This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

If Visiting Toronto, Go Here

Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen Community Regular

If anyone is planning on visiting Toronto, here is a restaurant to go to, they also have numerous locations throughout the city.....

Open Original Shared Link

Have a great day!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Thanks Karen, if i make the way to the National Team :lol: , i will be in Toronto in November this year. Do you know about some other gluten-free Restaurants or health stores there? If it's again there, where it was 1998 it will be in the Meadowhale (sp?) Converence and Resort Center where the Canadian Olympic Team already was, too. I don't know, which part of the city that is though <_< . I hope I can make it, i'm so excited.

Greetings, Stef

Thomas Apprentice

Il Fornello's in Toronto: I would suggest going to certain ones over others. The one on Yonge Street in Markham is great with gluten free. However, the one on King Street does not offer all the gluten-free options that the other restaurants do.

There's a pub on the Danforth (around Pape St.) called Fox and the Fiddle that offers great gluten free food. From nachos, to fish and chips, meatloaf, and wings (you might have to call a day in advance).

And Swiss Chalet - this chain is all around Toronto - there chicken, dipping sauce, and baked potatoes are gluten-free... Just always ask them to make sure they use a clean knife when slicing my piece of chicken... As for gluten-free stores:

Chapmans on Bayview and York Mills offers an array of gluten-free foods (from frozen pizzas, lasagnes, cupcakes, muffins, cakes.....)

Ambrozia on Doncaster just north of Yonge Street. They have cookies and snacks, and muffins, and flours and some bars...

Oh wow, Smith!!

Are you serious? Swiss Chalet chicken and dipping sauce is gluten-free? I always thought the dipping sauce had wheat/gluten in it, like a gravy..... You mean I can have Swiss Chalet???? Yummmm!!!! I assumed also their french fries were contaminated since they cook other stuff in the oil, but the baked potatoe is okay?

You just made my day!!!

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks Karen! I may be going to Toronto sometime this year.

Have you tried the food there? Is it good?

I ate gluten free at Swiss Chalet about 8-9 months ago and didn't get sick. They have a gluten free menu that they can give you when you order (At least where I'm from they do).

Yippeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

Guess what I had for supper last night......... MMMMMMM I was in heaven.....

It was absolutely delicious - I savoured every drop!!!!!

As soon as I found out about Swiss Chalet being gluten-free, I called hubby at work and gave him strict instructions to pick it up on his way home!!!!

Doing the happy dance here.......

Hi Carrie,

I ate there for my anniversary and it was very good, and I had no problems afterwards..... The selection is quite good.....

I'm still on cloud 9 though about this Swiss Chalet thing!!!!! Yeah!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Hi Stef:

I hope you make the team..... I think it was probably Meadowvale, it's in the east part of the city, very close to where I used to live (until I moved just out of the city in January). If you don't mind me asking, I don't know what your specialty sport is.... I am trying to guess that maybe your name gives a clue..... is it kick boxing or karate??

If you come to Toronto and need to get gluten-free snacks, I usually get mine at Loblaws. If you go to any Loblaws specialty store, they have a very good selection. I always go to the one at Victoria Park and Gerrard, they have two aisles of gluten-free stuff!! Also, I get my Snakata crackers (which are absolutely delicious, they come in Sour Cream and Chives, Supreme Cheddar, Spicy Barbeque and Sea Salt and Vinegar) at The Bargain Shop, which has stores thoughout the city but I get mine at the store at Kennedy Rd. and Lawrence Ave.

When do you find out if you made the team or not?

Thomas Apprentice

Canadian Karen,

I'm glad that you liked Swiss Chalet...

Awesome, thanks to all your replies. I have to try out some restaurants that week then.

@ Karen: Yes, it's kickboxing. But this association is also a karate association, since they have divisions in both categories. I myself, try to qualify each year in pointfighting, freestyle forms and freestyle forms with weapons. But they also have the traditional kata, if anybody knows, what that is. Oh, well, and so much for the team, i have to say, here in the states, the Officials are pretty lame. I already wrote them 5 times now. And only after my 1st letter they wrote back and then there wasn't any information anymore whatsoever. No qualification tournament, no nothing. Maybe they go by face :huh: . I should write my old german national team trainer again and tell him this. You see, in every division and country there are allowed to start three people (just like in the olympics). Normally these are the first three persons of the ranking list of every country. But in pointfighting and forms in the states there is no ranking list, because there are no qualification tournaments <_< . Don't ask me, i don't know, how they do it :o . But the national team trainer of each country can chose the 3rd person, as they please, so I might ask my old national trainer, if he choses me :P . They already have chosen me once, when i actually was on the 7th place and for some strange reason that also was the worlds in Toronto. Must be Toronto :P . Oh well,...

Hugs, Stef

Wow, that sounds like a really complicated ranking system. Also, since there is no "exact science" way of choosing, sounds like luck has to be involved also.... I really wish you luck and hope you make it!

It must be tough sometimes doing such a physical sport with celiac disease and the symptoms that go along with it. You must be one resilient cookie!!! (a gluten-free one, of course.....lol)

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I ate there for my anniversary and it was very good, and I had no problems afterwards..... The selection is quite good.....

Thanks Karen! I must try it out when I'm in the area!

Hi Karen,

actually it's not so complicated. Only in the states they always fuss around for some reason. All the other countries in the World Karate/Kickboxing Association (WKA) have a very stable rating system and there's no luck at all, just good skills and training/preparing for the tournaments. It's just here in the states. But I was at the WC 2003 in Ireland. That time I already knew, I would be moving to the states. So I asked the daughter (she's one of the team coaches of the american national team) of the american WKA-kickboxing-president about their system in the states and that I would like to start for the national team over here and where their qualifiers (sp?) would be. Well, she said, that they haven't had any qualification tournaments for quite a while due to their family disaster. Her fathers wife had gotten cancer and due to that stress they canceled all the qualifiers :( . But on the other hand she also welcomed me in the american national team. So I don't know what THAT was all about then. Hm, crazy people in this world :blink: .

Hugs, Stef

Archived