Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Breakfast Sausages?

19 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of a gluten-free breakfast sausage?

Thanks~

Ads by Google:

Johnsonville makes one, but I'm at work and don't have the details handy.

Johnsonville makes one, but I'm at work and don't have the details handy.

Hmm... I've never heard of that. Is it frozen, refrigerated or on the shelf (like the microwave bacon)?

Thanks~

AppleGate Farms has gluten-free breakfast sausages. I have only seen them at some Whole Foods.

Ok, well I'll have to make my way to Whole Foods at some point. I was hoping something mainstream was out there, but after looking at labels I was fairly certain there wasn't anything.

Thanks~

We use Whole Foods 365 links or Welshire Farms Patties. The ones that WF makes and sells in their case are often gluten-free. I also make my own with this recipe. http://www.recipezaar.com/86494

We use Whole Foods 365 links or Welshire Farms Patties. The ones that WF makes and sells in their case are often gluten-free. I also make my own with this recipe. http://www.recipezaar.com/86494

Ah, and I imagine the 365 ones are probably a little less expensive (?) I'll have to stock up once a month. WF is quite a ways from here.

www.johnsonville.com

I have not tried Johnsonville yet but have looked at their website the other week. They label their products gluten free if they are and you can also check them out on their website before heading to the store.

I have seen these at Smith's (same as Ralph's and Kroger) and also WalMart.

GOOD LUCK :)

www.johnsonville.com

I have not tried Johnsonville yet but have looked at their website the other week. They label their products gluten free if they are and you can also check them out on their website before heading to the store.

I have seen these at Smith's (same as Ralph's and Kroger) and also WalMart.

GOOD LUCK :)

Awesome, thanks! I go to Walmart almost every week, so that'll work nicely too.

We love Applegate and can get them at Sweetbay as well as WF.

Jennie-o! I love their turkey sausages. So do gluten-eating folks. Their packages have a gluten free symbol on them, even. The website homepage shows the gluten free symbol at the bottom. I just ate them yesterday!

Farmer Johns skinless links and patties are gluten free and nitrite free as well.

Try Jones Sausage (www.jonessausage.com)! Pretty much all their sausages are gluten-free - just not the maple flavored ones.

Happy eating!

Tam

Really, virtually all breakfast sausages are gluten-free. I grew up thinking manufacturers always put bread filler is sausage, hot dogs, hamburger patties, etc. Turns out it isn't true.

richard

Really, virtually all breakfast sausages are gluten-free. I grew up thinking manufacturers always put bread filler is sausage, hot dogs, hamburger patties, etc. Turns out it isn't true.

richard

You are right, definitely not always! But not never, either. For me, often enough to check labels or inquire at restaurants. Just Monday we had a lovely meal, restaurant had house-made charcuterie (meaning variety of fancy/expensive sausage) plate, it was *not* gluten-free. Another restaurant no more than 10 miles away has a plate that usually zero to one of the sausage items has gluten, and they can substitute.

Another case of,

"whatever the question, the answer is 'it depends'"

Just in case anyone is reading this thread in 2009 - I just got off of the phone with Jimmy Dean and the Pre-cooked Turkey sausage links that you can buy at Costco are not considered gluten free. They have caramel coloring and the person I spoke with said on this particular product they cannot find the source of the coloring so it could be barley. I ate these for a while and didn't feel great so I gave them a call. They also said that Sara Lee and Jimmy Deam will never hide gluten in "spices" or "flavors", for what it is worth. Jones sausage has a new "All Natural" sausage that even says Gluten Free on the box. No nitrates and it is about half the price of the Applegate Farms (which I love).

Good luck! :ph34r: