This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Recipes With Rice Wraps

fatmom

fatmom Newbie

what do you do with the rice wraps? anyone have recipes for wraps a picky teenager might actually eat?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

I let me 12 yo fill them with whatever she likes. I keep little tins of salmon and tiny shrimp. She then adds shredded lettuce, carrots, etc. Avacado is good. Could do a tex mex wrap with beans, lettuce, salsa, etc.

Really anything can go in them. They dont have any flavor on their own.

You can even fry them and make them crispy after wrapped.

RissaRoo Enthusiast
what do you do with the rice wraps? anyone have recipes for wraps a picky teenager might actually eat?

Are you talking about rice flour tortillas, or the rice paper sort of Asian rice wraps? I've got ideas for both...

WendyG Explorer
Are you talking about rice flour tortillas, or the rice paper sort of Asian rice wraps? I've got ideas for both...

Hi,

I would love to hear your ideas for both!!!

Wendy

sickchick Community Regular

I've filled mine with anything from ground turkey, ground pork, baby shrimp, crab, you can add frozen peas & carrots, chop up some green onion, bean sprouts, bamboo shoots, I've used shredded coconut, just add things that are easy. You can add sesame oil, seeds, ginger, jalapeno (if you aren't nightshade intolerant) rice wine (depending on how elaborate you want to be) honey if you like it a little sweeter you could cut some baby corn...

It takes no time to cook a filling with fresh ingredients you can find at your grocery, just start throwing some things together! Make it fun :)

good luck

now I know what I am having for dinner LOL! :lol:

missy'smom Collaborator

For the clear asian rice papers, we fill them with plain rice noodles, baby salad greens mix, poached chicken and shrimp and maybe one or two leaves per roll of mint from the garden. Dip them in sweet ginger, chili sauce from The Ginger People brand.

mamatide Enthusiast
You can even fry them and make them crispy after wrapped.

REALLY??? How do you make them crispy??? Like, exactly how?

mamatide

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

fatmom Newbie

he didn't like the tortilla's - too dry. i never used the rice wraps so am looking for ideas. thanks

purple Community Regular

I have never bought/seen them before. Can you use them just like egg roll skins/wrappers? My daughter misses eggrolls. I always baked them with cabbage or coleslaw blend, chicken or pork, bean sprouts, water chestnuts, garlic and green onions. Has anyone tried to make egg roll skins from scratch with egg, gluten-free flour and water and whatever else like xanthan gum??? Also what size are the rice papers? Thanks!

sickchick Community Regular

Soak the rice paper wrappers in warm water for 10 seconds, set on a flat serface and let soften

Fill along the middle, fold each side over to the edge of the filling, fold the bottom up and roll once.

Yes they CAN be deep fried like an egg roll.

:)

purple Community Regular
Soak the rice paper wrappers in warm water for 10 seconds, set on a flat serface and let soften

Fill along the middle, fold each side over to the edge of the filling, fold the bottom up and roll once.

Yes they CAN be deep fried like an egg roll.

:)

goody...gotta get em :D

RissaRoo Enthusiast

some ideas: chopped cabbage, tiny shrimp, chopped green onion tossed in chili sauce (Taste of Thai and Taste of Asia are gluten-free--are were, last time I checked). Roll them up around the filling.

Boiled chicken breast, softened rice noodles, chopped water chestnut, green onion, a little cabbage and ground peanuts, with peanut sauce (peanut butter, gluten free soy sauce, sesame oil, a little vinegar, and some gluten-free chili sauce) Roll them up and dip them in extra sauce

cooked ground chicken, chopped water chestnuts, green onion, soy sauce (gluten-free), chopped mushrooms, chopped asparagus, and bamboo shoots. Serve it in a bowl with softened rice wraps to wrap it in, everyone can spoon a little in a wrap and eat it one at a time. Serve chili sauce, peanut sauce, and plum sauce (can't remember what brand) on the side.

I have never fried them, but I know you can. It would be great to have a 'real' spring roll that's crispy on the outside!

Archived