This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Coping With Diviticulitis Also

overthemoon

overthemoon Newbie

Does anyone have diviticulitis also? and how are you coping with a diet without bran and much fiber and one that requires bran and fiber?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CamiJ Newbie
Does anyone have diviticulitis also? and how are you coping with a diet without bran and much fiber and one that requires bran and fiber?

I have a gastric diverticulum - so not exactly diverticulitis. And, I haven't been given any treatment instructions yet (just found it last Thursday), but I do know a little about fiber. Beans have tons of fiber, and they're really nutritious and have lots of protein too. Brown rice has lots of fiber. Just because you can't have wheat doesn't mean that you can't have grains, right? Try quinoa (from a certified gluten-free source). Corn is pretty fibery (is that a word?). I found this on the NIH website (and omitted references to gluten-containing foods. There's quite a lot you can eat:

Amount of Fiber in Some Foods

Fruits

Apple, raw, with skin 1 medium = 3.3 grams

Peach, raw 1 medium = 1.5 grams

Pear, raw 1 medium = 5.1 grams

Tangerine, raw 1 medium = 1.9 grams

Vegetables

Asparagus, fresh, cooked 4 spears = 1.2 grams

Broccoli, fresh, cooked 1/2 cup = 2.6 grams

Brussels sprouts, fresh, cooked 1/2 cup = 2 grams

Cabbage, fresh, cooked 1/2 cup = 1.5 grams

Carrot, fresh, cooked 1/2 cup = 2.3 grams

Cauliflower, fresh, cooked 1/2 cup = 1.7 grams

Romaine lettuce 1 cup = 1.2 grams

Spinach, fresh, cooked 1/2 cup = 2.2 grams

Summer squash, cooked 1 cup = 2.5 grams

Tomato, raw 1 = 1 gram

Winter squash, cooked 1 cup = 5.7 grams

Starchy Vegetables

Baked beans, canned, plain 1/2 cup = 6.3 grams

Kidney beans, fresh, cooked 1/2 cup = 5.7 grams

Lima beans, fresh, cooked 1/2 cup = 6.6 grams

Potato, fresh, cooked 1 = 2.3 grams

Grains

Brown rice, cooked 1 cup = 3.5 grams

White rice, cooked 1 cup = 0.6 grams

-------

I hope that helps!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I have it. When I was diagnosed the diverticuli were the worst the doctor had ever seen and went throughout my entire intestines rather than just the usual left side. I get my fiber from fruits and veggies mostly, sweet potatoes are a great regulator, and gluten free helped a great deal with this condition for me. I had a scope at 5 years gluten free and the GI was amazed as most of the diverticuli were gone. You may find the diet itself gives a great deal of help, once your system gets rid of the offending gluten antibodies it can be surprising how many things improve.

Cami, great list. Make sure you check out the NIH household products database, it has a lot of nonfood sources of gluten also. Not all inclusive but not too bad either.

Archived