This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Universal Studios Hollywood Versus Disneyland

SacGFGirl

SacGFGirl Explorer

So I finally got to go to Disneyland and Universal Studios in Southern California and I was amazed at how much of a different experience I had at the two different parks. I had contacted the parks before my visit, and was reassured that all my needs could easily be met. Disneyland impressed me with a 10 page menu of everything gluten free in the park and Universal had no literature at all. I was told by the Universal Guest Services department that the staff was knowledgeable and that all I needed to do was ask to speak to the chef at any of the dining options, but when I did they really had no idea what I was asking. I had to shout over customers in line at the Jurassic Caf

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ItchyMeredith Contributor

I had the same experience! I have been to Universal but I didn't eat because they sure didn't seem to know what they were talking about.

Disneyland was great!

I went to Pizza Port in Tomorrowland and they made me a gluten free pizza! My son who is allergic to dairy as well got gluten free pasta with tomato basil sauce!

It was so great!

hez Enthusiast

I have only been to Disneyland. I felt no need to leave that happy place! I felt like they did such a great job plus it's the happiest place on earth!

Hez

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

We went to Disneyland in December 2006. We took one day to go to Universal Studios. We went to a place that was a Pizza Hut/Chinese place/something else. It was not during peak hours. Around 1:30pm, I think. I said that we had a child on a special diet and could the guy please show this to the chef. I gave him a Triumph dining card. It was English on one side and Spanish on the other side. He went away and then three guys came out of the back. They seemed very keen. "Okay, here's what we're going to do. We can get you some rotisserie chicken, garlic mashed potatoes without gravy, and some steamed broccoli." He went on to tell us what spices were used in the chicken and that the potatoes were made fresh, not from a box. In hindsight, we all should have had that meal. Ty got the best meal of us all.

No problems at Disneyland either, except when a hostess at the Plaza Inn denied that they had gluten-free waffles. I whipped out my list from City Hall and said, "Well according to this list from City Hall, you do." I ended up speaking to a supervisor. I guess the problem was that it was an all you can eat buffet for $25. I refuse to pay that kind of cash for an egg and some toast and homefries. The supervisor managed to get Ty a takeout box with 6 very large Mickey Mouse shaped pancakes, with a side of honeydew, pineapple, watermelon and grapes for $4.28! Again, we all should have tried to get that meal.

• 1 month later...
SLiebrand Newbie

Does anyone have food suggestions at Universal Studios, CA? I am taking my son and nephew on Thursday and I need to know where and what I can eat. I have heard nothing good about how Universal employees deal with Celiacs at the park but the kids want to go and I am taking them. Please help!

Archived