This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Alternative Treatments?

Plyncie

Plyncie Newbie

I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience, positive, negative or nuetral with alternative medicine and their Celiac disease.

I recently saw an osteopath (actually, i just tagged along to my mom's appointment) and I explained to him my symptoms. I told him how whenever I eat out, even if i order off the gluten free menu, I have a pain on the left side of my intestines, and my right knee, and my shoulders start to ache. I think its from cross contamination. He showed me a reflexology treatment i can do on myself whenever i think I've been glutened, that can help my insides stop hurting. I did it, and its had a 100% success rate so far.

He said that there is a treatment called NAET (combining acupuncture and reflexology) that has been known to completely reverse food sensitivities. I did some research and found a doctor in my area (who's been practicing the longest in Oregon!) and he's had success with clients with Celiac disease.

Its quite expensive however. 160 for the consult/first treatment, and 50 for each treatment after, and treatments are 2-4 times a month for up to a year. Insurance won't cover it, so before I cough up the money for this, I thought it would be interesting to see what other people have experienced with this.

OH! and one more thing. Since i went gluten free, I have had gluten nightmares 4-5 nights a week. In the dream i realize I'm eating a donut by accident, or i look over and realize someone put flour in my soup. The dream ends abruptly because I get so scared that I can't finish the dream. Since I went to the osteopath, I told him about these dreams, and he said there was no reason to live in this kind of fear. He said that people who get hit by cars are afraid to cross the street, which is understandable, but in time they should be able to cross the street after looking both ways a few times. He said I need to change my attitude and eat with care, but not fear. He said the fear itself could be making the sensitivity worse itself! He showed me that way to help myself if i get glutened, and assured me that I would not truly die or explode if i accidentally ate gluten. Now here's the cool part. Its been 2 weeks and no gluten mares. twice I've dreamed I accidentally ate gluten, but i didn't freak out and thought "oops! I better quit eating that." and the dream continued happily lol.

I shared this story because I thought some of you out there might benefit from a change of attitude... i think alot of us are excessively afraid of gluten. We need to be wary, but not living in fear! (amazing what some new perspective can do, isn't it?)

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ridgewalker Contributor

While I can't really comment on the alternative treatment, the attitude part is interesting.

It's such a narrow line to walk. Nobody wants to be living in fear of food. And the truth is, an occasional glutening is not going to kill anyone (although some people can end up in the hospital from dehydration, which is serious.)

The problem lies in the fact that gluten is SO wide-spread, and SO common, that you have to have constant vigilance-- if you don't, there won't be an occasional glutening, it's going to happen frequently. And THAT is very dangerous.

I suppose the real trick is to have constant vigilance without constant fear!

ShayFL Enthusiast

I have had issues with food for as long as I can remember. But the fear is the worst. I too have had nightmares about gluten. Dang it....your dreams should be where you can pig out on pizza and donuts......LOL

I tried NAET about 10 years ago. It did absolutely nothing for me. Nothing. I did 12 treatments and then threw in the towel. It was just too darned expensive for me at the time.

Plyncie Newbie
I have had issues with food for as long as I can remember. But the fear is the worst. I too have had nightmares about gluten. Dang it....your dreams should be where you can pig out on pizza and donuts......LOL

LOL i know! I wish i could just eat pizza and cookies and bread in my dreams, but NO i have to avoid them in my sleep too hahaha

I tried NAET about 10 years ago. It did absolutely nothing for me. Nothing. I did 12 treatments and then threw in the towel. It was just too darned expensive for me at the time.

oh.. thats too bad. I was hoping to hear good news... I'm sorry it didnt' work for you!

If i don't get some positive experiences from others eventually, i might not pursue it...

Thanks for your response!

Plyncie Newbie
I suppose the real trick is to have constant vigilance without constant fear!

exactly! which is what i've successfully done in these last 2 weeks. I can't say exactly what has changed besides getting some outside perspective, but it sure has lessened my stress level! :)

mamaw Community Regular

Naet & Bio-Set both are muscle testing. I've done both with a excellent practitioner. The problem is finding a excellent practitioner. They are hard to come by!

Neither will cure celiac disease. They cannot cure or heal autoimmune disorders. My two practitioners stated that on the first visit!

But I can say it ot both has helped me with food allergies, migraines, itchy skin,hives & general fatigue.Plus through that testing I was able to find some other medical issues that needed to be addressed by a medical doctor ....

My pets also use Naet testing & it has helped them also.....

hth

mamaw

Ridgewalker Contributor
exactly! which is what i've successfully done in these last 2 weeks. I can't say exactly what has changed besides getting some outside perspective, but it sure has lessened my stress level! :)

Well that can only be a good thing- I'm glad you've been having a bit of an easier time!!! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pele Rookie

I have heard about two physical therapists and one LMT in Oregon who are claiming to heal leaky gut caused by gluten intolerance. If you go to one, let us know if it works!!

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Naet & Bio-Set both are muscle testing. I've done both with a excellent practitioner. The problem is finding a excellent practitioner. They are hard to come by!

Like mamaw...I had positive experiences with BioSET. I have never tried NAET.

I agree that the outcome has alot to do with the experience of the practitioner. I was fortunate....I was seeing someone who is very experienced and who trains other practitioners. Its true that the good ones are really hard to come by. I was referred to her by one of my MD.'s....it was my first experience with any type of 'alternative' treatment. I was not real excited about in the beginning.....but after my first visit....I absolutely loved it!

My sensitivities were pretty extreme....basically I reacted to almost everything that was tested....at every visit. My practitioner had said that I was one of the most 'complicated' patients she'd seen...so I wasnt really expecting miracles.

I honestly cant say if it helped with the sensitivities because there were just too many things that I react to....both food and environmental....plus my own hormones, neurotransmitters, etc.

My Dr. sent me to her for reasons other than food sensitivity. She's one of a few in the country who does alot of metabolic stuff....involving detoxification pathways. So that was the main reason for going...and I did feel like the treatments helped me. I did have a few treatments for various food groups..but I couldnt tell if it helped.

For me it wasnt as simple as treating a few things....but for the people who arent so complicated it seems like many of them have very positive results.

BioSET helped me with detox issues more than with the food issues....but even more helpful was the testing process. This was the part that fascinated me the most. The results from BioSET helped my doctor to know what lab tests to order and we did get a better "picture" as far as what underlying problems I have. It was a really good starting point for me. :)

He said that people who get hit by cars are afraid to cross the street, which is understandable, but in time they should be able to cross the street after looking both ways a few times. He said I need to change my attitude and eat with care, but not fear. He said the fear itself could be making the sensitivity worse itself!

I like this guy!

I totally agree with him. Fear can have a negative impact on our health....especially when its constant. Its a "stress"....and any type of chronic stress can result in weakened immunity and health problems.

I'm glad that he talked to you about that and that its helped you to relieve some of this stress. :)

dksart Apprentice
Since I went to the osteopath, I told him about these dreams, and he said there was no reason to live in this kind of fear. He said that people who get hit by cars are afraid to cross the street, which is understandable, but in time they should be able to cross the street after looking both ways a few times. He said I need to change my attitude and eat with care, but not fear. He said the fear itself could be making the sensitivity worse itself!

I shared this story because I thought some of you out there might benefit from a change of attitude... i think alot of us are excessively afraid of gluten. We need to be wary, but not living in fear! (amazing what some new perspective can do, isn't it?)

Thanks!

Thank You for sharing your story! I am changing my attitude right now. I have been having way too much "Gluten Anxiety" and I truly believe this is going to help. :)

Plyncie Newbie
They cannot cure or heal autoimmune disorders. My two practitioners stated that on the first visit!

But I can say it ot both has helped me with food allergies, migraines, itchy skin,hives & general fatigue.Plus through that testing I was able to find some other medical issues that needed to be addressed by a medical doctor ....

hth

mamaw

My doctor who recommended me to this told me that it could lessen my sensitivity (but not cure it, as you said). I think I have ALOT of sensitivities beside to gluten which make this whole process confusing and difficult, and it would be nice to figure out exactly WHAT i can and can't eat lol. I can NOT eat it just fine as long as i know what not to eat!

Plyncie Newbie
I have heard about two physical therapists and one LMT in Oregon who are claiming to heal leaky gut caused by gluten intolerance. If you go to one, let us know if it works!!

I dont' know if he claims to heal leaky gut or not, but he does NAET for people with Celiac.

I haven't made an appointment with this guy yet, but i was told by his receptionist that he's had the most experience of anyone in Oregon. Here's his info:

Ronald E. Kibert, D.C.

Contact Information

Company: All Family Chiropractic

Address: 4610 SW Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy

Portland, OR 97221

USA

Phone: 503 245 3444

Fax: 503 245 6477

e-mail: drkibertdc@allfamilychiropracticclinic.com

I haven't decided to go yet, but if i do, i'll let everyone know!

Plyncie Newbie
Like mamaw...I had positive experiences with BioSET.

I need to look into Bioset! I haven't heard of it until today. Its wonderful that you had positive results with it! I'm just looking for identification and perhaps lessening of my sensitivities...I"m not sure I have as many complications as you, so maybe i'd see a differnce....

I like this guy!

I totally agree with him. Fear can have a negative impact on our health....especially when its constant. Its a "stress"....and any type of chronic stress can result in weakened immunity and health problems.

I'm glad that he talked to you about that and that its helped you to relieve some of this stress. :)

I know I like him too!! :) hehe he had a way of talking that made me believe him too lol

Plyncie Newbie
Thank You for sharing your story! I am changing my attitude right now. I have been having way too much "Gluten Anxiety" and I truly believe this is going to help. :)

yay! It makes me happy to read that! :-D

tmb Newbie

Hi Plyncie,

I used NAET in 2002 for about 6 months. It did work for me but only temporarily. I had quite a few treatments and in Australia the practitioner was not expensive and partly covered by medical aid. The muscle testing showed reactions to quite a few foods, inhalants etc. I was treated for all of these and the results were very positive. However, after a few months the symptoms returned and additional treatments did not appear to help. I spoke with a very good doctor who is a gifted diagnostic using iridology. His view is that NAET treatment is like acupuncture and stimulates the oxygen takeup and CO2 elimination at a cellular level. This improves overall health, eliminates toxins, but needs to be maintained, but does not remove the underlying cause of something like gluten intolerance. The practitioner also treated his wife who was intolerant to many things. Continual treatment over many years allowed her to live a relatively normal life, but it did not appear to be curative.

Plyncie Newbie
Hi Plyncie,

I used NAET in 2002 for about 6 months. It did work for me but only temporarily. I had quite a few treatments and in Australia the practitioner was not expensive and partly covered by medical aid. The muscle testing showed reactions to quite a few foods, inhalants etc. I was treated for all of these and the results were very positive. However, after a few months the symptoms returned and additional treatments did not appear to help. I spoke with a very good doctor who is a gifted diagnostic using iridology. His view is that NAET treatment is like acupuncture and stimulates the oxygen takeup and CO2 elimination at a cellular level. This improves overall health, eliminates toxins, but needs to be maintained, but does not remove the underlying cause of something like gluten intolerance. The practitioner also treated his wife who was intolerant to many things. Continual treatment over many years allowed her to live a relatively normal life, but it did not appear to be curative.

wow! thank you for sharing your experience. This actually really helps me make some decisions.

Thanks everyone! :)

Archived