This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Italy

kenlove

kenlove Rising Star

Finally made it to Milan -- finally found a place more expensive than Tokyo and Hawaii too.

It costs US$50 A day to access from the Mariott here so i wont be adding as many messages as I thought I would!

the flights from hawaii to here were pretty good.

American did have all the gluten-free meals and they were not bad. grilled salmon on rice with beans.

salads and fruit plates. British Air didnt have the gluten-free meal from London to MIlan which was ok as i didnt want to eat again after being in the air so long from LA to London.

The AA flight attendents seemed genuinely interested in learning more about celiac and why people order gluten-free meals on the plane. Especially when I asked them not to offer my wife the bread basket over me.

Of course they had no idea that even crumbs could cause us problems. Always when they served something ( 3 meals on the long flight) they asked if I could have something in addition to the gluten-free meal.

all in all they were very nice about it.

just 5 am in Milan now so it will be a few hours before i go looking for the first gluten-free meal here.

Ken

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfp Enthusiast
Finally made it to Milan -- finally found a place more expensive than Tokyo and Hawaii too.

It costs US$50 A day to access from the Mariott here so i wont be adding as many messages as I thought I would!

the flights from hawaii to here were pretty good.

American did have all the gluten-free meals and they were not bad. grilled salmon on rice with beans.

salads and fruit plates. British Air didnt have the gluten-free meal from London to MIlan which was ok as i didnt want to eat again after being in the air so long from LA to London.

The AA flight attendents seemed genuinely interested in learning more about celiac and why people order gluten-free meals on the plane. Especially when I asked them not to offer my wife the bread basket over me.

Of course they had no idea that even crumbs could cause us problems. Always when they served something ( 3 meals on the long flight) they asked if I could have something in addition to the gluten-free meal.

all in all they were very nice about it.

just 5 am in Milan now so it will be a few hours before i go looking for the first gluten-free meal here.

Ken

Ken there is a national chain of Internet cafe's that offers a pay as you go card (trying to remember the name but mostly in the north)...

They also have skype phones etc.

You just pay once and then you can use the card in any of their cafe's...

kenlove Rising Star

Thanks for the tip.. will have to look for this place. Will be here for a month so it sounds like it might be hte thing to do.

already walked across half of milano this morning.

take care

Ken there is a national chain of Internet cafe's that offers a pay as you go card (trying to remember the name but mostly in the north)...

They also have skype phones etc.

You just pay once and then you can use the card in any of their cafe's...

Amelia01 Rookie

Ken -

I'm sure if you scout around you will find some internet caf

kenlove Rising Star

grazie Amelia

we may look for Cafe Be bop tonight.

Did find a grea tplace for lunch off of via washington that although they didnt have a gluten-free menu they are very aware of chelleeaco!

first full day here in more than 30 years. We will be in milano for 2 weeks, parma for almost 2 weeks

then umbria citti della pieve

I'm not too worried since at home in hawaii i live off of fruit and cheese. Went a little wild at the fruit market already this morning.

Dont think i could bring myself to go to mcdonalds anywhere except at 530 am in japan since they open 30 minutes before the coffee shops.

thanks again

Ken -

I'm sure if you scout around you will find some internet caf

kenlove Rising Star

day 2

Last night we found da Gaspare Ristorante on via Ravizza 19

Again no gluten-free menu but they are very aware of CC issues and took care to check everything I ordered to make sure there was no trouble. They would not even carry my wifes pasta at the same time as my grilled mixed seafood . The service was great and waiter a lot of fun. This is a neighborhood place and they don't get a lot of tourists but the wait staff seemed to speak a little of everything except Japanese which they may try now after having to deal with me all evening. It was great food and fun and worth the walk from the Mariott in Milan to get there. Oh, great wine list too!

ken

mamaw Community Regular

Hi Ken

Next time Please stuff me in your suitcase! Can you send a Italian care pkg to the states for me?!!!!

I know you are having fun!

mamaw

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kenlove Rising Star

it has been a lot of fun so far. I have to remember that I have to do some work too <G>

take care

Hi Ken

Next time Please stuff me in your suitcase! Can you send a Italian care pkg to the states for me?!!!!

I know you are having fun!

mamaw

Jestgar Rising Star

Hi Ken, just want to add

JEALOUS!!!!

kenlove Rising Star

Your really gonna be jealous when you hear about all the goodies that Amelia dropped off for me today.

Amelia Molte grazie

e molto gentile da parte sua

look forward to getting togther next week.

I put pictures of the goodies on my site which you have to get from my profile.

ciao!

Hi Ken, just want to add

JEALOUS!!!!

mamaw Community Regular

Okay Ken let's not rub it in!!!!!Will Amelia ship to the US?

You get to live in Hawaai & be in Italy too NOT FAIR!!!!!!!!

I love BiAglut pasta but they are not shipping because of the labeling laws! I hear there is another fav. in Italy. BioAlemta, maybe?

And I hear they have a cracker that actually taste like a saltine--- have you tried those?

I didn't go to look at the pics! so just tell us what you received so at least we can droll & cry at the same time!!!!!

enjoy

mamaw

kenlove Rising Star

right -- the bioalllllimentia company ( I cant spell either) has great stuff.

I think i posted their info someplace on the gluten-free forum and on my page.

Nice folks too.

take care

Okay Ken let's not rub it in!!!!!Will Amelia ship to the US?

You get to live in Hawaai & be in Italy too NOT FAIR!!!!!!!!

I love BiAglut pasta but they are not shipping because of the labeling laws! I hear there is another fav. in Italy. BioAlemta, maybe?

And I hear they have a cracker that actually taste like a saltine--- have you tried those?

I didn't go to look at the pics! so just tell us what you received so at least we can droll & cry at the same time!!!!!

enjoy

mamaw

kenlove Rising Star

So far so good in Milano, with one exception it was my own fault that I walked into a pizza place when my wife could no longer hold back the urge to try a slice. I came to my senses quickly and turned around and walked out after seeing behind the counter with flour spread from one end to the other.

That brief exposure caused a fair amount of discomfort the rest of the evening.

Fortunately, I was not hungry having sampled a number of peaches, plums, melon and what seemed like a few hundred figs. It

mamaw Community Regular

Hi Ken

It sounds like you are having a wonderful time. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.If only I liked to fly!

I revisited the bio aliments site once again .... do you know if they would ship to the US? I would love to have a bag or two of the acini de pepe for a fruit salad I make! Haven't had it for years. This is the only company I know of that makes it gluten-free.....

I do have to ask , do you have any relatives that were from Pennsylvania? My husband's Aunt was married to a Love & they traveled all over the world. I know they had two adopted children....

Enjoy your trip

blessings

mamaw

Jestgar Rising Star

Yum!! The nice thing about not eating bread is that you have more room for all the really good stuff they put on the bread.

I think I'm having tomatoes and mozzarella for lunch :droolface:

kenlove Rising Star

No relatives from PA but I used to stay in Sonnestown 35+ years ago. Great area near Eagles mere

Try writing to Antonio Rotunno at Bio Alimenta and see if he has a US or Canada distribution yet. I know they were wroking on it. They do make some fantastic pasta.

take care

Hi Ken

It sounds like you are having a wonderful time. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.If only I liked to fly!

I revisited the bio aliments site once again .... do you know if they would ship to the US? I would love to have a bag or two of the acini de pepe for a fruit salad I make! Haven't had it for years. This is the only company I know of that makes it gluten-free.....

I do have to ask , do you have any relatives that were from Pennsylvania? My husband's Aunt was married to a Love & they traveled all over the world. I know they had two adopted children....

Enjoy your trip

blessings

mamaw

kenlove Rising Star

SO true! Just the differentces between mozzarellas here is mind boggling!

Yum!! The nice thing about not eating bread is that you have more room for all the really good stuff they put on the bread.

• 1 year later...
Guest Dori827

I know it's 18 months later, but had a question. Our 22 year old daughter is in Milan for 6 months working at a post-college internship. I was diagnosed with Celiac and dairy allergy last fall. When she got home from college in January, we had all her blood work done, and she, too, has celiac and dairy allergy. We didn't find out until she was already there. She is thinking she will never be able to make it work to be gluten-free/DF during her time there.

Do you have any tips for her that aren't too costly?

Thanks much!

Jestgar Rising Star

If she's on a budget isn't she making her own food most of the time anyway? That's pretty easy to control.

As for eating out, I found much less contamination in the foods, so ordering a rice dish was always safe without grilling the chef on his technique.

momxyz Contributor

I do hope you will report back on your experiences in Italy, even if it's after you get home! I have read that there is actually quite an awareness of celiac disease and the necessity of a gluten free diet in Italy.... I have read that children there are screened for it at an early age. Other traveler's reports I have read have indicated that it is actually a gluten-free friendly country! I hope you experience the same.

A

momxyz Contributor

I do hope you will report back on your experiences in Italy, even if it's after you get home! I have read that there is actually quite an awareness of celiac disease and the necessity of a gluten free diet in Italy.... I have read that children there are screened for it at an early age. Other traveler's reports I have read have indicated that it is actually a gluten-free friendly country! I hope you experience the same.

A

oopsss just realized how old the original post was!

kenlove Rising Star

Perhaps [part of the problem is the overall cost of everything! $8. for a bottle of water was absurd. Depending on where in Milan she is, try to find the local small grocery stores and watch the sales. One of the forum members lives in Milan and was a big help to me and I hope she sees this. It was very easy to eat everywhere in Milan and everyone knows celiac or maybe I should say cheliaco--Check different neighborhood pharmacia for gluten-free items and dont shop in tourist areas or near hotels would be the best tip i could offer..

good luck

ken

I know it's 18 months later, but had a question. Our 22 year old daughter is in Milan for 6 months working at a post-college internship. I was diagnosed with Celiac and dairy allergy last fall. When she got home from college in January, we had all her blood work done, and she, too, has celiac and dairy allergy. We didn't find out until she was already there. She is thinking she will never be able to make it work to be gluten-free/DF during her time there.

Do you have any tips for her that aren't too costly?

Thanks much!

Guest Dori827

Do you know the forum member who lives in Milan? that would probably be a great help. She is making most of her food, but has used dairy for her main source of protein, and she is living in a very small place. I am hoping she will find the time to cook more vegetables and lean meats, but, as she says, EVERYTHING is terribly expensive.

I will forward her this thread and look forward to hearing who the Milan member is!

kenlove Rising Star

Hi, I hope she sees this thread in Milan. Just had a baby so I'm not sure hope often she accesses.

If you email me, i'll send it to my wife who hI think has the email in Milan. Mine is kenlove@kona.net

take care

Do you know the forum member who lives in Milan? that would probably be a great help. She is making most of her food, but has used dairy for her main source of protein, and she is living in a very small place. I am hoping she will find the time to cook more vegetables and lean meats, but, as she says, EVERYTHING is terribly expensive.

I will forward her this thread and look forward to hearing who the Milan member is!

• 1 year later...
hipretty Apprentice

What's that jegster sweet creamery butter! ;)

Archived