Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Pregnancy After Bad Experience (w/ Celiac)

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

#1 MinRalph

MinRalph

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:15 PM

Hello everyone! I am new to the forrum and have a few questions.... I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease 5 years ago (when I was 18). My husband and I would like to get pregnant in the near future. This is a major step for me b/c we had a VERY bad experience with preggos about 2 years ago. I was on BC pills at the time and was completely surprised. I tested neg until I was 7 wks along and at that time I couldn't keep ANYTHING down. Everyone told me that was normal and would pass in a few weeks.....
It didn't. It only got owrse. They prescribed me Phenergan and B12 but it didn't help at all. I literally couldn't get out of bed. I ended up hospitalized at 4 1/2 months with a feeding tube, IV electrolites, an array of meds (all preggo safe) and was there almost 2 months. One night I started crashing and the next morning we found that I had lost the baby. It was coded a still birth and it took me several months to regain my strength again.
Basically, I'm very scared. I'm scared of getting sick like that again. We just recently had a misscaraige (about 4wks along) and I had an IUD (non-hormonal). That is out now, lol, obviously.....
OK... Sorry about the long winded post. I'm just nervous and hoping to find some info. Thanks!

~Melinda~

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ShayFL

ShayFL

ShayFL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:29 PM

Hi Melinda,

Having a baby is always a leap of faith. We never know what the outcome will be. Even if we did everything PERFECTLY things can still go wrong. And some women who do everything WRONG have perfectly healthy babies.

My suggestion would be to make sure you are 100% gluten free for a good 6 months to a year BEFORE you get pregnant. During that time eat the healthiest diet you can and take supplements to make sure your body is nutritionally ready to carry a baby to term.

You can get tests to find out any deficiencies you might have and really mega dose on those. Make sure a good well rounded multi and REALLY make sure that your iron is good.

Also get your Thyroid checked. If it isnt working right that can affect your ability to carry to term.

I wish you strength and courage. :)
GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

#3 MinRalph

MinRalph

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:24 AM

Hi Melinda,

Having a baby is always a leap of faith. We never know what the outcome will be. Even if we did everything PERFECTLY things can still go wrong. And some women who do everything WRONG have perfectly healthy babies.

My suggestion would be to make sure you are 100% gluten free for a good 6 months to a year BEFORE you get pregnant. During that time eat the healthiest diet you can and take supplements to make sure your body is nutritionally ready to carry a baby to term.

You can get tests to find out any deficiencies you might have and really mega dose on those. Make sure a good well rounded multi and REALLY make sure that your iron is good.

Also get your Thyroid checked. If it isnt working right that can affect your ability to carry to term.

I wish you strength and courage. :)

Thank you! I will get definately follow your advice :)
~Melinda~

Celiac: Diagnosed 2003

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: