28 replies to this topic

#16 VydorScope

VydorScope

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 04:08 AM

I find it intresting that you think its a moral issue weather or not to go gluten-free. I am not at all clear how it is? The only time I hear of diets having morality are typicaly from Vegitiairins who preach in your face that eating meat is moraly wrong. Any other time, diet is just a choice, some times forced by an allergy/etc, some times just a choice. Tieing up morality into it just seems very odd to me. I guess I am just niave about these things, but if some one said to me "Hear eat this" and I did not want to, I would just say "No thanks" and move on. :)

If your looking for a convient excuse to use, tell the truth, Wheat makes you feel sick (which you basicly said in your post, unless I read it wrong) so you aviod it.

My wife has a deadly nut allergy, so I am very used to telling ppl that we wont eat thier food if they can not garrentee the nut contents. No one has ever questioned me on it, or given me a hard time about it. Now because of my son, I just add gluten to the list to tell ppl to keep in thier own dang bodies. :)

As ofr you orginal question, if you want to go gluten-free, the reason does not matter, just do it. Its your body and health, your call. No one elses (uless your male and get married, then its your wife's call LOL!!!)

- Vincent -

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 05:45 AM

I have chosen not to eat soy. I don't care if anyone else has a problem with that. That would be their problem, not mine.

Make sure you are getting a balanced diet, whatever you decide.

Laura
Michigan

#18 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 07:41 AM

I have chosen not to eat soy. I don't care if anyone else has a problem with that. That would be their problem, not mine.

Make sure you are getting a balanced diet, whatever you decide.

Laura

Exactly :D

- Vincent -

#19 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2005 - 08:02 AM

I think just for fun, I'm going to throw a spanner into the discussion.
Why, when we are so passionate about someone telling us that we should eat gluten containing foods, that we insist on telling someone who feels perfectly healthy and fit, that whole grains, including wheat is "not good" for them? :rolleyes:
I'm finding that a bit odd.
Yes .. gluten is terrible for us and makes us very ill.
But ... who are we to say that it doesn't work for some people? After all ... we are not the same in personality, or digestive systems. My husband, who eats gluten containing foods each and every day of his life, has never been ill, except for the odd cold and injury. Should I be telling him that gluten isn't good for him? After all, he is certainly healthier than I have ever been?
Just my thoughts on the subject ;)

#20 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 08:07 AM

Because our digestive systems were not made to digest wheat and we cannot fully digest it as we do with rice, corn, etc. And that's not just celiacs--everyone. We went something like 10,000 years without wheat and then it was introduced to our diet. It's not good for anyone, celiac or not, though it obviously causes more problems in us than in non-celiacs.

#21 dogear

dogear

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 08:28 AM

I find it intresting that you think its a moral issue weather or not to go gluten-free. I am not at all clear how it is? The only time I hear of diets having morality are typicaly from Vegitiairins who preach in your face that eating meat is moraly wrong.>[QUOTE]

I suppose it was more the "How dare you turn down good food when children are starving in Sudan?!" angle more so than anything else. I also felt guilty since rice requires more water to grow than wheat. (Even if millet and potatoes need less, while corn, sorghum, and tapioca are about the same.) I was afraid that eating more rice would mean using up more water.

I was also afraid that it would end up needlessly burdening friends and family, and/or that it would be seen as pretending to have a disease that I don't really have. Or that it would just come across as obnoxious and high maintainence and such.

#22 dogear

dogear

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:54 PM

[QUOTE]

#23 dogear

dogear

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:57 PM

[think just for fun, I'm going to throw a spanner into the discussion.
Why, when we are so passionate about someone telling us that we should eat gluten containing foods, that we insist on telling someone who feels perfectly healthy and fit, that whole grains, including wheat is "not good" for them?
I'm finding that a bit odd.]

I don't!

I wish somebody had told me that wheat is just plain unhealthy YEARS AGO. And preferably presented it in a way that didn't mean one had to take up an "Atkins" style diet or something!

I can't see why anybody in their right mind, would every want to eat wheat, once they had actually tried the gluten-free diet. My feeling is that if you try it, you'll neve want to go back. And I can't understand how anyone could see it any other way!

#24 dogear

dogear

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:58 PM

[QUOTEthink just for fun, I'm going to throw a spanner into the discussion.
Why, when we are so passionate about someone telling us that we should eat gluten containing foods, that we insist on telling someone who feels perfectly healthy and fit, that whole grains, including wheat is "not good" for them?
I'm finding that a bit odd]
I don't!

I wish somebody had told me that wheat is just plain unhealthy YEARS AGO. And preferably presented it in a way that didn't mean one had to take up an "Atkins" style diet or something!

I can't see why anybody in their right mind, would every want to eat wheat, once they had actually tried the gluten-free diet. My feeling is that if you try it, you'll neve want to go back. And I can't understand how anyone could see it any other way!

#25 Kathleen carol

Kathleen carol

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:14 AM

Hello. I am reading this forum and planning to go gluten free. I do not have celiac disease. In this discussion, the question of why eating that way.... A woman I met said, "and if people don't have celiac disease, I think it's a healthier way to eat anyway." her comment and several like it have spurred me to study and try to do this. I want to be healthier and less tired, etc. To enjoy my grandkids more, etc. Thanks, all, for this great support.

#26 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:00 PM

So it's true that nobody here has a problem with the idea of a non-celiac going gluten free?!

I don't have celiac disease, that I know of, (never been tested, but don't particularly suspect it) and have very seriously wanted to be on a gluten free diet since about 1998. But I feared that it would be morally wrong to undertake such an unusual diet, without medical cause. I thought that if people with celiac disease ran into me and knew of it, that I could expect venom (and that I would fully deserve it). ;)

One of my friends has celiac and watching somebody else on a gluten free diet that I wanted, but thought I had no moral right to was extremely hard. So I ended up going gluten free in September of 2004. I was certain that I was doing something horribly immoral, that my friend would want nothing more to do with me if he knew of it, and that I was a horrible person. :D
I couldn't imagine that there were any other gluten free nonceliacs in the world, save Dana Korn a few other relatives like her. Now it turns out, that half the people on this web believe the "wheat isn't good for anyone" school of thought.

Of course the diet does make me feel HUGELY better, which seems as good a reason as any to stop feeling guilty about the whole thing. ;)

I could have been rational sooner and noticed that the boom in gluten free products probably isn't being driven by the few celiacs who actually are diagnosed alone, and that vegetarians were considered just as odd, not too long ago.

I think it's important to do what makes you feel better. Not eating wheat is not harming anyone. It only bugs me when people go fake gluten free - when they are all "blah blah I can't eat a speck of gluten, woe is me!" and then turn around and eat a piece of regular cake "just this once".

Wheat is just another food. It's hard to get away from the "wheat is so healthy and so important to our diet!" mentality. There's an awful lot of propaganda out there. Actually, it makes an awful lot of people very sick. The rest think gas, bloating and taking antacids after meals is normal. I used to consider tums (and their equivalent) a staple after every meal. I haven't touched one since the day I went gluten free. If everyone stopped eating gluten, the bottom would drop of that market in no time.

I think I understand what you mean, that it seems wrong to do something really hard when some people have to but you're just making it a personal choice (like, if you took to a wheelchair when you could walk just fine). But the thing is - being gluten free isn't really hard. You aren't suffering, you feel better. It's only made hard because we live in a society where some derivative of wheat is in every freaking product, but that's only because as a society, processed food is so dominant. If you eat fresh, unprocessed foods then you quickly realise that wheat (and barely, oats and rye) are only a fraction of all the awesome things out there to eat. You aren't making yourself suffer on purpose, to elicit sympathy and be a martyr. You're cutting out a product that makes you feel crummy and there are plenty of ways of getting the "benefits" provided by wheat. I personally can't stand red wine. I'm always reading about all these health-benefits we hear about drinking one glass of wine a day but I'm not going to drink the stuff because 'they' say it's good for us.

ETA - ha, I just saw the date on the post I quoted! Well, I hope she's enjoying being gluten free and anyone reading this - don't feel bad if you chose the same path.

#27 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:47 PM

Although still relevant as a whole, this thread is from 2005 and that person has either become gluten free or not by now so it's not relevent to that particular person anymore.

To continue the general discussion however, I am on a gluten free diet because my daughter is a senitive coeliac which means we cannot have gluten in the home or in the car at all. That means that for the health of my family the entire house is a gluten free house. However for ethical and environmental reasons we are vegan. It is alo a healthier diet for us to have but that's an added bonus and not our reason for becoming vegan in the first place.

There are many reasons why people take on any diet for themselves and I fully agree with the point about rice taking more water than wheat which makes it a valid argument. Of course for many people it's unavoidable to have a gluten free diet and for many others they choose that way of life because they feel better even if they have no diagnosed reason to be on the diet.
Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#28 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:21 AM

Personally for myself only. I agree with anna!

Also - if I could eat gluten I would. I don't like having to worry ever time I walk outside my house, having little panic attacks eating out. I don't like being scared of food...
HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

#29 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:56 AM

Also - if I could eat gluten I would.

Me, too, because I just love(d) gluten-y food so darned much! I will never, ever forget it. Not only that but I find it soooooo hard walking past bakeries, patisseries and pizza places (especially in Europe) without feeling sad. :( I am not to the place yet where I am comfortable attending social events that revolve around food such as church banquets and food festivals. As an obsessed foodie cooking and baking at home are easy but for someone who is so passionate about anything culinary it can be trying outside our house.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: