This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

City Of Pittsburgh

kimetime

kimetime Newbie

Would anyone in the Pittsburgh area like to get together? I'm a female in my 20's. I work in healthcare and go to the University of Pittsburgh. I have some great friends who are Celiac supportive, but I think it would be nice to have dinner with a fellow gluten-free friend. Or get coffee and sneak in with something yummy from Gluuteny.

I had an extra part-time job in a pharmacy earlier this year, and 4 ( ! ) of my co-workers were gluten-free. . . so I know you're out there!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

Hi

I want to invite you to our gluten free group that meets in Butler Pa monthly. We have all age groups that attend. Many come from hours away to attend & many are from the Pgh area. Everyone has a great time & learn the latest info available, the cream of the crop in gluten-free & gluten-free items for sale at each meeting. Every other month we try to have a guest speaker. For Sept we will have Roben Ryberg, cookbook author.

If you would like more info please send me a pm for details.

blessings

mamaw

Laura12 Newbie
Hi

I want to invite you to our gluten free group that meets in Butler Pa monthly. We have all age groups that attend. Many come from hours away to attend & many are from the Pgh area. Everyone has a great time & learn the latest info available, the cream of the crop in gluten-free & gluten-free items for sale at each meeting. Every other month we try to have a guest speaker. For Sept we will have Roben Ryberg, cookbook author.

If you would like more info please send me a pm for details.

blessings

mamaw

I recently saw your post and would like to know when and where you meet. I am 27, I was diagnosed 3 years ago and I am from the south hills in Pgh.

• 3 weeks later...
wrachelle Newbie

im 17 and i was diagnosed with celiac at the end of june. ive been looking for a support group. is yours for teens? or just adults?

• 2 months later...
yeeeeeeha Newbie

I work in downtown. Are you ever there to possibly have lunch?

mamaw Community Regular

Hello

The group in Butler Pa is meeting Nov. 6, 08 at 7:00 pm sharp. North Street Christian Church,220 w. North st, Butler, Pa 16002.

The meeting is open to anyone who follows the gluten-free lifestyle or who is seeking info on a gluten-free lifestyle. All ages attend. Not everyone has celiacs, some have autism in the family , some gluten intolerant, some for other reasons....

We are available to help newbies learn to navigate through the gluten-free world.

If you would like to attend & want directions & such please send me a pm with your question.........

All is welcomed.

mamaw

rmmadden Contributor

I don't live in Pittsburgh but, I travel to the area every 2-weeks to check on the progress of the Benedum Hall project on the Univ. of Pitt campus. I am wondering what celiac friendly restaurants (if any) might be in the area? A little local insight would be most welcome. As it stands now I have been traveling with a home-packed lunch and I eat while on-the-road. If a place exists close by Benedum I would welcome the chance to sit down and have lunch with you to share some celiac war-stories.

Cleveland Bob B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

Hi Bob

I was hoping someone could give you some input on where to eat. I'm 35 miles north of Pittsburgh & I'm not in that area very often so I can't help. I know of places in Cranberry Twp .

There is a Whole Foods & a Trader Joe's not to far away. Wf is on Centre & TJ'S is on Penn.

Sorry !

mamaw

Oh, have you eaten at Tommy's in Strongsville? I heard it was good. I go over to Cleveland about twice a year. Anything else good besides PF Chang's ? thanks

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I work downtown, at Heinz Hall (1 block from the Benedum)! There is a Qdoba around the corner where the manager is VERY celiac-savvy--his wife has celiac! Practically everything there is safe, as long as you avoid the tortillas and a couple of other things, and he knows to change gloves, use a clean work surface, etc.

Their "Naked Burritos" are AMAZING.

Soergel's in Wexford (on Brandt School Road off 910) will be opening up a completely gluten-free store on their farm. They've expanded their gluten-free section of the store, and they carry lots of good things!

• 2 weeks later...
ashylu929 Newbie
Would anyone in the Pittsburgh area like to get together? I'm a female in my 20's. I work in healthcare and go to the University of Pittsburgh. I have some great friends who are Celiac supportive, but I think it would be nice to have dinner with a fellow gluten-free friend. Or get coffee and sneak in with something yummy from Gluuteny.

I had an extra part-time job in a pharmacy earlier this year, and 4 ( ! ) of my co-workers were gluten-free. . . so I know you're out there!

Hi!! I am a PITT graduate & IUP grad student...live in the South Hills area. Get in touch if you'd like :)

ashylu929 Newbie
I recently saw your post and would like to know when and where you meet. I am 27, I was diagnosed 3 years ago and I am from the south hills in Pgh.

Hi Laura I am newly diagnosed, 25, and from the South Hills also B)

kimetime Newbie
I work downtown, at Heinz Hall (1 block from the Benedum)! There is a Qdoba around the corner where the manager is VERY celiac-savvy--his wife has celiac! Practically everything there is safe, as long as you avoid the tortillas and a couple of other things, and he knows to change gloves, use a clean work surface, etc.

Their "Naked Burritos" are AMAZING.

Qdoba is a lifesaver. I think I end up there at least once a week when I'm out of the house for 13 hours and am too disorganized to bring any food with me. If only I could remember to keep gluten-free soy sauce with me, I could mix it up with some sushi!

You could keep a bottle of gluten-free soy sauce at work, if you work downtown--soy sauce doesn't need refrigeration. :)

There is also a company (Kari-out) who makes little individual packets of gluten-free soy sauce, marketed as "Panda brand." Their website is www.kariout.com, and you can also order them from www.allergygrocer.com

Andy's Sushi, located just inside Wholey's fish market in the Strip, is the BEST sushi in the city. It's about a 15-minute walk from Qdoba.

Archived