18 replies to this topic

#1 toddzgrrl02

toddzgrrl02

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 10:18 AM

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I was told Taco Bell has gluten-free items, and that things like tacos were ok... that is what my gluten-free sd gets. But when I was at the store and looked at Taco Bell taco seasoning for meat, it is def not something we can use... so do they use something different at the restaurant? Or is the meat not safe there?

Michelle :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GlutenGalAZ

GlutenGalAZ

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 10:41 AM

I have not had Taco Bell since before being gluten free.

On their website they have an allergens list as well and an ingredient list. Their season beef shows that it contains gluten.
With how much gluten food items they have at Taco Bell I would not even take the chance of getting the 2 items that they show not having gluten just because of CC issues. I am assuming b/c of food preperation and accidental dropping that meat drops into the rice possibly (assuming not for sure though) just like in the past (before gluten free) when I went to Subway you coule see olives in the pickles container and lettuce in the tomato contianer.

I have not looked into the Taco Bell items you can purchase in the store since gluten free mainly b/c my husband and I tried one packet years ago and did not care for the smell/taste. We just use McCormick Chili Powder, Tomato Sauce and Pepper to season our taco meat at home and Mission corn shells or tortillas.

Good Luck :)
Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007
Completely Gluten Free February 2008
Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008
No MSG July 2008
Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009
Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09

#3 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 12:17 PM

http://www.tacobell...._tb_fresco.html

Taco Bell has the least amount of safe foods than any other fast food places that I know of. Sorry.

Most fast food places have a listings of gluten free foods and their allergen statements on line.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:01 PM

People with celiac disease should just forget Taco Bell. They do tell you exactly what's in stuff, but we can eat almost none of it.

richard

#5 toddzgrrl02

toddzgrrl02

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 05:24 AM

I am surprised the meat has gluten in it, as my stepdaughter supposedly did research and found that the tacos are safe to eat and has eaten them. In fact, she ate them on her way to our house and hasn't seemed to have any adverse reaction that I am aware of. I kind of wondered though because my husband LOVES the TB meat seasoning packets in the store and said we can't use them because of the gluten. Hmmmm...

PS I have been to their site, which is why I asked... wanted to know if I had missed something.

Michelle :)

#6 Dolcenotte

Dolcenotte

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:51 AM

I dont know how true this is and I forgot where I heard it from but I heard that Taco Bell meat has a lot of filler in it and the filler is supposedly oats, so just from hearing that I stay away and like others said there arent many options for us anyhow.

#7 cruelshoes

cruelshoes

We've heard nothing at all about the growing tomato menace..

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:50 AM

Here is a complete ingredient list for Taco Bell foods. The vast majority of their menu is off limits. Even their taco shells have oat fiber in them. The seasoned meat is not safe either.

http://www.yum.com/n...t_statement.pdf

The Taco Bell products in the grocery store are marketed by Kraft Foods, which has a good labeling policy. Just read the label on those.

We haven't eaten at Taco Bell since we were diagnosed. My husband always called it Taco Hell anyway. :)
-Colleen
Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)
13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy
Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

#8 kbtoyssni

kbtoyssni

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:22 AM

I have heard nothing positive about Taco Bell when it comes to accommodating celiacs. It is one fast food restaurant I would recommend a celiac never eat at.
Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.
Peanut-Free since July 2006.

#9 home_based_mom

home_based_mom

Operation Christmas Child

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 12:08 PM

Here is an earlier thread about Taco Bell which should turn you off forever. :blink:

http://www.glutenfre...php/t36614.html

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .
"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)
The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

#10 Cath724

Cath724

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:17 PM

I used to love Taco Bell-- as a vegetarian, I could get lots of things with beans instead of the beef.
BUT as for gluten-free, it's much more limited-- Taco Bell's Food Allergies and Sensitivies list was last updated 6/08:

http://www.yum.com/n...allergen_tb.asp

Their ingredient list was updated 1/08:

http://www.yum.com/n...t_statement.pdf (clearly lists any item containg gluten).

But I've heard grumblings that these companies are "liars," so I plan to just call them up soon and speak to an actual person.

#11 Shelly D.

Shelly D.

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:53 PM

Being recently diagnosed and a chronic drive-through-for-something-quick person I just checked all the fast food places around my town (Jack in the Box, McD's, Arbys, KFC, Taco Time, Subway) and was shocked at the total lack of gluten-free options at TB. What was even worse was the gluten in the fries (or potatos) at many places including TB. I had hoped fries would be my safe haven in the event I got stuck at a fast food place with friends. The most depressing for me was the value tacos at Jack in the Box, every bit of the taco has gluten... :(
"AAARGH, it's drivin' me nuts"

Positive Ab. SIgA tests for milk, soy, egg, and gliandin July 9, 2008
Never cared for milk, and can't tolerate soy.
Gluten-free since July 9, still working on milk products and avoiding all of soy's many faces.
Diagnosed Celiac disease July 11, 2008
Added almonds and garlic to the list of intolerables Aug. 11

#12 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:44 PM

http://www.tacobell...._tb_fresco.html

Taco Bell has the least amount of safe foods than any other fast food places that I know of. Sorry.

Most fast food places have a listings of gluten free foods and their allergen statements on line.

Sorry MG, I have to disagree here. They have beans and crunchy tacos. The crunchy tacos have oat gluten, not wheat gluten, big difference. Yes, there is potential cross contamination issues with oats. But still, it's oat gluten, not wheat gluten. There is a huge difference.

Church's, Popeye's, KFC, Pizza Hut, Dominos, other pizza chains are fast food places that have even less choices.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#13 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:47 PM

Here is an earlier thread about Taco Bell which should turn you off forever. :blink:

http://www.glutenfre...php/t36614.html

Quite the contrary, didn't turn me off at all. Uninformed nonsense.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

#14 neesee

neesee

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:49 PM

I haven't been to a Taco Bell for well over 20 years. That's how much I trust the place.

neesee

#15 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:00 PM

Being recently diagnosed and a chronic drive-through-for-something-quick person I just checked all the fast food places around my town (Jack in the Box, McD's, Arbys, KFC, Taco Time, Subway) and was shocked at the total lack of gluten-free options at TB. What was even worse was the gluten in the fries (or potatos) at many places including TB. I had hoped fries would be my safe haven in the event I got stuck at a fast food place with friends. The most depressing for me was the value tacos at Jack in the Box, every bit of the taco has gluten... :(

How is TB more shocking than Arby's, KFC, Subway etc. ? Plus, I've never even noticed fries at TB.

Thank you however, for enlightening me on the wheat in Jack In The Box Taco's. I've eaten them for a long time with no ill effects. I had no idea they had wheat in them. Don't know what " every bit of the taco has gluten... " means, but I should probably give them up.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: