This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Burger King, Macdonalds, Wendys, Arbys

deener

deener Apprentice

I used to be a junkfood junkie. So Maybe my diagnoses 4 yrs ago was a big help. But every once in a while, There are times when they are unavoidable. Would you trust fast food restaraunts when you say "whopper with no bun please!" Does anyone ever eat just the meat, veggies, and condiments? B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Professor Rookie

Nope, I personally wouldn't do that. I figure they make the "bunless" burger on the same counter as the regular ones, and no doubt they pick up crumbs and residue. npth from the counter and from the gloves they wear making all the burgers (bunned and bunless). Too fanatical? Maybe, but that's the way I do it. And who knows with their condiments? Or Arby's pressed roast beef -- lots and lots of lunch meats have modified food starch in them.

I have eaten out so rarely in the past three or four years -- I say I "never" do, but in fact do eat out maybe once a year, something totally safe (trust me -- I'm fanatical!).

But I'm planning a trip to Manhattan in March, and have already found a few gluten-free restaurants and coffee shops. Looking forward to that! :D (Check out Open Original Shared Link -- they are gluten-free and dairy free. You can't bring anything into their shop. They even make their own almond milk for the coffee. And the food looks luscious! I think I'll get a hotel room nearby, and just eat there three meals a day :P )

OK, rambling -- hope that answers it from my perspective?

Patty

lovegrov Collaborator

I'd agree that all of these places have cross contamination problems or possible problems, but if you want to see what's gluten-free, go to the web page for almost any fast food place and you'll either find a list of what's gluten-free or a complete list of ingredients, with nothing hiddne.

BTW, last time I checked, Arby's roast beef was indeed gluten-free, and so are 95 percent or more of lunch meats. Even foods with modified food starch are almost always gluten-free -- you just have to check.

richard

celiac3270 Collaborator

Professor :P ,

Thank you for that HappyHappyHappy place. I live in NYC, but never realized how much there was in this city for celiacs. Over the past few months, I've learned of many specifically gluten-free restaurants, bakerys, delis, etc. Thanks for adding another to my list--I'll definitely check it out. If you have any questions or need any suggestions with eating here, I might be able to help :)

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I only do MacDonalds fries and I trust them, especially if they have good health inspection grade.

Professor, have fun in Manhattan! I love being there. There are so many places to eat and get goodies. Mmm, my mouth waters thinking back to my last visit there!

darlindeb25 Collaborator
;) i have had a baked potato with cheese as wendy's in michigan and long island along with towms between here and there--i also have had frosty's from wendys at lots of wendy's--fries at mcdonalds--fries at burger king before too and believe me--i dont trust hardly anyone with this tummy-----deb
KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I will have McDonalds fries and hash browns and Wendy's frosty's but I am very careful when it comes to other things because of cross contamination.

You got to be very careful.

I definately would not get the burgers at a fast food place even if they are bunless. There is so much risk for cross contamination because they have a lot of bread around.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

I wouldn't risk the burgers, either. I have not experimented with any fast food places, but trust McDonalds. I always ask to make sure that the fries are in a dedicated fryer and I've never found a situation where they weren't. The McD's fries are all I've tried eating and since I know that they are okay, I haven't risked any other fastfood joint, particularly since McDonalds has the greatest reputation with celiacs, I think.

astyanax Rookie

i rarely eat out but twice in the past year i've gotten french fries from BK and both times there was an onion ring in there. personally i think BK fries are the best but it's too risky for cross contamination

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yes I have had that happen to be before to...with an onion ring in my fries...that i believe was the last time i was there at BK since I have had celiac. I agree they are very good personally nothing to me can beat the McDonalds fries...yum :D

jmengert Enthusiast

I'm with most of you: I don't trust any meat product at a fast-food restaurant simply because of cross-contamination.

But, at McDonald's, their apple dippers are prewrapped and come with prewrapped caramel dipping sauce--all gluten-free and wonderful! (and pretty healthy!)

I also get their salads, which are prepackaged, without the chicken (it's actually the chicken caesar salad without the chicken) and have had success there, too--and most (or all?) of their salad dressings are gluten-free, too--nice to have some healthy options at McDonald's!

Professor Rookie
I will have McDonalds . . . hash browns

Watch those things -- my daughter went to Burger King the other day, and said that the little "hash rounds" have modified food starch in them. I'm assuming you've checked and there's none in McD's. We have a gluten-free household, and my daughter also told me that the frozen kinds in the grocery store often have MFS. Yes, as it's been pointed out that most MFS is safe, but I make it a personal rule to never touch it, regardless.

Oh, here's a place in Manhattan that I can't wait to try on that trip:

Open Original Shared Link

I already called and talked to them on the phone, and they have two separate kitchen areas, separate cookware and dishes, and so on, so they understand cross-contamination. I'm looking forward to this one! :D

Patty

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yes McDonalds offers a gluten-free list hash browns are on that. Where I live they have a separate frier for the fries and the hash browns :D I make sure everything I eat and the products I use are gluten-free. It's not worth me getting sick. I don't go to BK anymore....the only things I usually eat out at fast food places for are the hash browns, fries, salads and I can get those at McDonalds and I'll have an occasional frosty from Wendy's as well. :D

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Risotteria is the best! We ordered 3 gluten-free pizzas- one with ham (my brother), one with cheese (my Mom), and one cheeseless (mine) and all came out perfect! I LOVED it! My brother and I wished we had time to go back. It is for sure on my favourite list! Also, just a short walk away is Sacred Chow which offers someyummie goodies.

Sigh, I would love to live in Greenwich/West Village.

Professor Rookie
Where I live they have a separate frier for the fries and the hash browns :D

Very good! Aren't you lucky! B) My daughter always checks, even though she doesn't have celiac disease (that we know of yet), but just because we have a gluten-free house, so she can't bring take-out home if it has gluten.

And "SuicidalTurtle," thanks for the recommendation on the restaurant -- my mouth is already watering. My brother and his wife are also spending the week with me in NYC, so places like that will work for everyone. Any more suggestions, anyone??? This trip is going to be a gastronomic delight! :P Won't be able to fit into my clothes by the flight home. :D

Patty

Guest Leidenschaft

In my town, I have been able to trust McD's fries (my favourite!) and hashbrowns. Even though they do have a dedicated frier, I have at times suspected cross contamination, and now even request that they be bagged separately from my husband's burger.

From Wendy's I have had their Chili (almost as good as mine!!) :D from both restaurants in town without problems. I have also had their baked potatoes. I've not done BK since I've never been a fan.

I have been known to drive through McD's for fries and then on to Wendy's for my Chili and Ron's meal! :P They give me funny looks when I pull up to the window eating the competition's fries! :wacko:

Fortunately, we have a little cafe around the corner from work who really understand Celiacs. The head cook's mother and sister are celiac disease. On occassion I've been contaminated, but usually if it's been super busy when I go in. I try to order when it's quieter.

Btw, when I order Chili at Wendy's I ask for the counter staff to dish it up, not the sandwich makers with their "crumby" gloves! ;)

lovegrov Collaborator

If you are avoiding MFS because of a fear of gluten in it then you are missing out on a lot of things you can eat. All you have to do is ask the manufacturer what it's made from. Or in the case of Kraft and quite a few other companies, it will clearly say so if it's made from wheat. Same thing with "natural flavors." You have to check, but it's only very, very rarely made with wheat.

richard

Professor Rookie
If you are avoiding MFS because of a fear of gluten in it then you are missing out on a lot of things you can eat.

richard

I think you mean me, Richard? I assume so, since I'm the only one talking about avoiding MFS. :)

Am I missing much? Oh, I don't think so! I eat very well, thank you -- probably better than most. ;)

My mottos are, eat to live, not live to eat, and eat only food (no chemicals, steroids, hormones, pesticides) . . . :) And in doing all that, I also easily avoid gluten. Finally, I also can't have eggs, soy, or dairy, so by the time I get through that list, what's left, right? :P

Thanks for thinking of me, though . . . you can have the "goodies" (or "baddies," depending on how you look at them) for both of us! :D And I am planning my binge at the gluten-free restaurants in Manhattan next month. Even the most devout take a vacation once in a while. ;) So I'll get my treats, and then, back on the wagon.

