29 replies to this topic

#1 stargirl

stargirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 06:47 PM

I was flipping through an article in the girl's magazine Teen Vogue written about Emmy Rossum. At one point in the interview they said,

"At tea, as Emmy guts a series of elegant little sandwiches (she eats only the insides since she's allergic to the gluten in the toast point), she . . ."

For those who don't know she is the young woman who played Christine in the movie version of "Phantom of the Opera" that came out this year. Sounds like she might have Celiac to me. I couldn't find a mention of it anywhere else but . . .
Inconclusive Blood Results, Positive Dietary Challenge Results
gluten-free since January 2004

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 07:21 PM

Oh my gosh! She ate the insides! After it touched the bread??!!? That would make me so sick she should have just ate the whole thing.

#3 stargirl

stargirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 07:55 PM

My thought exactly! If she really is a Celiac she must not be a very careful one.
Inconclusive Blood Results, Positive Dietary Challenge Results
gluten-free since January 2004

#4 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 05:58 AM

Wow that's pretty careless...If she really is a celiac I agree with you all she is a pretty careless one.
I'd be sick for about a week if I did that.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#5 phakephur

phakephur

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 07:47 AM

This kind of thing ticks me off. It misrepresents the practical reality of eating gluten free and makes those who adhere to the zero tolerance rule seem like picky paranoid crackpots. If it was as simple as peeling the skin off fried chicken or flicking the croutons off the salad, then half the sections in this forum would be unnecessary.

Sarah

#6 Thomas

Thomas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 11:25 AM

Who knows

#7 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 11:40 AM

So. . .we're the cool kids?

Lol, I think so.

#8 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 03:25 PM

Maybe they wrote it so strange that everybody should think, that she herself took the "insides" out of the sandwiches. Maybe they didn't even touch the sandwiches and were already separated?...

Stef
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

#9 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 04:29 PM

I don't know what's up with this, of course, but I find it upsetting that celiac is portrayed in such an inaccurate way--it's teaching people the wrong ideas about celiac and it might make it harder for people to believe you, since they've read an article about another "celiac" who can just pick the toppings out--I agree strongly with phakephur

#10 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 06:33 AM

"At tea, as Emmy guts a series of elegant little sandwiches (she eats only the insides since she's allergic to the gluten in the toast point), she . . ."

That is so wrong!
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#11 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 07:07 AM

Although, I guess one positive--sort of positive--is that celiac isn't mentioned directly, even though "gluten allergy" makes me think that's what they might be refering to. So if someone questioned your policies about gluten, having read the article, you could say that this person has an "allergy" -- of course, allergies can range in severity and with some, you can still eat something in small amounts, but only react if you have a great amount of it.

Celiac is different....every crumb matters. That's how you could explain it, I guess, even though she might actually have celiac.

P.S. Not belittling allergies :) , but just saying that they CAN range and some aren't very severe.

#12 kvogt

kvogt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 08:21 PM

Not everyone is as sensitive as some people report on this board. From my personal experience, small, occasional amounts of gluten cause me no reaction. I know someone who can tolerate a slice of bread. It's entirely possible for some people to pick out crutons or tolerate use of a gluten toaster or cook in a gluten pot. It's unfortunate for the very sensitive, but not out of the realm of reason.

#13 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 04:45 AM

But any crumbs would be enough to cause intestinal damage--whether or not they caused symptoms.

#14 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 05:59 AM

Whether or not you react to it is not the issue. Some people don't get symptoms. That person who can tolerate a whole piece of bread may not feel anything but he/she intestine is paying for it and will not get better with having that gluten. It's not a matter of how sensitive you are if it is not gluten free it WILL cause damage...even crumbs
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#15 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 06:38 PM

Hey guys,

I made a 4 our search on anything about Emmy Rossum and came up with absolutely nothing. Maybe she thinks, she's cool, if she acts like that and that's all. Or they just try to keep it a secret.

But instead of Emmy Rossum and celiac I came up with this from other famous people:

Joey C.: http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0127361/bio that was the guy who toured with Kid Rock
Keith Olbermann: http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0646021/bio
Sarah Vowell: http://us.imdb.com/name/nm1102970/bio

You can find these actors, when you search for them on that homepage, that pops up, when you click on the links above. I'm still looking for other actors or so. So maybe I can come up with more.

Stef
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: