This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Never Feel Rested

Live2BWell

sickchick Community Regular

I noticed right away with the brain fog....

about a month I really started to tell with more stamina and physical energy! :)

lovelove

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mslee Apprentice

great info! thanks for sharing!

so glad I finally have a diagnosis! and found this site.

* feeling SO much better without the wheat!*

GOOD FOR YOU mslee!

very nice to meet you... :)

mslee Apprentice
GOOD FOR YOU mslee!

very nice to meet you... :)

Thanks!

Hello nice to meet you too!

Yes, I can fully understand the "but you don't look sick" :)

glad to be here

Live2BWell Enthusiast

It was suggested to me to have a Cortisol Test run (Cortisol is an Adrenal hormone); Apparently it's not a routine test, but it can be requested - and that is often how doctors test for adrenal problems (adrenal fatigue, addison's etc.) Adrenal problems, from what I understand, run hand in hand with Celiac and, interestingly enough - Hashimotos (I am guessing they all work on similar levels, which is why they often run together?)

I am probably going to look into the adrenal capsules, what is your overall experience on them? How did you know how much to take? When did you notice a difference? What differences did you notice?

I actually had that adrenal spit test years ago and mine came back totally normal.

Now it's been 13 years so it might actually register as off, but I take those tests with a grain of salt.

First of all, I noticed a little mental clarity, the very first time I took the Adrenal Caps. It took about a month to start to notice my energy increasing

I have been taking 6 a day and what I read (and what other people who I have talked to who have the Adrenal Exhaustion) is that it takes 2 years to get better.

If you are persistant and have the intetion of getting better, you will! :):):)

Be well!

• 2 months later...
Nancym Enthusiast

The Hashi's can certainly do that to you. Talk to your doctor and get some thyroid meds, or get an increase. The "normal" range is way too wide, tell your doctor you want to be closer to the bottom end of the TSH range (closer to 1).

Other things that can do this are sleep apnea and there is narcolepsy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
Ms. Skinny Chic Explorer
I am always exhausted. Always. I rarely feel "rested" - it doesn't matter if I get 3 hours of sleep or 13 hours, I feel exhausted.

I almost always want to sleep, and when I do get up I don't want to get up becuase I am so tired. Ofcourse, I do get up because I have to, but that only leads to the perpetual cycle of exhaustion. I feel like I am almost always running on empty.

Also, being that I have Hashimotos and also have ADD and other general anxiety tendencies, I have to "feel" like sleeping, in order to go to sleep (which is so not condusive to feeling well rested!) And, with my energy levels being virtually nil because I feel cruddy all of the time, if I get a burst of energy at 1am, I'll take it when I can get it (also, not condusive to feeling well rested.)

Sleeping isn't always my problem, sleeping well - is !

I know this only adds fuel to the fire.

Anyone relate?

I relate totally to your problem.. I am popping sleeping pills, just to get a good rest.

Sleepless in florida

• 6 months later...
rose62bud Newbie

:unsure:

I CAN TOTALLY RELATE TO NOT EVER GETTING ENOUGH SLEEP, BESIDE HAVING CELIAC DISEASE, I SUFFER FROM IBS AS WELL, AND I HAVE NASH TOO, I WILL NEED A LIVER TRANSPLANT DOWN THE ROAD. I ALSO AM A DIABETIC AND A BOAT LOAD OF PROBLEMS THAT COMES WITH THAT DISEASE, AS IF THIS ISN'T ENOUGHT TO DEAL WITH ..MY MIND NEVER LETS ME REST WHEN I WANT TO. I HAVE TRIED TAKING I MG OF MELATONIN WHICH THE BODY PRODUCES ALREADY SO IT CANT HARM MY LIVER. BUT EVEN IF I TAKE A 3 MGS PILL I STILL CANT SLEEP ENLESS MY MIND STOPS RUNNING LIKE A TRAIN OUT OF CONTROL... :o I SCREAM PLEASE GOD LET ME REST. I FIGHT TO GET MY INTERNAL CLOCK ON TRACT WITH NO SUCCESS. CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME A HELPING HAND

ROSE62BUD

• 4 weeks later...
cherishlife Rookie

In a sad way...after reading all these post, I feel a little better knowing I am not alone. I am beyond exhausted and I just need relief! I did have my adrenals tested and they are messed up. My cortisol levels sky rocket at night, hence, not sleeping well. I took supplements recommended by my ND for two weeks and felt no better. In fact, I felt worse. I stopped taking them. But I know I need to get this issue with my adreanals worked out!

I know a couple people mention they took some different supplements to help, but was it for the same type of issues? If so, how did you determine which kind to take.

I have four young children and I despartely need to get better. I felt much better when I first went gluten free 1 1/2 years ago, but now I am feeling terrible again...even with no gluten.

Please...any suggesetions welcomed!

• 2 weeks later...
prisjo Newbie

I am a diagnosed Celiac since 1990. I have suddenly gotten mucho fatigue. I can't wake up in the morning. When I get awake (splashing water on my face) I can go all day but feel like I am in a mental. A pharmacist told me that my idoine level is low. Men need about 150 mcg and women need 120mcg. We celiacs who don't drink milk don't get enough d and c viatmins and the fda has lowered levels of iodine in salt. I have kelp tablets which have about 225 mcgs of iodine. Will let you know hwo this works. Also being low in folic acid increases fatigue.

P

one more mile Contributor

What works for me is Calcium citrate with vitamin d

Badger sleep balm on my temples and under my nose when I go to sleep

getting my thyroid checked every three months

Echinaccea-Goldenseal an hour after I take my thyroid meds. It supports your immune system so your body can us energy doing other things.

15 minutes a day of outdoor sunlight.

and 18-45minutes of yoga or platitudes in the morning before my shower, but only on the days that I want to feel well. If I want to feel like crap that day I skip the work out. I started this as a joke someone asked me what I my new year resolution was and I told them 18 minutes of yoga a week whether I need it or not. Even a fast drop to the floor and a few streaches makes an amazing difference in my day. And whether I will have back pain and energy that day.

Some of this may sound dumb but I have battled with sleep and sleepiness for years. I have changed my whole live around now because it is easier for me to sleep 12:30 to 8 or 9 then try to feel rested getting up at 7AM. It took me a long time to just accept that I do not work that way.

Anna and Marie Newbie
I can relate - somewhat.

For me, though, it seems to be sleeping too much and not feeling rested. I can sleep for 14 hours, drag myself out of bed and feel like I need to sleep for 14 more. Once I am up out of bed and moving, I can't sit down anywhere comfortable for more than a few minutes at a time, or I fall asleep. But when it comes time to actually go to bed, my mind doesn't want to shut down - and anxiety often kicks in. It's not a fun cycle. :(

I am so with you!!! I never knew this section even exhisted! I didn't know that so many of us had this problem...

~Anna

ang1e0251 Contributor

I have battled insomnia for many years. I have several things that each help a little and help me get most of the rest I need. Sticking to a set bedtime and wake up time 6 days a week is a big stablizer for me. One day a week I need to sleep in. I really suffer if I don't get that. I have taken melatonin for years starting with 1/2 milligram and now am up to 6 mg's. I always read until sleepy. Then if my mind is still racing, it's about the story and not my life. That seems to be OK with my mind.

Lately I upped my magnesium level to about 650 mg's. That also helped my sleep. I even slept through the night once!! wow, can't even remember the last time that happened.

If you have any other vitamin difiencies, address those and it could help your sleep.

Serversymptoms Contributor
I have battled insomnia for many years. I have several things that each help a little and help me get most of the rest I need. Sticking to a set bedtime and wake up time 6 days a week is a big stablizer for me. One day a week I need to sleep in. I really suffer if I don't get that. I have taken melatonin for years starting with 1/2 milligram and now am up to 6 mg's. I always read until sleepy. Then if my mind is still racing, it's about the story and not my life. That seems to be OK with my mind.

Lately I upped my magnesium level to about 650 mg's. That also helped my sleep. I even slept through the night once!! wow, can't even remember the last time that happened.

If you have any other vitamin difiencies, address those and it could help your sleep.

I did self diagnose for being celiac, and things seem to be improving. Though I also think I have a thyroid problem, one symptom which is fatigue/ sleepless. I experience it all the time, you may also want to get your thyroids look at.

grainfree Newbie

Hello.

This past Friday night I ate a meal of penne pasta with vegetables (from frozen). At 9 p.m. I felt as if someone had flipped a switch and I literally passed out. This morning I made an appointment with my doctor. I had had it with feeling like I would drop on the spot - it had happened too many times and I finally said enough. Too many times of hearing "it'll pass", "you're just stressed", "you are just overtired". I had wondered previously about my bread consumption and fatigue but always just brushed it off. I have probably posted in the wrong topic section but after reading some posts I see I am not the only person to have had this happen to them. Looking forward to the GP visit to hopefully get some relief.

Thank you

Becci Enthusiast

I have the same problem. If I go to bed at 10 and wake up at 10 the next day, I will still feel like I haven't slept at all.

I hate this feeling! I can never sleep enough.

• 4 weeks later...
Tabasco Apprentice
Do you have dark circles under your eyes and are you sensitive to light by chance? I have severe Adrenal Exhaustion and I have been taking. Sounds like you've burned out your little adrenals.

Raw Adrenal Caps (I use Solaray) 2 every morning, noon and bedtime (LOVE these)

Magnesium Stearate (200 mg) 1 in morning, 1 at noon

1000 Vit C moning, noon and bedtime

It can take a year to heal mild, 2 for severe.

I have never heard of adrenal exhaustion. I have dark circles and puffy eyes. My eyes always look "tired". I figured it was genetic. I am also very light sensitive. I have green eyes, though. i though light eyed people were naturally sensitive to bright light.

ohsotired Enthusiast

Tabasco - you might want to check out these links, just to see if any of the other symptoms fit you.

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

Good luck!

pchick Rookie

wow ~ everyday I'm learning something new here! This is a great forum.

Anyway, I too am TIRED all the time.... I've been told my adrenal function is low (by my acupuncturist) and my ND told me my DHEA/Cortisol levels are unbalanced. But that doesn't really explain much.

I had a very stressful/traumatic lifestyle till about 10 years ago ~ Now I've got my life somewhat together and of course, NOW my health seems to be falling apart.

I'm getting a good mutli-vitamin on Monday... and I'm hoping that taking that will help in my exhaustion, light sensitivity, dizziness etc.

Hopefully someday I'll be able to get on this forum and GIVE good advice instead of always NEEDING it. Thanks to all who are writing ~ it really helps :D

Nancym Enthusiast

You should probably get a sleep study done, although your hashi's could cause this if you're not getting enough thyroid hormone. Sleep apnea makes you feel unrested and it's very dangerous too.

ohsotired Enthusiast

Anyway, I too am TIRED all the time.... I've been told my adrenal function is low (by my acupuncturist) and my ND told me my DHEA/Cortisol levels are unbalanced. But that doesn't really explain much.

I had a very stressful/traumatic lifestyle till about 10 years ago ~ Now I've got my life somewhat together and of course, NOW my health seems to be falling apart.

I'm getting a good mutli-vitamin on Monday... and I'm hoping that taking that will help in my exhaustion, light sensitivity, dizziness etc.

Hopefully someday I'll be able to get on this forum and GIVE good advice instead of always NEEDING it. Thanks to all who are writing ~ it really helps :D

LISTEN to your acupuncturist and your ND. Have you had any testing done for adrenal fatigue?

It sounds like you have two practitioners that know what they're talking about. You might want to explore that further!

ang1e0251 Contributor

A multi V is great for maintenance but when your levels are low you will need additional supplements. Talk to your ND about what to add to that.

• 1 month later...
Korwyn Explorer

I just received back all my lab work for my hormone workups and I am suffering from moderate to severe adrenal fatigue. So I'm researching adrenal supplements right now. :) I'm a believer in non-western, traditional, and alternative medicine (acupuncture, etc), but before you go trying to treat adrenal issues I would strongly suggest you get a lab workup for your hormone levels - a full panel which will require multiple samples to get your levels through the day. If you mis-treat or treat non-existent adrenal issues you can create other lifelong problems, like causing your adrenal glands to basically go to sleep. This would be bad. :o If your ND did a full panel (testosterone, progesterone, estrogen, dhea, estradiol, cortisol and all precursors) and gave you this diagnosis then run with it. Otherwise, request a full hormone panel before you start trying to tackle it. Please.

Archived