Best,

Patty

Nadtorious Rookie

I just had to add my thoughts because your post made me giggle, Professor. I too make all my foods from scratch, after the nasty discovery last summer that many convenience foods I was eating were making me quite ill-both mainstream and replacement-type foods. Since then I've felt a million times better. Unless it's got only one ingredient, I rarely use it.

My rule of thumb is, even when checking with the maker of the product, if your body doesn't like it, don't eat it! If it makes you sick, then obviously something isn't right. Eat to live is definetely my style.

By the way, when I do cheat, it's with the "gluten free" foods that still make me ill. I haven't cheated in a long time ;)

Every celiac has a different level of tolerance.

Nadia

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

That's what i thought already, too. That with the crumbs on the bunless burger, because they use the same countertop and touch it with the same gloves <_<. Now you made my decision a lot easier to stay away from that. But i still will keep on eating the french fries at Micky D's. Thanks!!! :lol:

Guest ~wAvE WeT sAnD~
If you are avoiding MFS because of a fear of gluten in it then you are missing out on a lot of things you can eat.

That is true...my only contention with that is I would basically have to call EVERY company for the products I touch...and that number is HUGE.

The best thing I have done in regard to MFS is to only buy Modified Corn Starch--hopefully in '06 when the Allergen Bill is released, the select few companies out there (such as Kraft) will continue list everything...or, more realistically, the number of companies who are willing to do so will increase.

Sincerely,

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Hi Jill,

just read your word about the allergen bill and thought i throw my two cents in :P . Well, you guys know, that in Europe a lot of countries already have such a law. And in germany every manufacturer has to wright it on the lable until no later than (i think) november 2005. And now some manufacturer are already starting to put "May contain traces of gluten" on the label. Even if it's impossible for the stuff to have gluten (and it was on the list as gluten free before) in it, just because they are afraid of being sued (sp?) and they are too lazy (or too ignorant) to get information :angry: about what gluten really is.

Just thought i let you know.

Hugs, Stef

lovegrov Collaborator

"I think you mean me, Richard? I assume so, since I'm the only one talking about avoiding MFS.

Am I missing much? Oh, I don't think so! I eat very well, thank you -- probably better than most."

This is why I said in my post IF you are avoiding MFS ONLY because of a fear of gluten. It appears you are avoiding it for other reasons, which is, of course, anybody's right to do. I too eat and cook largely with fresh ingredients although I sometimes stray into processed stuff for convenience.

I do think, however, it's a good idea on lists like this to make it clear you avoid something like MFS for reasons other than gluten. Otherwise people who are new might read one of your posts and assume they have to avoid all MFS because it all has or might have gluten. If you had made this clear in an earlier post and I missed it, I apologize.

richard

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

FYI,

If something says "Modified Foood Starch" and its food int he USA, it is almost always Corn Starch.

I would say around 90% of the time.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I don't eat out at any fast food places. The only thing I will order is pop. Contamination is too risky. Even if they say "gluten free" they are many ways to make the food contaminated,

-they can use the same utentils for touching gluten products and gluten free products

-they can use the same oil for frying

-most places wear gloves and if you ask for no bun they have probably been touching buns with their hands/gloves all day and wouldn't think to wash or replace the gloves.

-they may place gluten items on their grill

I have worked in the fast food industryand the goal is to get you in and out as fast as they can (especially in drive thru) because it is so busy and so many customers, so most people wouldn't take the time to make sure there is no contamination.

Archived