10 replies to this topic

#1 GlutenGalAZ

GlutenGalAZ

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 09:53 AM

I haven't had any tea since going gluten free last year. I would like to bring a cup to work in the am, after work or if I am not feeling well (ha pretty much anytime).

Any suggestions on some good gluten free tea that is also caffeine free?
Brands?
Use to get Celestial Seasonings but would like to try something else.
Would prefer something I can find in a grocery store or WalMart (local).

Sidenote: I have a box of Tension Tamer Celestial Seasonings from last year that I never tried (when I went gluten free) I read some old posts where people had problems with D and this tea. Also I just purchased Chamomile in the Celestial Seasonings other day and then read in old posts how some people were not reacting well to this either. Any input/thoughts? Both boxes say gluten free on them. Is this brand something I should avoid?

Thank you very much!!
Have a great weekend everyone :D
Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007
Completely Gluten Free February 2008
Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008
No MSG July 2008
Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009
Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 10:13 AM

Hi Rebecca,

Stash Teas are all gluten-free--they don't use the stuff in their factory. Several of the varieties are also caffeine free.

The Decaf Chocolate Hazelnut is especially yummy :D
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#3 newceliac

newceliac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 04:08 PM

I guess I never really thought about tea being gluten free or not. I use Luzianne tea bags at home and brew my own tea.

However, I do buy the sweetened at Sonic and McDonald's quite often. Are these possibly not gluten free? I don't buy the flavored ones just plain sweetened tea.

#4 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 04:37 PM

All the Republic of Tea teas are gluten-free. Some of the Tazo teas are gluten-free(available at Starbucks and some other places). They have a version of cammomile called Calm that has a few other ingredients.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#5 GlutenGalAZ

GlutenGalAZ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:56 PM

Hi Rebecca,

Stash Teas are all gluten-free--they don't use the stuff in their factory. Several of the varieties are also caffeine free.

The Decaf Chocolate Hazelnut is especially yummy :D

Thank you Patti for your reply :) I looked at their website and it looked like they had a store in OR and then online so I called and the lady was really nice said all their tea was gluten free (no gluten in the factory) said they have their teas in a lot of grocery stores but main supply online. So I am going to take a look -- didn't have time to go grocery shopping this weekend <_< but going today.
The chocolate hazelnut sounds yummy Thanks again!

All the Republic of Tea teas are gluten-free. Some of the Tazo teas are gluten-free(available at Starbucks and some other places). They have a version of cammomile called Calm that has a few other ingredients.

missy's mom -- Thank you for the suggestion. I saw Replublic Tea in my local health food store...cans are cute. Right next to them were loose type teas so I think I got confused if The Replublic Tea was in bags or loose as well ;) will take another look.

Thanks again
Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007
Completely Gluten Free February 2008
Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008
No MSG July 2008
Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009
Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09

#6 Chicklet

Chicklet

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:40 PM

Most tea is gluten free, not always with herbal teas and where it is produced of course can change that.
Brands I trust ~ Stash as already mentioned, Twinnings is also safe. There are a lot of other ones too but those two are common and easily found.
Marie in Canada
Gluten sensitive discovered by diet change,April 2006.

#7 toddzgrrl02

toddzgrrl02

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:44 PM

I guess I never really thought about tea being gluten free or not. I use Luzianne tea bags at home and brew my own tea.

However, I do buy the sweetened at Sonic and McDonald's quite often. Are these possibly not gluten free? I don't buy the flavored ones just plain sweetened tea.

Now you have me curious too. We've been using great value tea bags and buying mcd's sweet tea and my gluten-free stepdaughter hasn't complained so I am assuming that they are ok.

Michelle :)

#8 LuvMoosic4life

LuvMoosic4life

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 09:24 AM

I drink yogi teas w/o a problem.

#9 MarkLevy

MarkLevy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

does anyone know if the stash teas are truely gluten-free...Ive heard they (the tea companies in general..not necessarily stash) commonally use a glue to seal the tea bags and most of these glues are made from wheat. At first I thought this was too crazy to believe but after learning that the tequila I was drinking which I had no doubt in my mind was 100% pure, distilled and was the blanco or clear tequila (100% distilled from pure agave...no other ingredient besides water) which was causing me a severe gluten reaction was caused by the glue they used to seal the barrells the tequila was stored in. After learning this I figured nothing is too crazy to believe.

#10 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,148 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

Tea bags are not sealed with wheat glue. They are either stapled or pressure sealed. A wheat glue would be water soluble and the tea bag would fall apart.

Please note that product info on this thread is over 4 years old. Products change, so verify the ingredients before assuming they are the same.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#11 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

I buy from Teavana. I don't know if they are entirely gluten free, but I do know that I am not bothered by their teas. I buy from a local store but they can also be ordered online. I'm also as much of a tea snob as I am a chocolate snob I guess. :lol:

If you are into bags, they do sell bags as well as tea balls, and travel mugs that you can just steep right in. You can steep the same tea over and over and I keep swearing one day I'll have one of the travel mugs. All you have to do is refill with hot water all day and you have fresh tea again!

I also keep some Yogi teas around my house for when I am too lazy to to use my teapot. I will point out that I drink exclusively herbal teas that have no actual tea in them.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: