This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cecelia's Gluten Free Shopping Guide Is Garbage!

souzahanson

souzahanson Apprentice

Cecelia's guide lists many types of Doritos as gluten free. How can a product be gluten free when MSG is listed as an ingredient?

I PLAN ON THROWING OUT MY GUIDE, UNLESS SOMEONE CAN EXPLAIN. AND IT'S NOT JUST DORITOS MANY OTHER PRODUCTS WITH GLUTEN ARE LISTED. COMPLETE GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

MSG is a source of concern to many people, and many people react to it. But is is NOT a source of gluten. Other than having the first four letters in common, there is no relationship between gluten and glutamate.

Glutamic acid (the salts of which are called glutamate) is an amino acid found embedded in most proteins. Hydrolyzed proteins have been partially broken down, and some of the glutamic acid is loose as free radicals.

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast

I have this book and I have found it helpful once in a while when I needed to check and see what brands I could use (and look at the ingredients still when purchasing). I don't use the book for items that I buy all the time just for new items -- more as a reference book. Some items there are sooooo many brands out there and at least this way I can look at the book and narrow down my choice.

In regards to the Dorritos. All of the Lays products you have a chance of CC. I stopped buying their chips in general b/c I was feeling sick a lot of the time. Some people have great luck with Lays brand and some don't.

The only thing I don't care for about the book is that A LOT of the brands in it are not carried around me and I don't really wanna drive over an hour away to get them.

I purchased it b/c I was wanting to cook more and with not knowing anyone else who can't eat gluten it was a nice reference for me when my husband and I wanted to try something new. We ALWAYS look at the ingredients label but it is nice to have -- especially on the weekends when you can't get through to anyone on the 800 line about a product.

Good Luck -- give the book little more time before tossing out :)

ShayFL Enthusiast

And sometimes you feel sick cuz Doritos are a fake food and full of chemicals. :o

home-based-mom Contributor
Cecelia's guide lists many types of Doritos as gluten free. How can a product be gluten free when MSG is listed as an ingredient?

I PLAN ON THROWING OUT MY GUIDE, UNLESS SOMEONE CAN EXPLAIN. AND IT'S NOT JUST DORITOS MANY OTHER PRODUCTS WITH GLUTEN ARE LISTED. COMPLETE GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris

Chris, it is not wise to call something garbage when your own lack of understanding is the problem. If you wanted to post that you didn't understand how the guide could say a product was gluten free when it contained MSG because you thought MSG was a source of gluten, that would be OK. Your post would be stating your concerns from your perspective rather than making mud slinging accusations.

Someone would soon be along to clear things up, as Peter did.

But to title your post that a publication is garbage, and then to emphasize that in your post could even considered libelous. I've never heard of this publication, but if Cecelia's publishers find this thread, they just might take offense. If I were you I would ask to have the thread removed and if you want the information to remain for others to learn from, re-post using wording that takes the perspective of what you don't (or at least didn't) understand, rather than making shoot-from-the-hip-ask-questions-later harsh accusations. :blink:

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

Another issue with publications is dating. By the time a publication is available... ingredients are changed within manufacturing practices and the publication is obsolete.

Regardless of what is listed in any publication, one should always read the ingredient label as they are holding the product.

And, I do agree... msg, while a huge problem for some, is not a source of gluten. However, because there IS msg in them, you surely won't catch me eating them, regardless.

souzahanson Apprentice

As to prevent any libelous issues I will state that it is "only my opinion".

But may I state another inclusion in the book.

Annie's Naturals salad dressing-Organic Papaya Poppy Seed. This product is in the book, states it's gluten free on the label. It also says "made on equipment that processes wheat". Sorry but for this reason it shouldn't be in the book. A new person to celiac would eat this product with even knowing. I know I bought it and ate it x1 till I realized it may in fact not be gluten free!

Chris

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast
As to prevent any libelous issues I will state that it is "only my opinion".

But may I state another inclusion in the book.

Annie's Naturals salad dressing-Organic Papaya Poppy Seed. This product is in the book, states it's gluten free on the label. It also says "made on equipment that processes wheat". Sorry but for this reason it shouldn't be in the book. A new person to celiac would eat this product with even knowing. I know I bought it and ate it x1 till I realized it may in fact not be gluten free!

Chris

There are soooo many things that state gluten free on them, that ALSO note made on equipment that processes wheat. This is a preference if someone wants to buy it. Some people are very sensitive and will not purchase items that say this on the label and some people will. I do with certain products but if I react then I stop buying it. I think it is great that a company would even state that.

This book in general has a website -- when they find out something is no longer gluten free they post it on the Product Alert Page for the book that you have.

Archived