturer and ask them about cross contamination and then post your results here for others to see. That is what I have been doing. yes it is time consuming, but I have found out for myself that I cannot use Olay products, or Lubriderm, and that all of my Garnier Fructis products are gluten free. I have also called Lipton tea (gluten-free), Tylenol (arthritis caplets are gluten-free), Hunts tomato sauce (gluten-free), rosarita refried beans (distilled vinegar may cause issues for some), Fritos (regular corn chips are made on lines with other gluten containing items), ETC. I have a new box of gluten free corn chex right here, and i intend to call them today and ask about the cc issue.

larry mac Enthusiast

I'm wondering if it's something else that you are mistaking for mold. Mold grows on high moisture substances, or in humid environments, not dry cereal. Does not compute.

Large companies such as General Mills have spent millions of dollars on research and development. Issues such as controlled environment storage tests, which show them what kinds of materials to use for the bags to keep the product fresh the longest, for instance, are conducted. They also have Quality Control procedures in place. Not to say an occassional mistake won't get out from time to time, but not anything on the scale suggested IMO.

I have also been a Chex eater for decades, and have never seen any bad product. However, I think if I found just one box with what I thought was mold, much less a bunch of times ( :o ), that would be the last time. No offense intended, just my 2 cents worth. B)

best regards, lm

Archived