This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Citric Acid

Karina

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

On many sites it says that Citric Acid is in fact safe at least in the US.

This is from a site I went to:

When citric acid is made in the United States, it is made from sugar cane, sugar beets or corn; however, when it is produced in China, it may be made from wheat.

I'm not sure about other countries because it did not say but I know in the US it is safe according to everything I have read. I have heard it can be derived from wheat in other countries though. When it is made in other countries then I would call and make sure unless the brand doesn't hide it.

Lynne Billington-If you need a good brand of jam...Smuckers will not hide gluten in their products.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

I read two threads on celiacforums (just after you mentioned it) discussing citric acid. The point they're making about citric acid in other countries is that it can be imported and used by companies in the US, even though it contains wheat.....I don't know how this all works or if the company has an obligation to mention that it contains wheat since all citric acid in the US doesn't, etc., etc.

Lynne, have you called the company to verify that the jelly really isn't gluten-free?

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I guess another thing to do is look and see where it was made. If it was made in the US it's safe otherwise it may or may not be safe.

celiac3270 Collaborator

If it really is a problem, that really complicates things--just one more ingredient we need to call about.... <_<

mommida Enthusiast

This is why being on a gluten free diet is more expensive for me. I will only by brand names that I trust. By that, I mean I can contact the company and get a clear answer. If the company says they can not be responsible for the companies they buy their ingredients from, it is not the company that deserves my business.

Laura

lcmcafee2 Newbie

FYI

In the book WHEAT-FREE RECIPES & MENUS by Carol Fenster, Ph.D. it states on page 244

"Citric Acid" This is always a suspicious ingredient since citric acid can be fermented from corn, beets, molasses, or wheat. While corn is the only source used by manufactures in the U.S., about 25% of the citric acid used in food and drink in the U.S. is imported from other countries and could contain wheat. By the way, Coke and Pepsi use corn in their citric acid."

• 14 years later...
dc3 Newbie
On 2/16/2005 at 9:27 AM, girlygirl said:

On celiac.com it is stated "Soy and Msg are examples of products that many celiacs have trouble with". I have been reading over and over again that MSG is a problem. Not only is it a problem for celiacs but it is a problem for many people. MSG is not in any way shape or form healthy. Just because something is gluten free doesn't mean that it is always healthy i.e. soda, ice cream,cake, cookies, candy bars, potato chips, etc....

On allergiesabout.com:

On celiac/gluten intolerance;

"Other key words to watch for are farina, flour, caramel coloring, enriched flour, cereal, malt flavoring and extracts, MSG, modified food starch, emulisfiers, stabilizers, distilled vinegar, semolina, durum and tritcale".

It seems like many celiacs are asking about some of these ingredients that I have responded to because they may have already had a reaction or suspected something about the additive. I know that NOT everyone will experience a reaction but to just plain say that MSG is not a problem for celiacs at all is not the case.

It is unfortunate that fear of soy has become so popular.  Check out the region around Okinawa, where soy is a foundational food and has been for centuries.  Note that this area is one of the World's green zones where people on average live the longest of all.  This is just one example of an area where soy has been used for a very long time with positive results, or I suppose it is more accurate to say without harmful results.  Of course it is different for those who are medically sensitive to soy derived products and must avoid them.  As for people with Celiac, one must always be aware of cross reactivity and periodic testing is a very good idea.  Celiac is sneaky that way.  For the rest of us, organic, unmodified soy is not only safe to eat, but is an excellent and inexpensive source for a multitude of nutrients.  Thank you for qualifying your statement about MSG.  Personally I tend to avoid additives like MSG that are not actually naturally occurring food, but I reserve any comment beyond my personal preference and will wait for the research to catch up.  I am encountering increasing evidence that you may be absolutely right about avoiding it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pikakegirl Enthusiast

After diagnosis and gluten-free diet I became intolerant of many foods and additives. Citric Acid and Ascorbic Acid cause a sharp kidney stone like pain in my lower right side. It took forever to figure out that is what the pain is from, I never had a problem with citrus or citric acid before. Wonder it is from over exposure in lifetime or how it is processed (what it is made from) My bloodwork for Celiac has never faltered since initial diagnosis. Neither has my CRP. Wonder if this is just me or other Celiacs.

PTArt Apprentice

Citric acid is also made from fermented mold, which you may be reacting to. I can’t tolerate it either.