Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ingredients In Hot Dogs

19 posts in this topic

So I never eat hot dogs, but only at get- togethers (and this was before going gluten-free).

I hate the name brand hot dogs like oscar myer. I live in western NY where sahlen's hot dogs are made. these are the ingredients, what do you think?

Sahlen's Hot Dogs Ingredients: pork, water,beef,salt,corn syrup, flavorings,dextrose,hydrolized soy and corn protien, oleoresin of paprika, monosodium glutamate, sodium erythorbate, sodium nitrite, collagen casing.

BLAH, typing alll that makes me never want to even eat one. but "FLAVORINGS" puts a flag up for me.... and of course msg-yuck! :ph34r:

Ads by Google:

Yes, "flavorings" could be concealing gluten. A number of companies have policies that say they will not hide gluten, but will clearly identify it in the ingredients list. Oscar Mayer is owned by Kraft, and has such a policy. But I don't know anything about the brand you refer to.

I found their web site, but it did not help with this question.

I would consider them unsafe, unless I talked to the manufacturer and got a clear answer.

I'm not a fan of Oscar Mayer either, but I do like Ball Parks and John Morrell, both of which are gluten free.

Remember to check the company websites - many now list which products are gluten free.

I love Jennie-O turkey dogs. That is what I always buy now and they have gluten-free turkey dogs and hamburgers (love their hamburgers too!)

http://www.jennieo.com/

Do you have a listing of JENNIE-O TURKEY STORE

Actually, I was in Western New York recently and was told Sahlens hot dogs were gluten free. Hoffmans out of Syracuse are not

I love Oscar Meyer. They have a "naturals" line that is nitrite free as well as gluten free. It's the only hot dog anyone sells up here that I can eat because I'm terribly allergic to nitrites. Their whole naturals line is preservative free. And the hot dogs taste wonderful as long as you heat them up. They have a nice smokey flavor to them.

I'm not a fan of Oscar Mayer either, but I do like Ball Parks and John Morrell, both of which are gluten free.

I love Jennie-O turkey dogs. That is what I always buy now and they have gluten-free turkey dogs and hamburgers (love their hamburgers too!)

http://www.jennieo.com/

Do you have a listing of JENNIE-O TURKEY STORE

Actually, I was in Western New York recently and was told Sahlens hot dogs were gluten free. Hoffmans out of Syracuse are not

cool. thanks I read on a couple local forums that they were too after someone contacted the company...

I enjoy BOAR'S HEAD Lite Skinless Beef Frankfurters. The package says, "DAIRY FREE GLUTEN FREE" on it.

Any chance you can find Boar's Head brand nearby? They make high quality hot dogs, sausages, etc... and they label all of their gluten free products as such. Beth

Hebrew National Hot Dogs ARE gluten free. They are all beef and as they are kosher, they don't have sugar and the other things (you know, rat's tails etc.....lol) that have been reported in other hot dogs. I called the manufacturer and their hot dogs are gluten-free. I'm sure they do have nitrates tho but they taste SO good! Angel

Coleman makes a gluten-free, nitrite-free hot dog, too. I get them at Costco.

Applegate Farms has gluten-free, cg, sf dogs and lunch meats, too. I buy that at Publix and Whole Foods.

Hebrew National Hot Dogs ARE gluten free. They are all beef and as they are kosher, they don't have sugar and the other things (you know, rat's tails etc.....lol) that have been reported in other hot dogs. I called the manufacturer and their hot dogs are gluten-free. I'm sure they do have nitrates tho but they taste SO good! Angel

They are great! We buy those to take with us to friends houses and such. When we are hosting we cook Oscar Mayer for the guests and save the Hebrew National for us~! My gluten eating husband says those hotdogs are gluten free and people always go the other way! lol

Thanks ! I was looking at those one day, I think I will try them, knowing that they are safe! Beth

So I never eat hot dogs, but only at get- togethers (and this was before going gluten-free).

I hate the name brand hot dogs like oscar myer. I live in western NY where sahlen's hot dogs are made. these are the ingredients, what do you think?

Sahlen's Hot Dogs Ingredients: pork, water,beef,salt,corn syrup, flavorings,dextrose,hydrolized soy and corn protien, oleoresin of paprika, monosodium glutamate, sodium erythorbate, sodium nitrite, collagen casing.

BLAH, typing alll that makes me never want to even eat one. but "FLAVORINGS" puts a flag up for me.... and of course msg-yuck! :ph34r:

I live in the WNY also. I emailed Sahlens and Wardynskis as well (another Western New York company) and got a reply from both. All Sahlen's products are gluten free. Wardynskis has one sausage that isn't, but it's one I'd never heard of before and haven't seen in stores. (I can't remember the name now, but if you're curious, the Wardynski rep got back to me within hours of my sending the request. Hope this helps.

I live in the WNY also. I emailed Sahlens and Wardynskis as well (another Western New York company) and got a reply from both. All Sahlen's products are gluten free. Wardynskis has one sausage that isn't, but it's one I'd never heard of before and haven't seen in stores. (I can't remember the name now, but if you're curious, the Wardynski rep got back to me within hours of my sending the request. Hope this helps.

This is good info but the post is more than 2 years old.

We buy applegate free-range organic all-beef hotdogs from Wholefoods. They are a bit pricey but so worth it. They have nothing added to them except a couple of spices.