This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Can I

mouth

mouth Enthusiast

HI ALL IM NOT SUPPOSED TO BE HERE. BUT I NEED UR HELP.. MY DAUGHTER WAS DX'D LAST YEAR AND I SIGNED HER UP HERE, BUT SHE WILL NOT COME.. ANYBODY GOT ANY GOOD IDEAS TO GET HER IN HERE??

I'D REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!!

THANKS SO MUCH

LYNN AKA MOUTH :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator
HI ALL IM NOT SUPPOSED TO BE HERE. BUT I NEED UR HELP.. MY DAUGHTER WAS DX'D LAST YEAR AND I SIGNED HER UP HERE, BUT SHE WILL NOT COME.. ANYBODY GOT ANY GOOD IDEAS TO GET HER IN HERE??

I'D REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!!

THANKS SO MUCH

LYNN AKA MOUTH :D

Lynn, apparently she has no intentions of being here. Teenagers resent it when their mothers sign them up for things without their knowledge (I have one teenager now, and four grown-up kids, who were teens not so long ago), and as a result they'll be even more stubborn about it.

I am afraid that there really isn't anything you can do to get her to come here.

missy'smom Collaborator

You are welcome to come by and ask questions or post anytime. You don't have to be the one with celiac disease. We have many family members who come on from time to time.

Lisa Mentor

Hi Lynn,

I guess the best thing you can do is leave the log in information available and just walk away. I compare teenagers (having had two myself) to my Jack Russell...they want to do it, but they want to do it on THEIR terms. :rolleyes:

Good luck and good to see you again.

mouth Enthusiast
Hi Lynn,

I guess the best thing you can do is leave the log in information available and just walk away. I compare teenagers (having had two myself) to my Jack Russell...they want to do it, but they want to do it on THEIR terms. :rolleyes:

Good luck and good to see you again.

Thanks.. I did just that.. put in the note at the site and see if any of the kids will respond with ideas.

thank.. i know i havent been here much lately.. so much going on school trip graduation, grad party away from school summer program now where she is now CIT in the am and takes classes in the afternoon.. ihave to come back more often. i miss u guys.

xxx for the help

lynn

mouth Enthusiast
You are welcome to come by and ask questions or post anytime. You don't have to be the one with celiac disease. We have many family members who come on from time to time.

Thanks.. I have been doing so.. THIS place saved my sanity when my daughter got dx'd last year..

lynn

• 3 weeks later...
Lollipop Newbie

If you want, you can have your daughter email me any time. i'll send you my email, and i'd be happy to talk to her if she wants to.

becca

i'm fourteen years old and have had celiac for over a year. i also have another disease called eosinophilic esophagitis, and i have a feeding tube (basically a tube that goes through my nose and puts formula into my stomach) for that. the feeding tube is not for celiac.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

#1 There is a teenagers section on this board--that might make her a bit less hesitant, if she knows she can converse with others who can really connect with her.

#2) If I were in your position, I would make absolutely every effort to make EVERYTHING in your household gluten free and learn to bake really good-tasting gluten-free breads, cakes, cookies, pizzas, etc.

I realize that's one heckuva tall order. But I know from personal experience that the premade gluten-free stuff tastes like crap. And the homemade stuff tastes every bit as good as gluteny stuff if you get the right recipes (fortunately, all easily available on the internet).

So when I wanted my kids to go gluten-free, I made gluten-free pasta, pizza, cake, cookies--whatever their favorite foods were. If their friends were having a pizza party, I made pizza for them to bring with them. And I made sure to invite the friends to OUR house for pizza, and served gluten-free pizza, which they gobbled up and demanded more.

And my boys both realized that when they cheated, they got bad stomachaches and eczema--and they didn't like stomachaches and eczema.

I know teen-age girls are different, and want to be independent, and like to turn their noses up at their moms. But perhaps if you have her invite her friends over for (gluten-free) pizza (don't tell them that it's gluten-free), after they gobble it up, you can tell them that it's a new recipe you are trying, and talk about celiac disease and the HORRIBLE, life-threatening things it can lead to like cancer. This might be especially effective if anyone in your family has had cancer, or any of the severe autoimmune problems associated with celiac, like diabetes, thyroid disease, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, MS, etc. Then maybe they will help pressure your daughter to do the right thing when she's not home.

And the best motivator for a teenage girl, especially if she is normal weight or a little heavy, is to talk about how overweight celiacs lose weight like magic when they go off of gluten. It's not the carbs--it's the GLUTEN!

(And if she's underweight and unhappy about it, she can gain weight by going off gluten--a gluten-free diet is a weight-normalizing diet!

mouth Enthusiast
#1 There is a teenagers section on this board--that might make her a bit less hesitant, if she knows she can converse with others who can really connect with her.

#2) If I were in your position, I would make absolutely every effort to make EVERYTHING in your household gluten free and learn to bake really good-tasting gluten-free breads, cakes, cookies, pizzas, etc.

I realize that's one heckuva tall order. But I know from personal experience that the premade gluten-free stuff tastes like crap. And the homemade stuff tastes every bit as good as gluteny stuff if you get the right recipes (fortunately, all easily available on the internet).

So when I wanted my kids to go gluten-free, I made gluten-free pasta, pizza, cake, cookies--whatever their favorite foods were. If their friends were having a pizza party, I made pizza for them to bring with them. And I made sure to invite the friends to OUR house for pizza, and served gluten-free pizza, which they gobbled up and demanded more.

And my boys both realized that when they cheated, they got bad stomachaches and eczema--and they didn't like stomachaches and eczema.

I know teen-age girls are different, and want to be independent, and like to turn their noses up at their moms. But perhaps if you have her invite her friends over for (gluten-free) pizza (don't tell them that it's gluten-free), after they gobble it up, you can tell them that it's a new recipe you are trying, and talk about celiac disease and the HORRIBLE, life-threatening things it can lead to like cancer. This might be especially effective if anyone in your family has had cancer, or any of the severe autoimmune problems associated with celiac, like diabetes, thyroid disease, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, MS, etc. Then maybe they will help pressure your daughter to do the right thing when she's not home.

And the best motivator for a teenage girl, especially if she is normal weight or a little heavy, is to talk about how overweight celiacs lose weight like magic when they go off of gluten. It's not the carbs--it's the GLUTEN!

(And if she's underweight and unhappy about it, she can gain weight by going off gluten--a gluten-free diet is a weight-normalizing diet!

DEAR FIDDLE FADDLE

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL UR GREAT INSITE.. AS TO THE CELIACS, SHE HAS PRETTY MUCH GOTTEN OVER THE SHYNESS OF IT.. ALL HER FRIENDS KNOW, AND ALL THE PARENTS MAKE SURE THEY HAVE SAFE FOODS FOR HER TO EAT WHEN THEY KNOW SHE IS COMMING-- HOW GREAT IS THAT-- I WAS VERY SURPRISED.. IF SHE EATS AT THEIR HOUSES EITHER I SEND FOOD OR IF THEY ARE GRILLING-- NONE GLUTEN THEIR GRILLS I WILL JUST SEND HER W/gluten-free ROLLS. SO FAR IN THAT CASE I HAVE BEEN LUCKY.. AS TO CHEATING SHE IS GETTING MUCH BETTER AT TRYING NOT TO I DONT THINK SHE HAS IN A LONG TIME NOW. BUT SHE IS ALSO A NON SYMPOTMATIC. THAT WAS 1 OF THE REASONS WHY IT WAS SO HARD TO GET A DX.. BUT. WE CHANGED SOME FOODS AGAIN IN HER DIET-- STUFF THATS LISTS AS OK AND GOT LETTERS THAT WAS OK, BUT WHEN WE CHANGED 2 THINGS IN 4 MONTHS HER TTG DROPPED 40 MORE POINTS. ONLY 20 TO GO TO A NORMAL LEVEL... THANK GODS/./ AND ACTUALLY WHEN SHE WENT ON A SUDDEN MAJOR GROWTH SPURT IS WHEN WE FINALLY GOT HER DX.. U ROCK.. MAKE EVER THING FRESH.. I WISH I COULD. MAYB WHEN I MOVE I WILL I GOT SOME MIXES THAT I AM GOING TO TRY.. THAT SOUND REALLY GOOD AND EASY.. HOPEFULLY I WONT MESS IT UP LIKE HER FRIENDS BDAY CAKE LAST YEAR. IT WAS HORRIBLE BUT THE KIDS ALL ATE IT ANY WAY UNDERSTANDING THAT IT WAS MY FIRST ATTEMPT AT COOKING SOMETHING gluten-free.. THEN IT GOT CHUCKED.. LOL. ANY WAY ENUF BABBLING FROM ME.. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR GREAT INFO AND HAVE A WONDERFUL SUMMER.. BTW I DID SIGN HER UP SO SHE COULD USE THE TEEN CHAT.. SHE WONT DO IT.. THERE IS NOTHING I CAN DO TO PUSH IT.. BUT I HAD PUT UP A POST THERE AND JUST GOT A RESPONSE FROM A GIRL THE SAME AGE WHO TOLD ME TO HAVE MY DD EMAIL HER.. THAT WOULD BE A GREAT START FOR HERE THERE.. ANY WAY AGAIN THANKS AND GOD BLESS .

LYN

mouth Enthusiast
If you want, you can have your daughter email me any time. i'll send you my email, and i'd be happy to talk to her if she wants to.

becca

i'm fourteen years old and have had celiac for over a year. i also have another disease called eosinophilic esophagitis, and i have a feeding tube (basically a tube that goes through my nose and puts formula into my stomach) for that. the feeding tube is not for celiac.

THANKS SO MUCH I WILL AND I ALSO GOT YOUR MAIL. FEEL GOOD GIRL..

LYNN

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

The biggest foods for teens seem to be pizza, cookies, breads, and burger buns.

Pizza is easy--use corn tortillas for the crust. One tortilla can be kinda thin, so either heat it in a frying pan sprayed with PAM over high heat for two minutes each side (so it blisters a little and is firmer, to take the weight of sauce and cheese), or , for a thicker crust, make a kind of sandwich with 2 tortillas and provolone cheese, heat on both sides (again, in frying pan sprayed with PAM), and THEN top with sauce, cheese, and whatever toppings, and cover for a minute or two (still in pan over heat) until the cheese is melted. Or you could shove it under the broiler, but you have to be VERY careful that it doesn't burn--it only takes a minute or two for the cheese to get nice and bubbly, but it scorches about 30 seconds later).

Cookies and brownies are VERY easy The easiest cookies--1 cup peanut butter, 1 cup brown sugar, 2 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla. That's it. No flour at all. bake at 350 for 8 minutes, just like any other cookie. And you can add chocolate chips, nuts, whatever.

Brownies are easy, too. Try any of the recipes on this sie, or in any gluten-free cookbook. If you follow the directions carefully, they are almost impossible to mess up.

For burger buns, use the following recipe in 4-inch round cake pans instead of the 8" pan (the recipe should make 5 or 6):

1/4 cup flaxmeal

1/2 cup brown rice flour (preferably superfine grind) (I use Bob

mouth Enthusiast
The biggest foods for teens seem to be pizza, cookies, breads, and burger buns.

Pizza is easy--use corn tortillas for the crust. One tortilla can be kinda thin, so either heat it in a frying pan sprayed with PAM over high heat for two minutes each side (so it blisters a little and is firmer, to take the weight of sauce and cheese), or , for a thicker crust, make a kind of sandwich with 2 tortillas and provolone cheese, heat on both sides (again, in frying pan sprayed with PAM), and THEN top with sauce, cheese, and whatever toppings, and cover for a minute or two (still in pan over heat) until the cheese is melted. Or you could shove it under the broiler, but you have to be VERY careful that it doesn't burn--it only takes a minute or two for the cheese to get nice and bubbly, but it scorches about 30 seconds later).

Cookies and brownies are VERY easy The easiest cookies--1 cup peanut butter, 1 cup brown sugar, 2 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla. That's it. No flour at all. bake at 350 for 8 minutes, just like any other cookie. And you can add chocolate chips, nuts, whatever.

Brownies are easy, too. Try any of the recipes on this sie, or in any gluten-free cookbook. If you follow the directions carefully, they are almost impossible to mess up.

For burger buns, use the following recipe in 4-inch round cake pans instead of the 8" pan (the recipe should make 5 or 6):

1/4 cup flaxmeal

1/2 cup brown rice flour (preferably superfine grind) (I use Bob

RiceGuy Collaborator
THANKS SO MUCH AGAIN FIDDLE FADDLE FOR YOUR WONDERFUL HELPa!! I ACUTALLY GOT A BREAD PAN TODAY.. I GOT A MIX THAT COOKS IN THE OVEN.. THAT IS GOING TO BE MY FIRST RE ATTEMPT AT COOKING-- I AM NOT THE GREATEST COOK TO START WITH..LOL :D

HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND..

LYNN

PS THE CAPS R SO I CAN READ IT.. I NEED NEW GLASSES LMAO..

I find cookies are much easier to make successfully than bread. They don't have to rise much if at all, and many different textures can be acceptable.

About the readability of text, try setting a custom text size in your browser. In Firefox, you select 'Text Size' from the 'View' menu. This will set the size for all sites, not just the board.

mouth Enthusiast
I find cookies are much easier to make successfully than bread. They don't have to rise much if at all, and many different textures can be acceptable.

About the readability of text, try setting a custom text size in your browser. In Firefox, you select 'Text Size' from the 'View' menu. This will set the size for all sites, not just the board.

I know others told me about that.. But for some reason I dont have that option and I am using a new puter.and just updated the ff to the newest version..

Archived