This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What's On The Menu These Days?

missy'smom

missy'smom Collaborator

I'm getting bored with the usual. I make 2 kid-friendly(casein-free) meals a day for 2 of us 'cause hubby doesn't make it home for dinner on weekdays. We're not big meat eaters and are getting tired of ham, hot dogs, and the usual ground beef dishes. I'm already looking forward to fall and cooler weather just so I can change the menu :lol:

So here's what we've been having.

hamburger steaks

porcupine meatballs

hardshell tacos

vietnamese spring rolls and fried rice

chicken nuggets

soboro(ground soy seasoned meat and scrambled eggs on rice)

broiled plain salmon and salad

We are going to try one new recipe this week for mexican rice and have BBQ chicken pizza with some leftover chicken.

What are you all having? whether kid friendly or not

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

Tonight it is Mahi Mahi. I put them in little tin foil packages. Let my daughter add the spices she likes...drizzle with olive oil. And I made roasted sweet potatoes and carrots. I put salt/pepper/garlic powder and a drizzle of olive oil on them and bake for 20 minutes...cut into slices. Yummy!

purple Community Regular

We had hamburgers tonite, a rare treat b/c we usually have elk tacos, nachos, lasagna, spaghetti, chili, etc.

This week :

chicken alfredo pizza, and bbq chicken pizza

spaghetti, mashed potatoes, peas, gluten-free french bread

salmon pot pies with lemon sauce, corn

apple pie with either vegan pumpkin ice cream or fresh peach ( for my daughter's 17th birthday ;) )

watermelon, honey dew, cantaloupe, fresh pineapple, cherries, kiwi, grapes, bananas, peaches

fried rice ? idk yet

oatmeal chocolate chip muffins for sure!

not sure yet what else or which days, then I plan to freeze some and send entrees (and those muffins :P )home with my oldest daughter to have at her apartment (she's the gluten-free one)

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

We had chicken fingers (I took chicken tenders, sprinkled seasoned salt on them, rolled them in gluten-free cornflake crumbs, sprayed with PAM, and baked at 400 degrees for 20 minutes) steamed broccoli (fresh from the farm market) and pineapple coconut rice (3 cups of minute rice, 1 cup pineapple juice, 1 can of coconut milk, 1 20-oz can of pineapple chunks, drained, and 1/2 cup chopped green onions).

If you have a crockpot, google "a year of crockpotting." The recipes are all gluten-free!!!!

missy'smom Collaborator

purple, what goes in the salmon pot pies? That sounds like an interesting and tasty variation.

amybeth Enthusiast

This week:

Lemon Butter Chicken w/ steamed broccoli

Pasta Bake (tinkyada, red pepper flakes, green pepper, minced garlic, pizza sauce, sausage, pepperoni and cheese)

Sweet and Sticky Pork Tenderloin (sauce is soy sauce, honey, brown sugar, hot sauce & cornstarch to thicken)

Chicken Parm (Bell and Evans chicken patty, sauce and cheese)

Taco night

missy'smom Collaborator

What do you all put on your BBQ chicken pizzas? Any special sauce that you like for it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

purple Community Regular
What do you all put on your BBQ chicken pizzas? Any special sauce that you like for it?

I will get back to you on the salmon pot pies. ;) (I'm in the middle of making them right now)

I use Kraft thick and spicy brown sugar bbq sauce, or any is fine. Use alot.

I sometimes add a few chopped peppers and onions (I sautee them first).

Mozzarella and a bit of cheddar.

I put the sauce on the crust and mix some with the chicken and spread the gooey mess onto the pizza with a fork or fingers. The smell baking is wonderful :P

I make extra and use for mini pot pies to throw in the freezer or to put on a bun.

I do the exact same thing with Bertolli alfredo sauce...so easy!

I just had a thought, bacon or beans would be good on the bbq chicken...need to try it soon.

purple Community Regular
purple, what goes in the salmon pot pies? That sounds like an interesting and tasty variation.

sorry for the long post.

I tend to not measure when I make salmon patties and add whatever I think of.

So this time I wrote down the way I made the little pot pies. They are time consuming. Because there is pie crust, you want the salmon moist. You will need a jumbo 6-cup muffin pan (I got mine from Fred Meyers) its not a regular sized cupcake pan.

Salmon Pot Pies

1 can salmon, drained and skin removed

1 cup milk

1 cup Rice Chex crumbs

1 egg

1/2 T. parsley.

1 T. diced onion or a green onion

1 T. ground flax

1/2 tsp. lemon pepper

dash of seasoned salt, opt.

1/2 tsp. dill

1 recipe Lemon Sauce (below)

1 recipe perfect pie crust from gluten-free Recipe Exchange

Mix together the first 10 ingredients. You need 3 cups of filling. Set aside or put in fridge until needed. Make the pie crust according to directions (I add 1 T. ground flax, use onion salt, and use 3/4 cup rice flour with 1/4 cup sorghum) Freeze 1 egg white for other baking and save one for brushing the pie tops. Divide dough into 6 equal balls. With each ball, pull off a piece the size of a large walnut(about 1/4 or so of the ball). Press each large ball into each jumbo cup and up the sides until it comes out the top. Fill cups with exactly 1/2 cup of salmon filling. Put 1 T. of lemon sauce on top. Pull crust towards the middle away from the pan edges.

Roll out small balls like the palm of your hand (I have a small hand), big enough to cover the pies with a little overhanging to tuck under. Top pies with top crust and gently tuck in between the crust and the pan. Try to seal with a knife by pressing the 2 crusts together.

Crimp each circle edge top with a fork against the pan. Poke the middle once with a fork to allow steam to escape.

Brush with egg white.

Bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes or until browned and bubbly.

Serve with remaining warmed lemon sauce.

Lemon Sauce

2 T. butter

4 tsp. gluten-free flour

3/4 cup milk

dash salt

1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

juice of 1 large lemon or use 2 T.

In small sauce pan, whip together all ingredients but the lemon juice. On med. heat, bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook for 2 minutes. Stir in lemon juice. Serve on top of hot salmon.

You could omit the pie crust and just put in any muffin cup pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes or until hot.

I started making mini pies for my college age daughter to microwave before I tried any kinds of bread/bun recipes. They work great for lunches or dinner and freeze well. I drop them in a baggie then a container, label and freeze. You need 3 cups of filling for 6 pies (1/2 cup each) and don't overfill. I sometimes make 12 pies at a time.

Flavors I have made:

Salmon

BBQ chicken

Chicken alfredo with mixed veggies

Cheeseburger (tastes like real cheeseburgers)

Italian-with Prego spaghetti sauce, cheese and adding my own meat

Chili and cheese, opt.

Breakfsat- ham or bacon, egg, cheese, onions and peppers

Ham, cheese and broccoli

Turkey or chicken pot pie- frozen mixed veggies, homemade cream of chicken soup

Blueberry-use regular salt and sprinkle tops with cinnamon -sugar (Wilderness brand pie filling only fills 5 pies so add an extra 1/2 cup of blueberries

Apple -homemade style with diced apples and cinnamon sugar on top.

Have yet to make cherry, pizza, beef stew, and mexican

missy'smom Collaborator

Wow, that sounds great. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

purple Community Regular

We had teenager company so I made several pizzas.

Chicken Alfredo

BBQ Chicken

Bacon, diced ham and fresh pineapple

Mexican-jalapeno flavored refried beans, salsa, monterey jack, cheddar, red/green peppers, onions and then topped it with fresh tomatoes, avocados and green onions

Gotta do those again :P

Juliebove Rising Star

Tonight I planeed to make BLTs but daughter pitched a fit and refused to eat them. Said she would eat only the bacon which is not enough for dinner. She wanted pancakes. I didn't want to make them. I used to make TONS of pancakes before our food allergies with no problem. But because I have to modify the recipe so much it just doesn't work. I had a few Ian's French Toast sticks left in the freezer and after some tears she finally agreed to have those with the bacon. I have a big bowl of fruit salad that I made yesterday and I told her to have some of that if she was still hungry.

Last night I made steaks and some garlic potato wedges that I got at Costco. I tried one wedge and didn't like it. Too much garlic for me. But I don't like garlic. Daughter and husband love it so I was hopeful, but daughter said there was too much garlic for her. :( It's such a big bag too!

The day before that I made faux Sukiyaki. I had the right meat but not the right veggies and I can't use soy sauce because of daughter's allergies. I added a little extra salt and a touch of molasses to the sauce. Used some rice vermicelli noodles that I had tried before and thought were flavorless. Husband said he didn't like it because it wasn't spicy. Daughter loved the stuff. I served hers in a fancy bowl with chopsticks. She had the leftovers for lunch the next day.

Another thing I've been making about once a week is chicken and apple sausages. I cut them in bite sized pieces and fry them with strips of pepper and onion and serve over rice. Daughter is getting sick of this but husband likes it.

One thing they both liked was chicken fried steak. It was very easy to do. I simpy floured some cube steaks and fried them. Used Bette Hagman's four flour blend. I had some allergen free pepper gravy mix that I mail ordered, but I have since found a recipe where I could make it from scratch. I used plain rice milk for the gravy.

I've made pizza a few times. I use Ener-G rice shells and either a rice cheese or a new (to me) allergen free faux mozzarella that tastes just like the real thing. I sometimes put pepperoni on daughter's.

We have pasta once a week with a meat sauce and some faux parmesan.

Once a week we have salad bar from Central Market. Daughter likes to choose her own foods. I also allow her to choose any safe foods from the cold food bar or the prepared food cause. She might get white rice, roasted potatoes, herbed chicken breast or lamb kebabs. Sometimes she will get some hummus and have it with gluten-free crackers.

At least once a month I make tuna casserole. I can't use the cream of mushroom soup, so I make my own using a combination of fresh and dried mushrooms, a bit of olive oil and if needed, a bit of rice milk. I usually add some onion and celery to this mix. I put the veggies in the food processor to make a thick paste then cook it down in a bit of oil, adding the rice milk if needed. It is then mixed with some Quinoa elbows, frozen or canned peas and baked. I serve with potato chips.

Spud Puppy casserole is another favorite. I start with some ground beef and canned grean beans. I then add a sauce like I would for the tuna casserole, or if I don't have those ingredients, a tomato based sauce. Sometimes I just make the mushroom sauce and add a bit of ketchup to it. I then top it with Spud Puppies and bake until they are golden brown and it is heated through. Sometimes I add rice cheese to this. Spud Puppies are like Tater Tots but are free of our allergens. You can also use frozen hash browns if you can't find these.

Southwestern hash is another favorite. Brown some ground beef, then add a package of Obrien potatoes. If you can't find these, use dices of potatoes, green and red peppers and onions. Cook until the potatoes begin to brown and add a jar of salsa and heat through.

I also make Spanish rice. I add ground beef to mine and often will add some corn and/or kidney or black beans to it.

I frequently make some kind of gravy and mashed potatoes. Either hambugurger or canned turkey or chicken. I use whatever broth matches the meat to mash the potatoes with and I add avocado oil and Smart Beat for a buttery flavor.

Chicken and noodles is another favorite. I often use canned chicken but will use fresh if I have it. I make some gravy for it and add carrots, peas, onions and celery. I use either the Fettucini noodles or broken lasanga noodles.

missy'smom Collaborator

Thanks Julie. It looks like my family's not the only one that's hard to find something that'll please everyone. Our BBQ chicken pizzas were a flop. The sauce we had at home was Amy's and didn't quite go flavor wise and the vegan mozarella didn't go either. For some reason, the kinnikinnick crust were not great either. They are so good when we make a traditional pizza. The overall combination was just yucky.

zip2play Apprentice

One of my faves is Amy's rice pizza with Cheese and then my husband doctors it up! Puts either sausage or hamburger on it with various veggies and then extra cheese! YUMMY I make sure he makes a normal pizza for everyone else that is just about the same to make sure my kids don't touch my pizza! LOL I like to take the extra for lunch the next day!

We also do grilled shrimp with Rice noodles, creamy sauce (which hubby makes with cream cheese, parm cheese and a little butter) and throw in a ton of veggies!

Monica

Juliebove Rising Star
Thanks Julie. It looks like my family's not the only one that's hard to find something that'll please everyone. Our BBQ chicken pizzas were a flop. The sauce we had at home was Amy's and didn't quite go flavor wise and the vegan mozarella didn't go either. For some reason, the kinnikinnick crust were not great either. They are so good when we make a traditional pizza. The overall combination was just yucky.

I don't usually have a lot of kitchen flops but I sure had one the day after Thanksgiving when I used a recipe of Rachel Ray's. This was before we knew of our food allergies. It was a Boboli pizza crust topped with a can of cranberry sauce, some kind of cheese (can't remember what kind) and leftover turkey. I must say it was one of the worst things I've ever tasted.

Archived