This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Non Celiac Going Gluten-free

krazikat

anabananakins Explorer

So it's true that nobody here has a problem with the idea of a non-celiac going gluten free?!

I don't have celiac disease, that I know of, (never been tested, but don't particularly suspect it) and have very seriously wanted to be on a gluten free diet since about 1998. But I feared that it would be morally wrong to undertake such an unusual diet, without medical cause. I thought that if people with celiac disease ran into me and knew of it, that I could expect venom (and that I would fully deserve it). ;)

One of my friends has celiac and watching somebody else on a gluten free diet that I wanted, but thought I had no moral right to was extremely hard. So I ended up going gluten free in September of 2004. I was certain that I was doing something horribly immoral, that my friend would want nothing more to do with me if he knew of it, and that I was a horrible person. :D

I couldn't imagine that there were any other gluten free nonceliacs in the world, save Dana Korn a few other relatives like her. Now it turns out, that half the people on this web believe the "wheat isn't good for anyone" school of thought.

Of course the diet does make me feel HUGELY better, which seems as good a reason as any to stop feeling guilty about the whole thing. ;)

I could have been rational sooner and noticed that the boom in gluten free products probably isn't being driven by the few celiacs who actually are diagnosed alone, and that vegetarians were considered just as odd, not too long ago.

I think it's important to do what makes you feel better. Not eating wheat is not harming anyone. It only bugs me when people go fake gluten free - when they are all "blah blah I can't eat a speck of gluten, woe is me!" and then turn around and eat a piece of regular cake "just this once".

Wheat is just another food. It's hard to get away from the "wheat is so healthy and so important to our diet!" mentality. There's an awful lot of propaganda out there. Actually, it makes an awful lot of people very sick. The rest think gas, bloating and taking antacids after meals is normal. I used to consider tums (and their equivalent) a staple after every meal. I haven't touched one since the day I went gluten free. If everyone stopped eating gluten, the bottom would drop of that market in no time.

I think I understand what you mean, that it seems wrong to do something really hard when some people have to but you're just making it a personal choice (like, if you took to a wheelchair when you could walk just fine). But the thing is - being gluten free isn't really hard. You aren't suffering, you feel better. It's only made hard because we live in a society where some derivative of wheat is in every freaking product, but that's only because as a society, processed food is so dominant. If you eat fresh, unprocessed foods then you quickly realise that wheat (and barely, oats and rye) are only a fraction of all the awesome things out there to eat. You aren't making yourself suffer on purpose, to elicit sympathy and be a martyr. You're cutting out a product that makes you feel crummy and there are plenty of ways of getting the "benefits" provided by wheat. I personally can't stand red wine. I'm always reading about all these health-benefits we hear about drinking one glass of wine a day but I'm not going to drink the stuff because 'they' say it's good for us.

ETA - ha, I just saw the date on the post I quoted! Well, I hope she's enjoying being gluten free and anyone reading this - don't feel bad if you chose the same path.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

come dance with me Enthusiast

Although still relevant as a whole, this thread is from 2005 and that person has either become gluten free or not by now so it's not relevent to that particular person anymore.

To continue the general discussion however, I am on a gluten free diet because my daughter is a senitive coeliac which means we cannot have gluten in the home or in the car at all. That means that for the health of my family the entire house is a gluten free house. However for ethical and environmental reasons we are vegan. It is alo a healthier diet for us to have but that's an added bonus and not our reason for becoming vegan in the first place.

There are many reasons why people take on any diet for themselves and I fully agree with the point about rice taking more water than wheat which makes it a valid argument. Of course for many people it's unavoidable to have a gluten free diet and for many others they choose that way of life because they feel better even if they have no diagnosed reason to be on the diet.

beebs Enthusiast

Personally for myself only. I agree with anna!

Also - if I could eat gluten I would. I don't like having to worry ever time I walk outside my house, having little panic attacks eating out. I don't like being scared of food...

love2travel Mentor

Also - if I could eat gluten I would.

Me, too, because I just love(d) gluten-y food so darned much! I will never, ever forget it. Not only that but I find it soooooo hard walking past bakeries, patisseries and pizza places (especially in Europe) without feeling sad. :( I am not to the place yet where I am comfortable attending social events that revolve around food such as church banquets and food festivals. As an obsessed foodie cooking and baking at home are easy but for someone who is so passionate about anything culinary it can be trying outside our house.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

angie78
    Newest Member
    angie78
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Fluka66
      Thank you again for your reply and comments which I have read carefully as I appreciate any input at this stage. I'm tending to listen to what my body wants me to do, having been in agony for many years any respite has been welcome and avoiding all wheat and lactose has thankfully brought this.  When in pain before I was seen by a number of gynacologists as I had 22 fibroids and had an operation 13 years ago to shrink them . However the pain remained and intensified to the point over the years where I began passing out. I was in and out of a&e during covid when waiting rooms where empty. My present diet is the only thing that's given me any hope for the future. As I say I had never heard of celiac disease before starting so I guess had this not come up in a conversation I would just have carried on. It was the swollen lymph node that sent me to a boots pharmacist who immediately sent me to a&e where a Dr asked questions prescribed antibiotics and then back to my GP. I'm now waiting for my hospital appointment . Hope this answers your question. I found out more about the disease because I googled something I wouldn't normally do, it did shed light on the disease but I also read some things that this disease can do. On good days I actually hope I haven't got this but on further investigation my mother's side of the family all Celtic have had various problems 're stomach pain my poor grandmother cried in pain as did her sister whilst two of her brother's survived WW2 but died from ulcers put down to stress of fighting.  Wishing you well with your recovery.  Many thanks  
    • knitty kitty
      Welcome to the forum, @Nacina, What supplements is your son taking?
    • knitty kitty
      @BluegrassCeliac, I'm agreeing.  It's a good thing taking magnesium. And B vitamins. Magnesium and Thiamine work together.  If you supplement the B vitamins which include Thiamine, but don't have sufficient magnesium, Thiamine won't work well.  If you take Magnesium, but not Thiamine, magnesium won't work as well by itself. Hydrochlorothiazide HCTZ is a sulfonamide drug, a sulfa drug.  So are proton pump inhibitors PPIs, and SSRIs. High dose Thiamine is used to resolve cytokine storms.  High dose Thiamine was used in patients having cytokine storms in Covid infections.  Magnesium supplementation also improves cytokine storms, and was also used during Covid. How's your Vitamin D? References: Thiamine and magnesium deficiencies: keys to disease https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25542071/ Hiding in Plain Sight: Modern Thiamine Deficiency https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8533683/ The Effect of a High-Dose Vitamin B Multivitamin Supplement on the Relationship between Brain Metabolism and Blood Biomarkers of Oxidative Stress: A Randomized Control Trial https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6316433/ High‐dose Vitamin B6 supplementation reduces anxiety and strengthens visual surround suppression https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9787829/ Repurposing Treatment of Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome for Th-17 Cell Immune Storm Syndrome and Neurological Symptoms in COVID-19: Thiamine Efficacy and Safety, In-Vitro Evidence and Pharmacokinetic Profile https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33737877/ Higher Intake of Dietary Magnesium Is Inversely Associated With COVID-19 Severity and Symptoms in Hospitalized Patients: A Cross-Sectional Study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9132593/ Magnesium and Vitamin D Deficiency as a Potential Cause of Immune Dysfunction, Cytokine Storm and Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation in covid-19 patients https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7861592/ Sulfonamide Hypersensitivity https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31495421/
    • BluegrassCeliac
      Hi,   Not saying Thiamine (B1) couldn't be an issue as well, but Mg was definitely the cause of my problems. It's the only thing that worked. I supplemented with B vitamins, but that didn't change anything, in fact they made me sick. Mg stopped all my muscle pain (HCTZ) within a few months and fixed all the intestinal problems HCTZ caused as well. Mom has an allergy to some sulfa drugs (IgG Celiac too), but I don't think I've ever taken them. Mg boosted my energy as well. It solved a lot of problems. I take 1000mg MgO a day with no problems. I boost absorption with Vitamin D. Some people can't take MgO,  like mom, she takes Mg Glycinate. It's one of those things that someone has try and find the right form for themselves. Everyone's different. Mg deficiency can cause anxiety and is a treatment for it. A pharmacist gave me a list of drugs years ago that cause Mg deficiency: PPIs, H2 bockers, HCTZ, some beta blockers (metoprolol which I've taken -- horrible side effects), some anti-anxiety meds too were on it. I posted because I saw he was an IgG celiac. He's the first one I've seen in 20 years, other than my family. We're rare. All the celiacs I've met are IgA. Finding healthcare is a nightmare. Just trying to help. B  
    • Scott Adams
      It sounds like you've been through a lot with your son's health journey, and it's understandable that you're seeking answers and solutions. Given the complexity of his symptoms and medical history, it might be beneficial to explore a few avenues: Encourage your son to keep a detailed journal of his symptoms, including when they occur, their severity, any triggers or patterns, and how they impact his daily life. This information can be valuable during medical consultations and may help identify correlations or trends. Consider seeking opinions from specialized medical centers or academic hospitals that have multidisciplinary teams specializing in gastrointestinal disorders, especially those related to Celiac disease and Eosinophilic Esophagitis (EOE). These centers often have experts who deal with complex cases and can offer a comprehensive evaluation. Since you've already explored alternative medicine with a nutrition response doctor and a gut detox diet, you may want to consider consulting a functional medicine practitioner. They take a holistic approach to health, looking at underlying causes and imbalances that may contribute to symptoms. Given his low vitamin D levels and other nutritional markers, a thorough nutritional assessment by a registered dietitian or nutritionist specializing in gastrointestinal health could provide insights into any deficiencies or dietary adjustments that might help alleviate symptoms. In addition to routine tests, consider asking about more specialized tests that may not be part of standard screenings. These could include comprehensive stool analyses, food intolerance testing, allergy panels, or advanced imaging studies to assess gut health.