Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Need A Recommended Sub For Beer Can Chicken.

10 posts in this topic

I realized that I shouldn't be eating one of my favorite things...Beer Can Chicken. For those who aren't familiar with it you take a chicken and prop it over a can of beer that's only 1/3 full, season the outside of the bird well, and grill for about 1-2 hrs. The can of beer heats from the coals and steams the bird from the inside.

Since I'm not a beer drinker, nor every have been, this is the only time I use beer. I've made the chicken with a sub of ginger ale and other sodas but the taste is just not there.

Is there a gluten-free beer that is readily available in most parts of the country or would "near beer" work? I don't know if "near beer" is gluten-free or not. Anyone know? It certainly would be a good sub if it's safe.

Thanks,

Kandee

Ads by Google:

I know that there are gluten-free beers out there but don't know the names. You might try making this using a white wine, maybe a marsala. Just pour it into a can and cook according to your recipe. It won't exactly be beer chicken, but it should still be pretty tastey!

Catfish-

Thanks for your suggestion. The wine trick may work.....looking at the list, Brandy or Champagne may make for some interesting flavors too.

Kaiti-

Thanks for linking the list. I'd forgotten we had one. Eww, you are so pretty. Bet your pale blue scarf and hat matches you eyes(?).

Somewhere out there I bet there is a gluten-free beer you can mail order in, but haven't found it yet. <_<

Kandee

Kandee-aww thanks that was so sweet :) yes it does match my eyes just not on that pic I got red eyes from the flash of the camera... My eyes change colors though with seasons :lol:

Hope you find something that will work right for your chicken :)

Talk to you soon :D

Kaiti, I figured your eyes were a pretty blue!! Since they change they likely pick up what ever color you're wearing...lucky you!!!

Found a gluten-free beer through my Celiac support rep... but it is expensive, like $60 a case..ug.

Ramapo Valley Brewery

www.ramapovalleybrewery.com

122 Orange Ave., Suffern, NY 10901

Still wondering if there is a fake beer out there that would suffice.

Kandee

Personally, I would not stick a $60/case beer up a chicken. What you're trying to get is that malty flavor. This is pretty much impossible without beer. Near beer is also made with barley and is not gluten-free. Using wine only can be too much of a good thing. I suggest this: 2 parts chicken broth, 1 part wine like sherry or a light colored port, 1/2 part pepper sauce (like Louisiana sauce, Tobasco is too hot), 1/4 gluten-free soy sauce. This should do the trick. You can also try hard cider, which I like to put in the pan when I roast chicken.

I've tried the "beer can chicken" with soda. And I was so surprised that it tasted really well. I used Coke or Pepsi. I actually got the idea from friends that were non celiacs. Hope it works for you as well. :rolleyes:

Stacy

kvogt,

OMG, Your idea is awesome, sounds yummy and worth the try...do you have a sub for the soy sauce? (soy intolerant here)...

As it is, when I was using beer I always threw some of the dry rub seasoning that went on the outside of the chicken, both in the cavity and in the beer.

You're so right, what I'm after is the malty taste. Soda just doesn't cut it for me. I even used an organic ginger ale and it was blah.

LMBO, YES, a chicken's posterior is not worth a $60 beer.

Thanks, Kandee

The guys with the beer are Kevin Seplowitz and Craig Belser. Their website is www.bardsbeer.com. You can contact them there

I asked my Sorghum flour supplier about a beer I could carry in my restaurant. Here is his reply.