This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What's Going On?

ellen123

ellen123 Apprentice

I am happily gluten-free since February 08. My severe daily neck pain is gone as are the frequent migraines associated with the neck pain. Peripheral neuropathy is improved, although not completely better. DH has gotten worse if I get cc'd (or it could be from seaweed, iodized salt, or shellfish, which I now try to avoid. The only problem I'm having is that I now have gas and stomach bloating, which I didn't have before going gluten-free. In fact, I had no GI symptoms before. Any ideas about what's going on?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

Im kinda in the same boat Ellen. And I have not eatin DAIRY in years, so that is NOT my problem.

But it could be yours. Are you eating dairy? You may have to cut it out for awhile and try to re-introduce later.

I had loose BM's prior to gluten-free, but not a lot of bloating. Now I am having bloating. But it might not be related to gluten free living at all.

home-based-mom Contributor

Before going gluten free, neither brown rice nor raw carrots bothered me and now they cause bloating. I am hoping that with enough time that will go away and I can add those items back into my diet.

ShayFL Enthusiast

I am sleuthing and I think I might be on to something. I tried baking with xylitol a few months ago with disasterous effects (bloating, gas and explosive D). Needless to say, I only tried it one time.....

Anyway, I had bought some gluten free gum and would chew it now and again. And have noticed that every time I chew some, I get bloat and D. Even just two little chic let size pieces.

On the xylitol package it says that it may have a laxative effect if eaten in excess OR even small amounts in individuals who are sensitive.

Well I must be very sensitive.

Now here is the rip.....My sublingual B12 (Jarrow) which I have been taking for years, lists xylitol as the first ingredient. I am suspecting this might be my bloating issue now and I've noticed looser BM's. So today I am to hunt for a substitute.

So what I am getting at is that once you go gluten-free, other sensitivities might become apparent and you have to try to figure them out.

IMWalt Contributor
Anyway, I had bought some gluten free gum and would chew it now and again. And have noticed that every time I chew some, I get bloat and D. Even just two little chic let size pieces.

Same here. I was in a meeting a few weeks ago and grabbed a couple pieces of gum from a pack on the table. Had bad cramps all that day. Who would have thought?

Walt

Archived