Maltodextrin?

• Please log in to reply

26 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NancyNet_*

Guest_NancyNet_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2004 - 08:02 PM

Hi Everyone,
In one of the topics someone ( I believe it was Deb?) said that MaltoDextrin is gluten-free. That all MaltoDextrin used in food in the US is corn based and must be mentioned on the label if not. I have been avoiding anything with MaltoDextrin for years and it has kept allot of good things out of my diet. Before I go buying and eating foods with MaltoDextrin on the label, could someone please give me a website or who said without a doubt that this is true? I have been having terrible IBS symptoms and cannot get rid of them always nauseous, feeling like I have to go to the bathroom and weak and would not want to gluten myself more. I cannot pin down what is causing my problems right now :( I would appreciate all the help and knowledge I can get from all of you... Thanks Nancy :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 04:09 AM

hi nancy---this is what my book says about maltodextrin----maltodextrin is prepared as a white powder or concentrated solution by partial hydrolysis of corn starch or potato starch with safe and suitable acids and enzymes--maltodextrin when listed in food in the USA must be (per FDA regulation) made from corn or potato-----however, this does not apply to medications or vitamin and mineral supplements-----------this is from the safe and forbidden list in celiac.com---i hope this relieves your mind nancy---i truly would not have stated it if i didnt feel it was true--i use sweeteners all the time--i like splenda best, but use equal and nutrataste also----my sister is a dietician and has leraned everything she can about celiacs,, she too is celiac and believe me, i questioned her about maltodextrin---it's safe---otay :D deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#3 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 04:19 AM

In the US, and in foods, maltodextrin is gluten-free. In pharmaceuticals, you should be more careful, but for regular foods, you're fine...again, I don't have a website, but a book.

#4 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 07:07 AM

I also can't point you to anything other than the celiac.com safe and forbidden lists and the fact that this is what I read in every celiac forum. Most -- if not all -- people I know don't worry about maltodextrin in food.

There's another lesson here. Many, many ingredients that we've heard we either can't have or need to be careful about, are in fact gluten-free or nearly always gluten-free. If you're avoiding everything with ingredients like natural or artificial flavors, modified food starch, starch, artificial colors, caramel color, etc., then you're avoiding a lot of products you can eat. All you have to do is call the manufacturer (or in the case of quite a few companies, juts read the ingredients).

richard

#5 Guest_NancyNet_*

Guest_NancyNet_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2004 - 10:26 AM

Thanks Everyone... Wow that is a weight off my shoulders! :o
Deb.... I was not questioning your info just asking where you got it, I would love to know what book this is you mentioned with the info in it. I was diagnosed in "96 and you would not believe the lack of information I was given, even the dietician they sent me to gave me wrong info... :blink: I have allot of books and live on the pc Celiac sites but there info changes often too.. I love this Forum!!!! I am really learning how to research from you ppl and keep my info on a PalmOne... went right out and bought one lol...
Richard your right about avoiding allot of foods I don't need to...I always went by better safe than sorry attitude, but thanks to your help I can now eat more...Thanks...

Have a Happy Healthy Day All.... Nancy

#6 strack2004

strack2004

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 02:22 PM

Nancy, Another celiac site is http://www.breakingt...ciouscycle.info.
This site is designed for celiac, ibs and other digestive problems. It contains an extensive list of legal and illegal foods. Some pharmaceuticals are given in the main list. Not a whole lot. Possibly another area of the site would contain that kind of information. Strack

#7 edgewalker_sc

edgewalker_sc

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 04:54 PM

I'd like to remind everyone to be very careful when maltodextrin appears as an ingredient in a medicine or supplement. As a previous poster noted, the FDA labeling guidelines regarding maltodextrin do not apply to meds or vitamins. Just this past week, I had the absolute worst "celiac episode" that I've had in years. (I was diagnosed in '89) I couldn't understand it, since I'd been sick with a cold for several days, and hadn't been eating much of anything at all except for gluten-free chicken soup and gluten-free toast --- plus, I'm not very sensitive to gluten and don't usually have a reaction from trace amounts. The other night I finally thought to check the ingredients on the Theraflu that I'd been taking before bed every night since I caught the cold. Sure enough -- maltodextrin. I stopped taking Theraflu and sure enough my symptoms cleared up. The celiac symptoms, anyway. I still have the cold. :(

My mom (also celiac) has had similar problems with vitamins containing maltodextrin. Unfortunately for her, she has decided that all maltodextrin is suspect and won't eat anything at all that contains it. Sad that she's limiting herself this way, but she can't be convinced otherwise.

Andria

#8 Guest_NancyNet_*

Guest_NancyNet_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2004 - 09:57 PM

Nancy, Another celiac site is http://www.breakingt...ciouscycle.info.
This site is designed for celiac, ibs and other digestive problems. It contains an extensive list of legal and illegal foods. Some pharmaceuticals are given in the main list. Not a whole lot. Possibly another area of the site would contain that kind of information. Strack

Strack, I tried clicking on the URL you sent me in your message, and I received a message that the is a error with the URL???? could you please check this out? I would like to see the website with it's info, as I still am having symptoms.. thanks for your help Nancy.... :huh:

#9 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 03:44 AM

;) morning nancy--he had one word wrong is all---the site is www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info now try that--otay, i tried and it works---deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#10 strack2004

strack2004

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 02:17 PM

Nancy: Sorry about the URL! I guess I used to get this site with that one, but now I get a message that the site is discontinued. It's true that version of the site has been discontinued. Here is a URL I just tried out. http:www.scdiet.org/. Put that in at the top of your screen where it says Address. When it comes up, clickon "about" go to the left side of the page in the dark blue section. Click on visit Elaine's official website: Breaking The Vicious Cycle.info. If you click on the other items youll find still more information about celiac. Hope this works. Cheers, Ruth (Strack)

#11 Professor

Professor

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 10:20 AM

Yes, after 10 years of this, I still have questions. What about maltodextrin? I don't eat stuff like this, but I don't let gluten in the door, so I've always said no to maltodextrin on a label. I know malt, malt flavoring, and malt vinegar are usually from barley, and dextrin is sometimes corn and sometimes wheat, so I put those together and have always felt it's unsafe (not gluten-free).

Any words of wisdom here? :unsure: Gluten or not?

Thanks in advance,

Patty

P.S. My daughter will love all of you forever is you say gluten-free! :D
I am a doctor, but not that kind, and I don't play one online anyway!

#12 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 10:49 AM

;) i do love being loved by others--in the USA maltodextrin is made from corn--i havent used anything so far that made me sick--tell her i love her too----deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

#13 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 10:58 AM

Maltodextrin in the US food is gluten-free. :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#14 Professor

Professor

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 01:19 PM

BG (my affectionate name for her -- stands for brat-girl) will be thrilled! You each have another person who loves you! :D

But seriously, thanks for the quick answer.

Patty
I am a doctor, but not that kind, and I don't play one online anyway!

#15 girlygirl

girlygirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 02:22 PM

Maltodextrin often contains MSG which is a big NONO for celiacs (really MSG should be a big nono to all human beings). Many items that contain MSG hide that it is in the product. Carrageenan which is in alot of dairy products including icecream many times contain MSG. People need to contact the manufactuer when not sure. But do not call and ask if there is MSG in the food, they will say no. Ask instead if there is any "free glutamic acid" they can't lie at that point. Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: