18 replies to this topic

#1 LuvMoosic4life

LuvMoosic4life

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:37 PM

So I never eat hot dogs, but only at get- togethers (and this was before going gluten-free).

I hate the name brand hot dogs like oscar myer. I live in western NY where sahlen's hot dogs are made. these are the ingredients, what do you think?

Sahlen's Hot Dogs Ingredients: pork, water,beef,salt,corn syrup, flavorings,dextrose,hydrolized soy and corn protien, oleoresin of paprika, monosodium glutamate, sodium erythorbate, sodium nitrite, collagen casing.

BLAH, typing alll that makes me never want to even eat one. but "FLAVORINGS" puts a flag up for me.... and of course msg-yuck! :ph34r:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:59 PM

Yes, "flavorings" could be concealing gluten. A number of companies have policies that say they will not hide gluten, but will clearly identify it in the ingredients list. Oscar Mayer is owned by Kraft, and has such a policy. But I don't know anything about the brand you refer to.

I found their web site, but it did not help with this question.

I would consider them unsafe, unless I talked to the manufacturer and got a clear answer.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 curlyfries

curlyfries

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:06 PM

I'm not a fan of Oscar Mayer either, but I do like Ball Parks and John Morrell, both of which are gluten free.
~~Lisa~~

"The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."--Moliere

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."--Douglas Adams

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!--Amanda

gluten-free since 1/08
Posted Image

#4 dbmamaz

dbmamaz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 07:27 PM

Remember to check the company websites - many now list which products are gluten free.
Cara - 42, mom to dd 15, ds 12, ds 4
Off gluten and dairy (and tapioca ;-( ) since 11/07
A.L.C.A.T. test showed over 50 sensitive foods
Celiac panel came back negative.
Regular allergy testing reacted to every inhalant and all but 6 foods.
Slowly adding in foods, started w 19 and now have 25

#5 toddzgrrl02

toddzgrrl02

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:01 AM

I love Jennie-O turkey dogs. That is what I always buy now and they have gluten-free turkey dogs and hamburgers (love their hamburgers too!)

http://www.jennieo.com/

Do you have a listing of JENNIE-O TURKEY STOREŽ gluten free products? A:Posted ImageWe are providing the following list of products as a general guideline for those presently produced and distributed in the United States with formulas that do not contain gluten in the form of wheat, rye, oats, and barley. Although our products are labeled in compliance with government regulations, it is always necessary to read the labels on the products to determine if the food product meets your required needs. Parents and individuals with food allergies and/or food intolerances are responsible for reading the label of all products that they intend to use regardless of how the product is represented on this site. If you have any questions, please call our Consumer Response representatives at 1-800-621-3505.

Jennie-O Turkey StoreŽ Refrigerated/Frozen Items Not Containing Gluten:

• Jennie-OŽ prime young turkey: fresh or frozen (the gravy packet does contain gluten)
  • Jennie-O Turkey StoreŽ oven ready turkey: Homestyle, Garlic & Herb
  • Jennie-O Turkey StoreŽ oven ready turkey breast (the gravy packet does contain gluten)
  • Jennie-OŽ frozen turkey breast (the gravy packet does contain gluten)
  • Jennie-O Turkey StoreŽ fresh ground turkey: lean, extra lean, italian
  • Jennie-O Turkey StoreŽ fresh lean turkey patties
  • Jennie-O Turkey StoreŽ fresh tray: breast slices, breast strips, tenderloins
  • Jennie-O Turkey StoreŽ fresh breakfast sausage: mild links, mild patties, maple links
  • Jennie-O Turkey StoreŽ fresh dinner sausage: sweet italian, hot italian, cheddar turkey bratwurst, lean turkey bratwurst
  • Jennie-O Turkey StoreŽ flavored tenderloins: lemon-garlic, seasoned pepper, tequila lime
  • Jennie-OŽ refrigerated turkey ham
  • Jennie-OŽ refrigerated honey cured turkey ham
  • Jennie-OŽ refrigerated dark turkey pastrami
  • Jennie-OŽ Festive Tender Cured TM turkey
  • Jennie-OŽ refrigerated quarter turkey breasts: oven roasted, honey cured, hickory smoked, cracked pepper, cajun-style, sun-dried tomato
  • Jennie-OŽ extra lean turkey bacon
  • Jennie-OŽ turkey franks
  • Jennie-OŽ extra lean smoked turkey sausage
  • Jennie-OŽ extra lean smoked kielbasa turkey sausage
  • Jennie-OŽ smoked turkey wings and drumsticks
  • Jennie-O Turkey StoreŽ So EasyŽ slow roasted turkey breast
  • Jennie-O Turkey StoreŽ stuffed breasts: broccoli & cheese, pepper cheese & rice, swiss cheese & ham
  • Jennie-O Turkey StoreŽ So EasyŽ glazed breast filets: bbq, honey glazed
  • Jennie-OŽ pan roasts with gravy: white, white/dark combo
  • Jennie-OŽ frozen ground turkey
  • Jennie-OŽ frozen ground seasoned turkey
  • Jennie-OŽ frozen turkey burgers
  • Jennie-OŽ Breakfast Lover'sŽ turkey sausage
Jennie-O Turkey StoreŽ deli items not containing gluten (partial list)Always ask the Deli Manager for a list of ingredients prior to purchase. We do not mask any gluten ingredients under "flavoring".
  • Jennie-O Turkey StoreŽ Deli chicken breast: buffalo style, oven roasted, mesquite smoked
  • Jennie-O Turkey StoreŽ smoked turkey breast: mesquite, hickory, honey cured
  • Jennie-O Turkey StoreŽ oven roasted turkey breast
  • Jennie-O Turkey StoreŽ Hickory smoked turkey breast: cracked pepper, sun dried tomato, garlic pesto, honey cured
  • Jennie-OŽ Natural ChoiceŽ turkey breast: oven roasted, peppered, tender browned
  • Jennie-OŽ Grand ChampionŽ turkey breast: oven roasted, tender browned, mesquite smoked, homestyle pan roasted, hickory smoked, honey cured
  • jennie-oŽ turkey breast: oven roasted, peppered, smoked, tender browned, italian style, honey maple, honey mesquite, maple spiced, apple cinnamon, tomato basil, mesquite smoked, garlic peppered, hot red peppered, smoked peppered
  • NorwesternŽ Deli turkey: oven roasted, turkey pastrami, hickory smoked

I highly recommend them!

Michelle :)

#6 texas

texas

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:38 AM

Actually, I was in Western New York recently and was told Sahlens hot dogs were gluten free. Hoffmans out of Syracuse are not

#7 VioletBlue

VioletBlue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:44 PM

I love Oscar Meyer. They have a "naturals" line that is nitrite free as well as gluten free. It's the only hot dog anyone sells up here that I can eat because I'm terribly allergic to nitrites. Their whole naturals line is preservative free. And the hot dogs taste wonderful as long as you heat them up. They have a nice smokey flavor to them.

I'm not a fan of Oscar Mayer either, but I do like Ball Parks and John Morrell, both of which are gluten free.

"My mother always told me, it's okay to play with a man's mind
as long as you put it back where you got it when you're done with it."

#8 LuvMoosic4life

LuvMoosic4life

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:25 PM

I love Jennie-O turkey dogs. That is what I always buy now and they have gluten-free turkey dogs and hamburgers (love their hamburgers too!)

http://www.jennieo.com/

Do you have a listing of JENNIE-O TURKEY STOREŽ gluten free products? A:Posted ImageWe are providing the following list of products as a general guideline for those presently produced and distributed in the United States with formulas that do not contain gluten in the form of wheat, rye, oats, and barley. Although our products are labeled in compliance with government regulations, it is always necessary to read the labels on the products to determine if the food product meets your required needs. Parents and individuals with food allergies and/or food intolerances are responsible for reading the label of all products that they intend to use regardless of how the product is represented on this site. If you have any questions, please call our Consumer Response representatives at 1-800-621-3505.

Jennie-O Turkey StoreŽ Refrigerated/Frozen Items Not Containing Gluten:

• Jennie-OŽ prime young turkey: fresh or frozen (the gravy packet does contain gluten)
  • Jennie-O Turkey StoreŽ oven ready turkey: Homestyle, Garlic & Herb
  • Jennie-O Turkey StoreŽ oven ready turkey breast (the gravy packet does contain gluten)
  • Jennie-OŽ frozen turkey breast (the gravy packet does contain gluten)
  • Jennie-O Turkey StoreŽ fresh ground turkey: lean, extra lean, italian
  • Jennie-O Turkey StoreŽ fresh lean turkey patties
  • Jennie-O Turkey StoreŽ fresh tray: breast slices, breast strips, tenderloins
  • Jennie-O Turkey StoreŽ fresh breakfast sausage: mild links, mild patties, maple links
  • Jennie-O Turkey StoreŽ fresh dinner sausage: sweet italian, hot italian, cheddar turkey bratwurst, lean turkey bratwurst
  • Jennie-O Turkey StoreŽ flavored tenderloins: lemon-garlic, seasoned pepper, tequila lime
  • Jennie-OŽ refrigerated turkey ham
  • Jennie-OŽ refrigerated honey cured turkey ham
  • Jennie-OŽ refrigerated dark turkey pastrami
  • Jennie-OŽ Festive Tender Cured TM turkey
  • Jennie-OŽ refrigerated quarter turkey breasts: oven roasted, honey cured, hickory smoked, cracked pepper, cajun-style, sun-dried tomato
  • Jennie-OŽ extra lean turkey bacon
  • Jennie-OŽ turkey franks
  • Jennie-OŽ extra lean smoked turkey sausage
  • Jennie-OŽ extra lean smoked kielbasa turkey sausage
  • Jennie-OŽ smoked turkey wings and drumsticks
  • Jennie-O Turkey StoreŽ So EasyŽ slow roasted turkey breast
  • Jennie-O Turkey StoreŽ stuffed breasts: broccoli & cheese, pepper cheese & rice, swiss cheese & ham
  • Jennie-O Turkey StoreŽ So EasyŽ glazed breast filets: bbq, honey glazed
  • Jennie-OŽ pan roasts with gravy: white, white/dark combo
  • Jennie-OŽ frozen ground turkey
  • Jennie-OŽ frozen ground seasoned turkey
  • Jennie-OŽ frozen turkey burgers
  • Jennie-OŽ Breakfast Lover'sŽ turkey sausage
Jennie-O Turkey StoreŽ deli items not containing gluten (partial list)Always ask the Deli Manager for a list of ingredients prior to purchase. We do not mask any gluten ingredients under "flavoring".
  • Jennie-O Turkey StoreŽ Deli chicken breast: buffalo style, oven roasted, mesquite smoked
  • Jennie-O Turkey StoreŽ smoked turkey breast: mesquite, hickory, honey cured
  • Jennie-O Turkey StoreŽ oven roasted turkey breast
  • Jennie-O Turkey StoreŽ Hickory smoked turkey breast: cracked pepper, sun dried tomato, garlic pesto, honey cured
  • Jennie-OŽ Natural ChoiceŽ turkey breast: oven roasted, peppered, tender browned
  • Jennie-OŽ Grand ChampionŽ turkey breast: oven roasted, tender browned, mesquite smoked, homestyle pan roasted, hickory smoked, honey cured
  • jennie-oŽ turkey breast: oven roasted, peppered, smoked, tender browned, italian style, honey maple, honey mesquite, maple spiced, apple cinnamon, tomato basil, mesquite smoked, garlic peppered, hot red peppered, smoked peppered
  • NorwesternŽ Deli turkey: oven roasted, turkey pastrami, hickory smoked

I highly recommend them!

awesome! thanks!

#9 LuvMoosic4life

LuvMoosic4life

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:27 PM

Actually, I was in Western New York recently and was told Sahlens hot dogs were gluten free. Hoffmans out of Syracuse are not

cool. thanks I read on a couple local forums that they were too after someone contacted the company...

#10 ENF

ENF

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:58 PM

I enjoy BOAR'S HEAD Lite Skinless Beef Frankfurters. The package says, "DAIRY FREE GLUTEN FREE" on it.
Celiac diagnosis from positive blood work & endoscope (2005)

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 Subtype 2,8 (double Celiac genes)

#11 Beth41777

Beth41777

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:51 PM

Any chance you can find Boar's Head brand nearby? They make high quality hot dogs, sausages, etc... and they label all of their gluten free products as such. Beth

#12 angelbender

angelbender

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:58 PM

Hebrew National Hot Dogs ARE gluten free. They are all beef and as they are kosher, they don't have sugar and the other things (you know, rat's tails etc.....lol) that have been reported in other hot dogs. I called the manufacturer and their hot dogs are gluten-free. I'm sure they do have nitrates tho but they taste SO good! Angel

#13 MNBeth

MNBeth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:52 AM

Coleman makes a gluten-free, nitrite-free hot dog, too. I get them at Costco.

#14 trcn

trcn

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:25 AM

Applegate Farms has gluten-free, cg, sf dogs and lunch meats, too. I buy that at Publix and Whole Foods.
Antigliadin IgA 78 (Normal Range <10 Units)
Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 46 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Fat Score <300 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)
Anti-casein! (cow's milk) IgA antibody 54 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0602
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0602

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (Subtype 6,6)

Anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 8 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 10 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Anti-Soy IgA 17 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

#15 slmprofesseur

slmprofesseur

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:27 PM

Hebrew National Hot Dogs ARE gluten free. They are all beef and as they are kosher, they don't have sugar and the other things (you know, rat's tails etc.....lol) that have been reported in other hot dogs. I called the manufacturer and their hot dogs are gluten-free. I'm sure they do have nitrates tho but they taste SO good! Angel

They are great! We buy those to take with us to friends houses and such. When we are hosting we cook Oscar Mayer for the guests and save the Hebrew National for us~! My gluten eating husband says those hotdogs are gluten free and people always go the other way! lol
Knitting is a gluten free hobby!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: