#1 IdGirl

IdGirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 02:36 PM

Hi,

I have read this message board for years and finally registered. My fiancee has celiacs and I am always trying to learn more so that I can cook a variety of things for him.

I had read on here that Hillshire Farms Kielbasa was safe to eat. When I got to the store, there were several types by Hillshire Farms and I wasn't sure what to get or if it mattered. I bought the Polska Kielbasa. Well, a few minutes after eating the meal, his stomach was going nuts. :( The rest of the ingredients in the meal he had had before and I knew they were fine.

Has anyone else gotten sick eating this sausage? Or did I pick out the wrong one....

Thanks!!! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 03:07 PM

Hillshire Farms Polish Keilbasa is a staple in our family. To my current knowledge, it is gluten free. But, always read lables as ingredients can change frequently.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 munkee41182

munkee41182

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 04:43 AM

Although I'm the one with celiac, my fiance's stomach goes nuts too when we eat Kilbasa. It's something he didn't eat for the longest time and when he did, his stomach yelled at him. I know processed meats (like sausages), red meats and sodium kill my fiance's stomach (mainly because he has his own dietary restrictions as well). Maybe it's the same thing with your husband, especially if it's been a while since he's had it?
Jami

#4 wolfie

wolfie

Kim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:42 AM

Most sausage/kielbasa/hot dogs do this to my stomach even though they are gluten-free. DS also has Celiac and can eat all of the above and be fine and he is super-sensitive.
Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm
but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06
gluten-free since 1/12/06
Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)
Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006
gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)
HLA-DQ2 positive
Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times
Still eating gluten for now.

#5 dionnek

dionnek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:47 AM

I eat the turkey ones all the time without a problem, so it probably is something else. Could it have been CC (with pans/spoons, etc.)? I never eat hotdogs for this reason - they give me headaches and tummy aches - think it's the nitrates.

#6 cruelshoes

cruelshoes

We've heard nothing at all about the growing tomato menace..

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:02 AM

Hillshire farms is owned by Sara Lee. They have a very good labeling policy. If there is wheat, barley, rye or oats in a product, it is clearly marked on the label. They do not hide it in natural flavors or anything like that. The label off of the product will be the best guide on whether the product is gluten-free or not (formulations change all the time). There is no hidden gluten.
-Colleen
Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)
13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy
Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

#7 Victory12

Victory12

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 01:46 PM

We used to eat kielbasa up until it upset my stomach. I think some brands are fine, while others are not. I think the one that did it was Hillshire, but to be honest, I haven't even picked it up since the last time.

#8 GlutenGalAZ

GlutenGalAZ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 06:15 PM

We use to get the Hillshire Farms Beef. Sometimes my stomach hurt but I believe it was from the oil/grease. The sodium also got to me. We use to make mac and cheese with the little smokies but same thing. We stopped buying this mainly because of trying to eat better, we maybe buy it couple times a year or less.

There is Johnsonville. I have not tried them yet but they label gluten free on the ingredients label and on their website if you look at the ingredients it will say gluten free if it is. They even have recipies on their website and how to cook the different products.

Good Luck
Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007
Completely Gluten Free February 2008
Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008
No MSG July 2008
Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009
Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09

#9 IdGirl

IdGirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:06 AM

Thank you all for your responses!
I think it could be that my fiancee hadn't tried kielbasa in at least 10 + years. And I remember now that my brother (who does not have any dietary restrictions) would not eat kielbasa because it would really upset his stomach. The meal I made was pretty greasy and meat filled. I ate it and was fine but I don't have celiacs and I have the stomach of a goat (or so I am told). :D

#10 HAK1031

HAK1031

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:42 PM

Try the turkey polska kielbasa (if you are willing to risk it). My mom doesn't eat red meat, and both of us have sensitive stomachs. We both have issues with garlic and onions and other foods with a high sulfur content, which sausage can sometimes have. I cannot eat regular sausage at all. The turkey version is less greasy and salty, and both my mom and I tolerate it well.
Gluten Free since 10/07
Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme
Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...
DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

#11 judi g

judi g

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:05 PM

Hi,

I have read this message board for years and finally registered. My fiancee has celiacs and I am always trying to learn more so that I can cook a variety of things for him.

I had read on here that Hillshire Farms Kielbasa was safe to eat. When I got to the store, there were several types by Hillshire Farms and I wasn't sure what to get or if it mattered. I bought the Polska Kielbasa. Well, a few minutes after eating the meal, his stomach was going nuts. :( The rest of the ingredients in the meal he had had before and I knew they were fine.

Has anyone else gotten sick eating this sausage? Or did I pick out the wrong one....

Thanks!!! :)

#12 Bloated

Bloated

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:14 AM

Does anyone know if the hillshire farms beef little smokies are gluten free?

#13 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:48 AM

Does anyone know if the hillshire farms beef little smokies are gluten free?

Yes! http://gomeat.com/pr...ed-sausage.aspx

Edit: Oops....I pulled up the regular little smokies. Here's the info for the beef:

Ingredients:Beef, Water, Corn Syrup, Contains 2% or Less Of: salt, potassium lactate, Natural flavors, Dextrose, sodium phosphate, Monosodium Glutamate, sodium diacetate, Vitamin C (sodium ascorbate), Sodium Nitrite.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#14 Christiana

Christiana

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

I think their ingredients have changed. This is what I just pulled up:

Polska Kielbasa
Ingredients:
ingredients: Meat Ingredients (Pork, Beef), Water, Corn Syrup, CONTAINS 2% or less of: Salt, POTASSIUM LACTATE, Dextrose, Natural Flavors, Isolated Soy Product, isolated soy protein, Monosodium Glutamate, sodium diacetate, SODIUM ERYTHORBATE, Sodium Nitrite.
CONTAINS: SOY

However, Dextrose and Natural Flavors can both contain wheat. Also, people with celiac can be sensitive to MSG. And there are people who have allergies to Nitrates.

So, even if the dextrose is made from corn instead of wheat, and even if the natural flavors don't contain wheat, and you're okay with soy, what your stomach may be going nuts over is the MSG or the nitrates.

#15 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:40 PM

this is an old thread, so ingredients may have changed in the past 2 years - this was actually started in 2008, soo.....

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: