30 replies to this topic

#1 Karina

Karina

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 02:41 PM

This is in a lot of things, so it is important to know. Has anyone heard this is NOT always gluten-free? Someone told me today that they have a friend who cannot have citric acid as it is sometimes from a gluten-containing source. This was news to me. Anyone heard about this?
KARINA

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 02:55 PM

Citric acid is always fine.....

Maybe since this wasn't the actual celiac, but a friend, it was a different ingredient? If you check the ingredient list, too, citric acid won't be there. It's fine.

#3 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 03:46 PM

If you have trouble with citric acid it do not think it would not be a celiac issue because as celiac3270 said citric acid is fine. I've never heard of it being a problem in the US...outside of the US I'm not sure.Hope this helps you out a bit :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 04:03 PM

I've never heard of citric acid being a problem due to gluten.

It can sometimes be a problem for those who are CORN sensitive, because it can often be derived from corn.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#5 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 07:23 AM

I think outside the US citric acid is often derived from wheat (since corn is pretty much an American crop), so if the food was imported there might be a problem. I keep having problems with artichoke hearts imported from Spain--but I can't find any that are packed in the US to compare them with!

--Sarah
Sarah
gluten-free since November 1, 2003

#6 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 07:49 AM

I have never heard of it in the US being a problem, I wouldn't know outside the US of course...
Molly

#7 girlygirl

girlygirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 02:05 PM

As a matter of fact citric acid is a problem. Citric acid many times contains MSG which is off limits to many celiacs. MSGmyth.com and truthinlabeling.org are excellent sites that will give you a wealth of information on how msg is hidden in your foods. I recently had a rash that would not go away (good old comming back DH), I was very perplexed as to how I getting gluten since my diet has very little room for improvemnt. I found that citric acid was in my vitamins and calcium supplements. I found that the butter I porchased from Whole Foods (thier own brand) contained annatto. I also found out the the TAZO Zen tea I was drinking was not considered gluten free after calling the manufacturer to question what the spices on the label were all about. So unfortunately it gets very tricky these days!! :o

#8 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 06:58 AM

Once again, MSG is NOT off-limits to people with celiac. This is just flat-out wrong.

richard

#9 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:46 AM

Yes Richard again is correct. MSG is NOT off limits to celiacs. And I have never known citric acid to be a problem in the US.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

#10 2new2celiacs

2new2celiacs

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 03:47 PM

I would be very surprised if citric acid was truly harmful to celiacs. :huh: I am a Mountain Dew fanatic and it so happens to contain citric acid. Although, I know it is one of the worst sodas out there for my body's sake :( , I have never had any reaction what so ever. Also, my dietician made it very clear that this was indeed safe for me to consume.
Sarah
"Small Town" Minnesota, USA
Diag:9/04, positive blood tests
Trying to be strictly gluten-free

#11 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 04:14 PM

Citric acid is fine in the US and I have never had a reaction to anything with citric acid in it.
2new2celiacs-I'm a mountain dew fanatic too and I never had a reaction either and I am pretty sensitive now

MSG is fine in the US as well.

http://www.enabling....n/spnk9804.html

Here is a link that has a section near the bottom about MSG.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

"One Nation, Under God"

#12 Guest_gillian502_*

Guest_gillian502_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2005 - 06:48 PM

I also wanted to mention that as far as I know, Annato is also fine. I know there has been some dispute over annato in the past, but as far as I know it is now known to be ok. Am I wrong on this?

#13 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 06:50 PM

Annatto is gluten-free. No question.

richard

#14 girlygirl

girlygirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 06:27 AM

On celiac.com it is stated "Soy and Msg are examples of products that many celiacs have trouble with". I have been reading over and over again that MSG is a problem. Not only is it a problem for celiacs but it is a problem for many people. MSG is not in any way shape or form healthy. Just because something is gluten free doesn't mean that it is always healthy i.e. soda, ice cream,cake, cookies, candy bars, potato chips, etc....

On allergiesabout.com:

On celiac/gluten intolerance;

"Other key words to watch for are farina, flour, caramel coloring, enriched flour, cereal, malt flavoring and extracts, MSG, modified food starch, emulisfiers, stabilizers, distilled vinegar, semolina, durum and tritcale".

It seems like many celiacs are asking about some of these ingredients that I have responded to because they may have already had a reaction or suspected something about the additive. I know that NOT everyone will experience a reaction but to just plain say that MSG is not a problem for celiacs at all is not the case.

#15 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 06:32 AM

Wheat and gluten can be hidden under alot of things yes . MSG most of the time in the US is derived from corn and is therefore NOT off limits to celiacs.
MSG is bad for you altogether it is not healthy. It's not good for anyone but many celiacs are in fact fine with it because it is derived from corn. It can be derived from wheat and that is mostly seen outside of the US.

Soy is also fine for Celiacs unless you are allergic to soy.

Some people very well may have a problem with MSG but not all of celiacs do...as far as I know a majority actually don't have a reaction.

As for citric acid..this article has a bunch of ingredients..citric acid being listed as gluten free.

http://www.glutenfre...ingredients.htm
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

"One Nation, Under God"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: