This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Taking Communion At New Church And Dh

brizzo

brizzo Contributor

Hey guys, I have been DH sufferer and gluten-free for almost three years. I just wanted to talk about this experience for anybody that may have had the same concerns as me regarding taking communion/sacrament/or whatever your particular church might call it.

Long story short. I have been a protestant christian my whole life. I started passing along, or skipping out on, the bread portion of the communion tray as soon as I went gluten-free. That was the first issue.

Fast forward to 1 month ago: After a life long of soul searching, I joined a Lutheran church. Communion is a whole new ball game here. Anyone who is Catholic/Lutheran/Episcopalian/and maybe some others that I have left out, know that the service is absolutely centered around communion/sacrament/or whatever your denomination might call it. We believe that grace is implemented through this meal. You don't simply "pass the plate", or say "I can't eat wheat."

(Just a side note... this is a topic about wheat, not theology. So whatever religion you might/might not be. I love you all ! Please don't take offense. =)

So, after becoming a member of my new church, I thought the typical thoughts... Will my DH go crazy? If I can't eat this, am I going to miss out on grace? Does this mean that I am not part of God's family? I know, really stupid thoughts... but my silly self thought this... take it or leave it.

Fast forward to today, I have been doing the whole communion 100% without ANY ill effects. Is it that I am eating such a small amount of wheat in my diet, that I don't break out? Is it a blessing from numero uno? I don't know... But it is what it is. I pray that it continues to stay this way, and ask that you guys say a quick prayer for me too, if you feel so inclined! If you need prayer, I am all ears! Send me a note!

I know that this probably seems "silly" to some of you, and maybe some of you have had some similar issues. I write this to hopefully encourage others that there is possibility of hope! If you have had similar stories, please comment. I would love to hear. You guys are great, and hang in there!!!!!!!

Brizzo

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

purple Community Regular

I know that God can bless me /you/anyone that asks so you don't get glutened from the wafer. I know that God could heal you/anyone completely and permanently if he so chooses to do so. I know that we all may have a thorn in our flesh but God may choose not to remove it. I know that God wants the relationship with us not the rules and rituals that any church or denomination sets before us. Our hearts towards him is far more important than a wafer. I know his word says that when we take communion it is to remember Jesus and what he did at the cross for us, not to receive any special grace. Luke 22:19 And he took the bread and gave thanks and brake it and gave unto them saying this is my body which is given for you this do in remembrance of me. I know we cannot add to anything to what Jesus did at the cross. I know that our adversary is always trying to make us feel guilty. I know we live in a fallen world and there has been diseases from the beginning and more towards the end. I know I am going to heaven b/c of what Jesus did at the cross for me personally. I know that we may have to die to get there whether by disease and sickness or if Jesus comes back for me sooner. I know he has plans for me now whether I am a celiac or a druggy or broke or an orphan or blind or whatever circumstance I am in. I know that he loves me unconditionally and he cares about every moment of my life. I know I can choose to take the wafer or not but it does not change my relationship with Jesus or his love for me. This is my personal opinion and anyone has the right to choose to differ and to have their own opinion about communion and life itself. :D With God...All things are possible!

cruelshoes Enthusiast

Theological discussions aside, the external manifestation of symptoms is not a good gauge for internal reaction. The effects of gluten are often cumulative, and it may be that you have not yet reached the tipping point to begin having reactions you can feel.

Good luck to you, whatever choice your faith leads you to make.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Brizzo,

I haven't seen you for a while :)

Miracles aside (I didn't mean that in a frivolous way, as I believe in them), I think that partaking of the wheat bread regularly will result in damage and also symptoms at some point. You may have healed enough at the moment, but I'm afraid it will catch up with you.

I know that as a Catholic, I can take only the wine and not the host. Can you speak to your pastor and see if there's a similar solution for you?

CarlaB Enthusiast

In the Catholic Church it's okay to just take the cup. We cannot use anything but wheat for the host.

I don't know if the Lutheran Church is the same .... perhaps you could use a host made from rice? Or there are some Benedictine Sisters who make a low gluten host that is even acceptable in the Catholic Church.

I have to agree with others. You may be healed enough that you aren't showing symptoms from the small amount of gluten, but it will add up. I wouldn't risk it.

souzahanson Apprentice

Couldn't you provide your pastor/priest/minster(?) with a gluten free cracker to be blessed and taken during communion? After all isn't the cracker just a symbolic representation of the "Body of Christ"?

brizzo Contributor

Thanks guys, you all have great comments and I appreciate them all. And yes, I have been out for a while. But it's good to be back!

I do agree with those of you that say, that there is definitely intestinal damage being done by 1 wafer every week, Wether my external DH symptoms "flare up", or not. I don't disagree with that one bit! But I also know that even on a 100% gluten-free strict diet. We all ingest some gluten at some time. No matter how small! Let's face it, if you walk by a pizza parlor in New York City, you are going to get gluten-ated just from flour dust in the air, by breathing it in. We can't walk around in bubble suits. (I know I am going to get yelled at for that one!) LOL!!! But, in my personal opinion, it's all about quality of life/versus risk from gluten.

Isn't it the same in other areas in our life? Look at driving in an automobile. There is definitely a risk of injury/death by riding in a car. But we choose to take that risk, because it is a quality of life versus risk issue. Quality wins, hands down! Even though it may kill us one day!

In my personal opinion, taking communion on a gluten-free diet, is along those lines. Do you or I believe that it will increase the quality of our lives/souls/faith (whatever...) enought to outweigh the damage /risks that it causes. This is something that we must all ask our self individually, and pray about. Including myself!!

I absolutely do NOT want to get too theological, but it's hard to steer away from theology, given the topic. Wether you believe that communion is just a remembrance meal, the actual body and blood of Christ, or absolutely meaningless. There is one thing that all christians can agree on. Jesus Christ said "DO THIS" in remembrance of me. I can't remember a single time in the Bible when Jesus/God said DO THIS and the person would have been better off if they didn't DO THAT! EVEN IF it seemed CRAZY at the time! Just look back at Davis and Goliath, Daniel and the lion's den, the passover blood, Isaac/Abraham, and many more!

I think that in the case of communion, in my decision, the benefits outweigh the risk. Based solely on the fact that Jesus said DO THIS. So I will DO THIS. I just pray that I will have the strength and protection of God like David did, when facing Goliath with a slingshot!

To some, I am sure that I probably sound delusional. But isn't faith the belief in things not seen? I hope my faith holds strong!

Brizzo

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Softballer7 Newbie

Hi I am only a teen but have had major personal issues with the catholic church about this. Please post and tell me if you belong to the catholic church and I will let you know!

psawyer Proficient
Hi I am only a teen but have had major personal issues with the catholic church about this. Please post and tell me if you belong to the catholic church and I will let you know!

There have been several threads on this topic in the past. You are new here, so you don't remember the pain this topic has caused in the past. Please search this board for "communion" and you will find what you need without rekindling the debate here.

souzahanson Apprentice

Brizzo,

They didn't have premade nasty tasting wafers 2000 years ago did they. It's your body, but I think it's crazy to gluten yourself ever week when there is a safe alternative. So have at it, let us know when you start to have a reaction, because you will!!!!

jerseyangel Proficient
I think that in the case of communion, in my decision, the benefits outweigh the risk. Based solely on the fact that Jesus said DO THIS. So I will DO THIS.

Then there is your answer. I don't believe there's any right or wrong in a situation like this--we all have to find the way that makes sense in our lives. :)

purple Community Regular
Thanks guys, you all have great comments and I appreciate them all. And yes, I have been out for a while. But it's good to be back!

I do agree with those of you that say, that there is definitely intestinal damage being done by 1 wafer every week, Wether my external DH symptoms "flare up", or not. I don't disagree with that one bit! But I also know that even on a 100% gluten-free strict diet. We all ingest some gluten at some time. No matter how small! Let's face it, if you walk by a pizza parlor in New York City, you are going to get gluten-ated just from flour dust in the air, by breathing it in. We can't walk around in bubble suits. (I know I am going to get yelled at for that one!) LOL!!! But, in my personal opinion, it's all about quality of life/versus risk from gluten.

Isn't it the same in other areas in our life? Look at driving in an automobile. There is definitely a risk of injury/death by riding in a car. But we choose to take that risk, because it is a quality of life versus risk issue. Quality wins, hands down! Even though it may kill us one day!

In my personal opinion, taking communion on a gluten-free diet, is along those lines. Do you or I believe that it will increase the quality of our lives/souls/faith (whatever...) enought to outweigh the damage /risks that it causes. This is something that we must all ask our self individually, and pray about. Including myself!!

I absolutely do NOT want to get too theological, but it's hard to steer away from theology, given the topic. Wether you believe that communion is just a remembrance meal, the actual body and blood of Christ, or absolutely meaningless. There is one thing that all christians can agree on. Jesus Christ said "DO THIS" in remembrance of me. I can't remember a single time in the Bible when Jesus/God said DO THIS and the person would have been better off if they didn't DO THAT! EVEN IF it seemed CRAZY at the time! Just look back at Davis and Goliath, Daniel and the lion's den, the passover blood, Isaac/Abraham, and many more!

I think that in the case of communion, in my decision, the benefits outweigh the risk. Based solely on the fact that Jesus said DO THIS. So I will DO THIS. I just pray that I will have the strength and protection of God like David did, when facing Goliath with a slingshot!

To some, I am sure that I probably sound delusional. But isn't faith the belief in things not seen? I hope my faith holds strong!

Brizzo

Its all about faith. My struggle is God has revealed to my daughter that she is healed but God doesn't live in time like we do. Is she healed now...her body says no. Will she be healed in heaven...yes. Does she believe she is healed...yes, but it hasn't happened...yet. Then...how will she know she is healed since she can't know what is going on inside. Does she keep eating gluten...no. Does the healing take place miraculously and how will she know? Or does it take place in time? If she keeps eating gluten it can do unseen damage even if she feels good. This I know, we walk by faith and not by sight. God knows what he is doing. God is our healer. God will tell her when she can eat gluten again when he is ready to do so. Meanwhile her faith is growing and so is her relationship with the Lord. God knows all things and can do all things! This is the thorn in her flesh that helps her keep her eyes on him and he will not take it away too soon. Good news... when she gets to heaven she will understand why all this has happened to her but then gluten won't matter anymore. She will be able to eat for pleasure and not to stay alive. For now its her job to believe what God told her and to keep believing, God honors faith(yours too, Brizzo!). Example of my above thoughts and questions: God had David annointed as king but it was a long time before he became king. 1st Samuel 16 to 2nd Samuel 2:11

brizzo Contributor

Random thoughts............

As a result of the fuse that this issue is causing (one that I did not intend to light!) , I sincerely apologize. To anybody who thinks that I am crazy, I am sorry. Some people think that riding a motorcycle is crazy, and I do that too.

And just FYI, I am not against taking a "rice " wafer, etc . I don't believe that unleavened bread is the only way... I just believe that even when 100% gluten-free, you still get some inadvertent gluten ingestion, and I ...

A. Am in denial about the damage that "just a lil bit of gluten", can do OR

B. I just don't care enough (as long as I don't have a rash on my face). OR

C. Don't want to be "the guy who can't take normal communion at the church" or the witch of salem. (Let's face it... the church is full of people, people are all sinners, and they can be downright mean sometimes!)

or maybe a combination of all three???? I am not 100% sure on that yet.

I know most people on here are 100% no gluten. And then there is the ABSOLUTELY NO GLUTEN, MUST WASH HANDS THREE TIMES, WEAR AN AIR MASK, SHAKEN NOT STIRRED, DO THE HOKEY POKEY, types. And that's fine too.

I understand that your thought process tells you to "avoid at all costs." That's cool with me! My thought process is

to minimize damage when applicable and practical. And I hope that is cool with you! =) And to me, being "that one guy" in church is NOT cool with me. Is that shallowness/weakness/insecurity on my part, maybe so. But at least I know it and ACCEPT IT. NEWS FLASH......."I am weak and have faults!" The first person to point that out wins $100.00! LOL =) But I do not feel sorry for myself, want sympathy etc..... at the end of the day it's me that has to live with it , right?

I smoke cigarettes, so obviously "fear of disease" is not a big motivator for me. They are ultra lights though! Like I said earlier, damage control when applicable/practical! LOL!!!

I guess I realize that I can't live forever, and even if I am going to die at 100 years old, tell me that when I am 99, and I will feel cheated! My eye is on the prize of eternity and afterlife, I hope to just get there, wether it be today or 100 years from now.

And for anyone that thinks that I am this- pizza eating/beer drinking/flour sifting maniac, that is not the case. I knowingly and purposefully ingest wheat at communion and communion only.

Any-who.... man is it hot in here.... this is a bit more "intense" than I normally write. But I think that it is great that we can all express ourselves civilly on here! That speaks allot about this great community.

I hope I didn't piss anyone off too bad....... Sorry Guys...... I still love you guys! Brizzo

brizzo Contributor

purple that was beautiful and EXACTLY what I needed to hear, thank you so much for sharing!

purple Community Regular

You're welcome! Our faith is to be shared same as our problems. As the body of Christ we are to lift each other up. Just like every person/health is different, so is what we believe. How much our faith grows is depended alot on our trials. This gluten one is a big one b/c we can't see inside. God wants our faith to get to the point of sacrifice as Abraham did with Isaac in Genesis 22. You seem to be there by what you said, however we must never test God, it has to be by faith. Only each person knows where they are at and others can't understand, just like celiacs and non-celiacs. God gives us a measure of faith then grows it. God is good!!! (p.s. I like to ride dirt bikes and 4-wheelers, but I don't say the p___ word even though its in the bible- KJV)

home-based-mom Contributor

As you are a brand new member of this church, I strongly suggest you talk to the pastor about this issue. If your congregation is any size at all, they are probably already accommodating someone else, and are doing it discretely enough that you didn't notice. ;)

And yes we all will die of something (unless the Lord comes back first) but I would much rather live out my days as healthy as I possibly can rather than suffer from disease and disability and pain etc. for my last years. I vastly increase my chances of doing that if I, as someone once said, treat my body like a temple instead of an amusement park. Or a garbage can. :ph34r:

JMHO

brizzo Contributor

my church has 300 members, and yes my pastor knows about my "wheat allergy" , but I told him that I didn't want to be segregated apart from the rest of the church during communion.

As far as not getting disease when I get older, etc... just a couple of FYI's

1. I am a paramedic, I know what smoking does to a person..... yet I smoke. So, I guess my "give a pooper" might be broke....... as far as doing what's best for my body.

2. I have seen so many people live right, eat right, etc. Yet I have met plenty that have been stricken with cancer, stroke, etc.... at 40 years old. (once again, the paramedic occupation gives me a front row seat to this.) I know plenty of good ol' rednecks that have smoked their whole life and are still farming at 80 years old. I gave up searching for the fountain of youth long ago. And if heaven is as good as the Bible claims, why would I want to stay here forever. In retrospect, a true christian should be praying to hurry up and get done with this life, and get to eternity!

Finally , some of the GOOD BOOK........

I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

You're a grown-up so you don't need anyone's permission to do it. I do hope others won't be encouraged to do it just because you report no ill effects. The truth of the matter, which I can see you understand, is damage could be taking place without any outward signs. If you accept that risk, I support you in your choice. I am Catholic so I do absolutely know how it feels to be "different" when it comes time for Communion. But my own personal cross is light in comparision.

Frankly, I'm WAY MORE CONCERNED that you smoke! :(

God bless and prayers for you!

slmprofesseur Apprentice

I waited to comment on this one...I took communion last week and I felt the pain in my stomach shortly after. The pain that usually sends me to the ER and morphine won't diminish. So this week I will be crossing my arms. I don't want to interrupt the service by calling an ambulance!!!

Jaimepsalm63 Rookie

I'm Catholic and have brought the subject up with my local Bishop and parish priest when I found out I had Celiac. I looked into the "low gluten" hosts. It is approved by the Catholic Church (and they don't like making exceptions about wheat). My doctor finally gave it the go ahead after calling the nuns who make it himself. He said that even if I ingested 100 of those a day it wouldn't hurt me. He agrees with you that gluten gets into the system even by walking by a bakery.

So, I have a separate pix. People have come up to me asking me why I have a separate pix. At first I was embarrassed/annoyed of drawing attention toward myself and not the Eucharist. Then, Fr Mike came up to me and said that because of me there are people asking for the low gluten host. All the Celiacs in my area go to our parish because the Eucharistic Ministers have been trained to make sure the cup I take from is not contaminated with other people's gluten. I'm the first to take from the cup on my side of the church. 3 out of 4 cups do not contain gluten. Several people "line up" behind me now to receive the low gluten host before anyone else.

I was taking the regular host until I told them where to get the low gluten one. I was taking it before my doctor gave me the go ahead. Several people I know said their doctors said no way, but mine actually called the convent and asked for information to be sent to his office.

I will say I respect people who decline the low gluten host. I had a friend of mine tell me I was killing myself and she refused to commit suicide with me. I respect her opinion and know how my body is doing with this.

I'm extremely sensitive to gluten, but have had no problems at all. My doctor gives me the endoscope twice a year and I've had all the villa healed when they started off as close to non existent. My blood work never showed the antigens. This has been going on now for years and still no villa problems. Just my 2 cents.

I agree though Brizzo, I have to have the body and blood to feel God's hand on/in me.

Peace and all good,

Jaime

debmidge Rising Star
my church has 300 members, and yes my pastor knows about my "wheat allergy" , but I told him that I didn't want to be segregated apart from the rest of the church during communion.

As far as not getting disease when I get older, etc... just a couple of FYI's

1. I am a paramedic, I know what smoking does to a person..... yet I smoke. So, I guess my "give a pooper" might be broke....... as far as doing what's best for my body.

2. I have seen so many people live right, eat right, etc. Yet I have met plenty that have been stricken with cancer, stroke, etc.... at 40 years old. (once again, the paramedic occupation gives me a front row seat to this.) I know plenty of good ol' rednecks that have smoked their whole life and are still farming at 80 years old. I gave up searching for the fountain of youth long ago. And if heaven is as good as the Bible claims, why would I want to stay here forever. In retrospect, a true christian should be praying to hurry up and get done with this life, and get to eternity!

Finally , some of the GOOD BOOK........

I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day

Ann1231 Enthusiast

I'm really glad to read this thread!

I blood-tested negative for celiac, most of my family is positive, but I have a true wheat allergy..as in my throat and bronchial tubes start swelling shut if I even get a bite of cross-contamination!

Before my allergy became so life-threatening, I struggled with this so much but now, it's more of a life and death issue. I haven't been to church in a while and I am not sure how to handle this. I want to go tomorrow and I *think* it's communion Sunday. If so, I'm going to have to just pass on the wafer and take the wine. There's a new pastor since I've been there last and I don't know this one at all. It's a very, very small church and I'm sure there will be those noticing and making their comments but you know..it's really none of their business! God knows why I would decline and I know He loves me whether I eat a cracker or not!

hmm....guess I know how I'm going to handle this after all, huh?! lol...

• 2 weeks later...
brizzo Contributor

Demidge,

...I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day

purple Community Regular
Demidge,

...I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day

samcarter Contributor

I am a Byzantine Catholic. I spoke to my priest about the wheat/celiac issue and he pointed out that in the Catholic faith, we believe that Christ is present in both species (bread and wine). Therefore, if one wants to avoid the gluten in the bread, one may licitly receive Communion by wine (the Blood) alone.

This is different that in non-Catholic churches, where the Communion is believed to be a symbol of Christ, rather than Christ Himself, of course. I just wanted any Catholics here to rest assured that if they are receiving the wine, they are fully partaking of Communion. My priest will accomodate me by allowing me to receive only the wine from the cup.

Archived