Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Can Dh Come And Go?

7 posts in this topic

Mydaughter often breaks out in a bumpy "rash" on the back of her neck in the hairline. This rash comes and goes. It could be absent for weeks, then suddenly appear, staying for 3 or 4 days, then disappear as suddenly as it came. The rash on her neck does itch. To me it looks more like small pus filled pimples, than little blisters. The contents appear whitish, not clear.

She also wears "Good night Pull ups" at bedtime, and also has a nasty bumpy "rash" that comes and goes on her buttocks. Again, it could appear one day, last for a few days, and then recede for a few days to weeks before reappearing. My sister suggested maybe this was a sort of heat rash, related to wearing the pull-ups and being sweaty in them, but the rash is only on her buttocks, not in the front areas at all. Daughter says the bumps on her behind hurt rather than itch.

Third symptom that has me wondering, is cracks near the corner of her mouth. I know that true "angular cheilitis" which can be related to celiac is right in the corner of the mouth where the lips meet. Daughter's crack(s) are very near the corner, but not exactly at the junction. These cracks appear more rarely than the rashes, like maybe only once every other month, but she is the only one of my children who gets them. She can feel them coming on, as she tells me when one is starting. She thinks they are cold sores, like her older sister gets, but I know they are not. They are very different from the blistering, crusting herpes cold sore my oldest daughter is prone to.

She is currently on a mainstream gluten filled diet! I hate to appear alarmist and bark up the wrong tree completely, especially when I know how difficult it is to convince physicians that celiac is real and present. If I am going to have to get into "bull dog" mode in pursuing a diagnosis, I want to have my facts straight first, so that my confidence won't be shaken by a patronizing doctor.

SOooooo do her symptoms sound like Dermatitis Herpetiformis/Celiac disease, or should I be looking elsewhere for a reason for her "rashes"?

Ads by Google:

All I do is comment from my own experience. It does not sound like the DH I had.

richard

When I have accidentally have gluten I get itchy on my elbows and around my knees. I will get bumps there and it will be itchy for a while and then the bumps will go away. My diet normally controls it. I don't get it as much now. Before I was diagnosed it would happen very frequently. This may not happen in everyone this was just my personal experience.

Good luck :D

My 3 yo daughter has had a rash on her bottom that sounds similar to your child's. The Ped said it was eczema and gave her elidel (sp?) cream. My understanding is that celiac kids are also more prone to eczema. She also had a dry bumpy itchy rash all over her body (really I couldn't see it, but could feel it). The elidel did seem to help; but what I found to be most helpful was to slather her with Eucerin every night before bed. She's really improved and rarely scratches anymore. I don't know if her rash was related to her celiac disease or not.

Hi! Your daughter's rash around the neck and hairline seem exactly like mine and my daughter's.

That is the first place I break out. If your daughter thinks about it, she may realize that she senses these coming on as well, though that area is not as sensitive. DH can come in different places on different people. Mine starts in my hairline, then my chin and ears, then shows up on my shoulders, arms, and backside. Those on my backside are tender like boils. Not sure why they feel different. I can sense the ones on my face before they ever get that light red look then break out into the pus pocket things. My daughter gets them in her hairline, but never in her ears, always on her lower legs first. She rarely gets them around her hips and rear. In both our cases, the bumps were first diagnosed as other things like eczema. It was not until the celiac disease diagnosis that it was determined to be DH.

The only way to be sure is to test them, but you can probably get a pretty good idea by keeping a food diary.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Gluten Free Chicken? No Such Thing
      Yes, chicken you buy in the store can contain gluten.  Chicken meat will not contain gluten before packaging, but look at the excerpt below from an article entitled: What's really in supermarket poultry (abbreviated title) The article specifically mentions wheat  (it's toward the end of the passage) as a potential ingredient in the solution injected into the chicken meat.  They inject a lot of this solution into the meat, as much as 30% of the chicken weight you pay for can be the injected solution.  If packaged chicken is gluten free it will say so below the box on the plastic wrap that has the nutritional information (calories etc). Here's the passage: His next task is to bulk out the trim by getting it to absorb water and additives. For this to happen, the manufacturer has to create a ‘brine’, a chemical solution that will encourage the meat to retain liquid using binding agents. These binding agents are usually from five main sources, which can be used separately or mixed together. The first is transglutaminase, an enzyme that is essentially a natural glue. Indeed, it is sometimes called ‘meat glue’. The second is from a group collectively known as hydrocolloids, substances that form a gel on contact with water. These hydrocolloids include carrageenan, which is derived from seaweed, as well as the exotically named locust bean gum — extracted from the seeds of the carob tree — and guar gum, which derives from ground guar beans. The third widely-used agent, especially in seafood, is phosphate, which is taken from phosphoric acid and is valued for its ability to make oil adhere to water. The fourth is fibre, made from a source such as wheat, citrus or cellulose. And the fifth is protein powder, which is made by extracting collagen from pigs’ skins.
    • The US Preventative Services Task Force needs our help - tell them why Celiac screening is important!
      I'm British so I can't take part, but good on you for pushing the case for screening.  Aside from the arguments you quote I'd bet there would be significant financial forces opposed to widespread screening. Large food companies, farmers etc.  So there may be an element of politics involved?
    • Biopsy confirmed?
      What were they looking for when they did the endoscopy? This is all backwards. You usually get a blood test first & then if that's positive they do an endoscopy.  Did they tell you to make sure to continue eating gluten until the blood test is taken?
    • Biopsy confirmed?
      Did they say if the villi are damaged?  did they do a full Celiac panel or just a TTG? 
    • Biopsy confirmed?
      Hi all. First post here :-)  I recently received my biopsy results from my endoscopy which showed lymphocytes in my duodenum. My surgeon said this is possibly celiacs and ordered a blood test to confirm. I had the blood test done 2 years ago and it was negative. So my question is could it really be ceilac and has this happened to anyone else? Also does anyone else know if this could be a false reading from the biopsy? And if the blood test is negative will he still assume celiac ... Again I would love to hear your stories on diagnosis if similar to me, So many questions! I get my results on Friday as I have to have further testing for other non-related things from the endo and just want to know the likelihood I guess. Feeling a little daunted and need to start thinking ahead if this is happening  Thanks in advance xx
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
    • ChiaChick  »  Peaceflower

Hi Peaceflower, Just wanted to say thank you for the chat.
      · 0 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    kyle1960