This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Three gluten-free Days In Nyc

IMWalt

IMWalt Contributor

Last week I mentioned that I was in NYC and webnt to a famous soul-food restaurant in Harlem called Sylvia's. I ate corn-bread and some vanilla wafers there and paid the price. I was in NYC for the last three dayas, and this time I decided I would see how difficult it would be to stay true to my gluten-free diet.

I brought a bag of mixed nuts with me as well as some rice-krispie type treats I make. I figured they would get me through when I couldn't find anything else. I ate those when my son wanted pizza. It was killing me not to join him, but I toughed it out. Sunday night we went to a place on 20th and 3rd called Barfly. A small little pub that supposedly has the best burgers in the city. I ordered mine without bun, and had brown rice as a side. All was well. The next morning I called a friend at work and got the name of a bakery nearby that offers gluten-free treats. It is called The City Bakery and is at 3 W 18th. All they had gluten-free was miso-apple muffin and plain miso muffin. I got the apple. It was good, but at $3.50 no bargain. Travelled to Long Island for the rest of the day, and for lunch got a feta and spinach omelet at a small place in Stony Brook. I declined the toast and did not eat the has brown patty that came with it because I know they have wheat in them.

Went to the Yankees game that night, and would have loved having a Nathan's hot dog along with my son, but I had brought that bag of nuts and ate those instead. After the game we ended up at a place on 14th called Good Stuff Diner. Ordered a grilled Ahi tuna steak with baked potato and grilled veggies.

The next morning I stopped at the Whole Foods on 14th and picked up a container of gluten-free chocolate chip cookies from the freezer case. Ended up eating all of them on the way to the Statue of Liberty. It was a little too much sugar at one time, but still gluten-free. The biggest challenge was another trip to Sylvia's. This time I did not eat the cornbread, and had grilled chicken with collards and candied yams. My son ate my share of the corn bread.

It was tough not eating all the NY foods I love, but this trip I did not have any digestive issues, and I know I can keep the gluten-free candle buring when I am in the big apple. In fact, it was easier than I thought it was going to be. There are always plenty of vendors selling fresh fruit, and I will look up other GHF bakeries and learn additional Whole Foods and Trader Joe locations.

All in all a big success.

Walt

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Janessa Rookie

I went to New York last month and wrote about on another site (copy and pasted below) there are so many places to eat gluten free (I'm vegetarian too). You can get pizza and mac and cheese!! It was so good and I ate so much because I didn't want to miss out on any gluten free goodies.

"So I went to New York for business and I tried to eat at as many gluten free places as I could, so here's what I ate and I didn't get sick once:

S'mac - all mac and cheese any of which can be made gluten free, I don't eat a lot of dairy so I found it very rich but so delicious even their breadcrumbs are gluten free.

345 E 12th St at 2nd Ave

Sambuco - nice Italian restaurant, has a separate gluten free menu with lots of choices. They brought me out gluten free bread when they saw me looking at the gluten free menu, I got the pasta primavera it was very good, definitely would recommend.

20 W 72nd St at Central Park West

Bonobo's - raw place, not that great but no gluten in the whole place so no worries about cc, but probably wouldn't go there again

18 E 23rd St at Broadway

Risotteria - little Italian cafe, tons of gluten free options, pizzas, paninis, and risotto, 4 choices of gluten free beer and the breadsticks they bring out to everyone are gluten free. I got a pizza which was good although absolutely drowning in cheese was much better once I took most of it off so you may want to ask for very little or no cheese when ordering. Would go here again for sure.

270 Bleeker St @ 7th Ave

Babycakes - cute little bakery has tons of gluten free goodies (they use spelt in some items) I got a lemon cupcake and a cinnamon toastie both were so good, I think the best gluten-free desserts I've had. I am in LA and was happy to hear they are opening one in West Hollywood end of this summer.

248 Broome St at Orchard

Also went to Moo Shoes and got some cute vegan shoes

78 Orchard near Broome"

elonwy Enthusiast

Just want to chime in with Risotteria is my favorite restuarant in NY. I eat there every time I go. Yum!

eastsidegal Newbie

Hi Janessa,

Thank you for that list of

good places to eat in nyc

I can`t wait to go, just to

have a pizza in a restaurant

how lovely.

I went to New York last month and wrote about on another site (copy and pasted below) there are so many places to eat gluten free (I'm vegetarian too). You can get pizza and mac and cheese!! It was so good and I ate so much because I didn't want to miss out on any gluten free goodies.

"So I went to New York for business and I tried to eat at as many gluten free places as I could, so here's what I ate and I didn't get sick once:

S'mac - all mac and cheese any of which can be made gluten free, I don't eat a lot of dairy so I found it very rich but so delicious even their breadcrumbs are gluten free.

345 E 12th St at 2nd Ave

Sambuco - nice Italian restaurant, has a separate gluten free menu with lots of choices. They brought me out gluten free bread when they saw me looking at the gluten free menu, I got the pasta primavera it was very good, definitely would recommend.

20 W 72nd St at Central Park West

Bonobo's - raw place, not that great but no gluten in the whole place so no worries about cc, but probably wouldn't go there again

18 E 23rd St at Broadway

Risotteria - little Italian cafe, tons of gluten free options, pizzas, paninis, and risotto, 4 choices of gluten free beer and the breadsticks they bring out to everyone are gluten free. I got a pizza which was good although absolutely drowning in cheese was much better once I took most of it off so you may want to ask for very little or no cheese when ordering. Would go here again for sure.

270 Bleeker St @ 7th Ave

Babycakes - cute little bakery has tons of gluten free goodies (they use spelt in some items) I got a lemon cupcake and a cinnamon toastie both were so good, I think the best gluten-free desserts I've had. I am in LA and was happy to hear they are opening one in West Hollywood end of this summer.

248 Broome St at Orchard

Also went to Moo Shoes and got some cute vegan shoes

78 Orchard near Broome"

IMWalt Contributor
S'mac - 345 E 12th St at 2nd Ave

Sambuco - 20 W 72nd St at Central Park West

Risotteria -

270 Bleeker St @ 7th Ave

Oh, man. Now I really can't wait for my next NYC trip. I bet I have walked by the place on Bleeker Street. I wish I had this list a couple days ago. We stayed at 14th and 3rd. Would have been a short walk to S'mac. I was planning on staying on West 77th next time, so I'll try Sambuco for sure.

Thanks a million!

Walt

kbtoyssni Contributor

Thanks for posting! I am planning a trip to NYC in a few months so I'll be sure to print out your suggestions.

Archived