48 replies to this topic

#1 Live2BWell

Live2BWell

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 01:23 PM

I am always exhausted. Always. I rarely feel "rested" - it doesn't matter if I get 3 hours of sleep or 13 hours, I feel exhausted.

I almost always want to sleep, and when I do get up I don't want to get up becuase I am so tired. Ofcourse, I do get up because I have to, but that only leads to the perpetual cycle of exhaustion. I feel like I am almost always running on empty.

Also, being that I have Hashimotos and also have ADD and other general anxiety tendencies, I have to "feel" like sleeping, in order to go to sleep (which is so not condusive to feeling well rested!) And, with my energy levels being virtually nil because I feel cruddy all of the time, if I get a burst of energy at 1am, I'll take it when I can get it (also, not condusive to feeling well rested.)

Sleeping isn't always my problem, sleeping well - is !

I know this only adds fuel to the fire.

Anyone relate?

*Jessica*
IgG + IgA + TtG -
Family History of Celiac
See 'about me' for more info
gluten-free Since: 11/02/08

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ohsotired

ohsotired

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 02:20 PM

I can relate - somewhat.
For me, though, it seems to be sleeping too much and not feeling rested. I can sleep for 14 hours, drag myself out of bed and feel like I need to sleep for 14 more. Once I am up out of bed and moving, I can't sit down anywhere comfortable for more than a few minutes at a time, or I fall asleep. But when it comes time to actually go to bed, my mind doesn't want to shut down - and anxiety often kicks in. It's not a fun cycle. :(
Dx Celiac 08/22/08
Iron Deficient Anemia / Blood Clotting Disorder / Severe Vit D Deficiency / Low Cortisol / Progesterone/Testosterone Deficient

Persisting Sx: bouts of extreme fatigue, dry itchy skin, dry gritty eyes, bouts of brain fog and terrible short term memory, hair loss, hypoglycemic tendencies, low body temps, low BP, cold hands and feet

UPDATE: Began BHRT 9/22/10 and it made a world of difference, for about 2 weeks. Hair loss stopped almost completely, energy levels way up and felt 19 again! Going back for a booster this week....

#3 Live2BWell

Live2BWell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 07:59 PM

I so hear you ! If I could I would stay in bed for that long, but I can't :huh:
My mind has a hard time quieting down too, most of the time. I have sleeping meds, and I also used aromatherapy and relaxation music if I anticipate having too difficult of a time
(and they do help some.)

*Jessica*
IgG + IgA + TtG -
Family History of Celiac
See 'about me' for more info
gluten-free Since: 11/02/08

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 08:06 PM

have you had a sleep study done? while they weren't sure about the results from mine, there was some indication of restless leg, and rls meds have helped *TREMENDOUSLY*. (not saying rls is your problem, but rather a sleep study may be able to help find issues with sleep quality that you can't find on your own.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#5 ohsotired

ohsotired

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 08:17 PM

I so hear you ! If I could I would stay in bed for that long, but I can't :huh:
My mind has a hard time quieting down too, most of the time. I have sleeping meds, and I also used aromatherapy and relaxation music if I anticipate having too difficult of a time
(and they do help some.)

I only get to stay in bed that long on the weekends.......hubby gets up and doesn't bother to get me up. I don't know whether to thank him for it, or slug him when I do get up and he says "I thought you'd sleep all day!" :ph34r:
Dx Celiac 08/22/08
Iron Deficient Anemia / Blood Clotting Disorder / Severe Vit D Deficiency / Low Cortisol / Progesterone/Testosterone Deficient

Persisting Sx: bouts of extreme fatigue, dry itchy skin, dry gritty eyes, bouts of brain fog and terrible short term memory, hair loss, hypoglycemic tendencies, low body temps, low BP, cold hands and feet

UPDATE: Began BHRT 9/22/10 and it made a world of difference, for about 2 weeks. Hair loss stopped almost completely, energy levels way up and felt 19 again! Going back for a booster this week....

#6 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 04:22 AM

I'd highly recommend a methylcobalamin (vitamin B12) supplement. Not only can it help greatly with energy and sleep patters, but also neurological functions, coordination, skin/hair/nail health, and much much more. I'd suggest at least 3mg per day, spread out. Magnesium can be very helpful in this area as well.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#7 celiacsista

celiacsista

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:41 AM

I totally relate to this. I feel like a slug most of the time. It is hard to get the energy to do anything. It is so frustrating. I think I will try that vitamin b12 tip.

I find I wake up all night long. Never get any "deep" sleep. It is taking it's toll on me.
Gluten Free since April 2007

#8 TestyTommy

TestyTommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 05:20 AM

Add me to the list of people who are always tired. I haven't slept through the night in over 10 years.
It sucks, and I sleep better than I used to, but I still can't sleep normally after 2.5 years gluten-free.

#9 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 05:28 AM

Adrenal fatigue (or worse, adrenal exhaustion or Addison's disease) often is the culprit when somebody never has any energy at all. Longstanding celiac disease can cause adrenal fatigue.

For somebody who is taking thyroid medications, they often do not work until the adrenal glands are looked after.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#10 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 05:56 AM

I did a sleep study last night, and failed it. :( She says I will be back in a few weeks to test a CPAP machine. I have been gluten free for 8 yrs, I take 3000mcg of B12, my magnesium level is fine, I have had my thyroid tested several times, and always comes back "within normal ranges"! I have sleep apnea, as do 2 of my sons! Ask your doctor about it. One of my sons has been on a CPAP machine and he feels so much better. His snoring has stopped, and believe me, he was as loud as a train...he has quit hitting his girlfriend while sleeping, and he has stopped falling asleep while driving :o, that symptom I didn't know about until after the fact, thankfully!!!
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#11 sickchick

sickchick

but you don't look sick.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:46 AM

Do you have dark circles under your eyes and are you sensitive to light by chance? I have severe Adrenal Exhaustion and I have been taking. Sounds like you've burned out your little adrenals.

Raw Adrenal Caps (I use Solaray) 2 every morning, noon and bedtime (LOVE these)

Magnesium Stearate (200 mg) 1 in morning, 1 at noon

1000 Vit C moning, noon and bedtime

It can take a year to heal mild, 2 for severe.
Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!
Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.
Potato free since January 3rd 2008.
Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)
Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...
NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

#12 Nancym

Nancym

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:18 PM

I'd venture a guess you need a higher dose of thyroid hormones. I get this way too if my TSH gets too high (like over 2-ish).

Oh yeah, the sleep apnea thing. Forgot about that one. That's another one that'll make you drowsy during the day.

#13 JM456839

JM456839

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:13 PM

I have not been on this website since 2005 when I first found out I had Celiac. I was searching today on sleep disorders trying to find out why I can sleep 8 hours or more, take thyroid medicine, eat a well balanced diet, exercise, and still be tired. I have such a hard time waking up. Almost like I go into a comma at night or something. My hands swell and I feel irritable and tired all day. If I push through I usally will "wake up" in the evening for a few hours. After reading these posts, it sounds like this may be a common problem between Celiacs. Does anyone know if there is a study going on about this? Any suggestions or ideas? I really need some help. I have 3 kids to raise and just don't have the strength to keep up.

#14 sickchick

sickchick

but you don't look sick.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:44 PM

When was the last time you had your Thyroid levels checked?

I have severe Adrenal Exhaustion. That is very common among Celiacs.

Do you have dark circles under your eyes? Do you crave salt?
Read this I will tell you the supplements you need to take if you are interested.

But like Celiac Disease you won't get better overnight.

Be well!

http://www.mcvitamin...-exhaustion.htm
Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!
Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.
Potato free since January 3rd 2008.
Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)
Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...
NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

#15 ohsotired

ohsotired

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:59 PM

sickchick,
I know you've suggested it before, but this is the first time I've checked out that link you posted. Don't know if I missed it before or what. I can check off 31 items on that list that apply to me. Think I better get it checked out.

Now a question.........would I just ask for a thyroid check? Or is there something more specific to ask for?
I just recently had thyroid levels checked, and my TSH came back at 2.238, which according to the range seems to be middle of the road. Are there other tests that should be done?
Dx Celiac 08/22/08

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: