Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

How Long Does It Take To React To Gluten?

• Please log in to reply

12 replies to this topic

#1 CCR

CCR

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 08:00 AM

I had the weirdest experience yesterday. I have never had a reaction to gluten but was diagnosed celiac by biopsy, so I have been gluten free for about a month. Yesterday, I ate a gluten-free breakfast and a gluten-free lunch (both in the safety of my home and my husband ate the same food and was fine...he's not celiac), then made gluten-free cookies for a barbecue. Got to the barbecue and spent the next hour…ahem…indisposed. I hadn’t eaten any food there at all. And it had been hours since my lunch.

Is it possible to not react to gluten for 4-6 hours after ingesting it? I am wondering if I accidentally glutened myself with my old cookie sheets or with my mixer (though I really cleaned it before I used it). I did eat a few cookies while baking them. I really doubt it was the Lipton Iced Tea I drank at the party just before I got sick. Maybe it was Nestea. I have to google both of those and check.

I have heard that even people who never reacted to gluten before can start reacting once they have been gluten-free for a while but this really surprised me. I didn’t dare eat a thing until I got home at midnight and even then I just had a banana. I’m fine today. So far.

I guess it’s possible that my sick spell had nothing to do with celiac at all…maybe I had a 60 minute bug! But that seems like wishful thinking.

Any thoughts on the above would be most welcome.

Carin
diagnosed 6/08 by biopsy
son diagnosed 7/08 by biopsy
niece diagnosed 10/08 by biopsy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 BallardWA

BallardWA

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 08:27 AM

Hi Carin, and welcome.
I'm sure there will be many more experienced replies to your post, as I am newly diagnosed. It generally takes me 12-24 hours to experience a reaction to gluten. Yes, it could have been your cookie sheets - I now line mine with foil. If I have a major glutening, like say from a clueless restaurant, it can take me 7-10 days to recover.
Good luck on your journey to health, I'm feeling better every day.
Best,
Karen

#3 utahlaura

utahlaura

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:02 AM

For some reason right now it takes me almost exactly 20 minutes to react to gluten.
I'm new, and it's all been so freakin' much.

#4 loco_ladi

loco_ladi

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:40 AM

With me its anywhere from 15- 30 minutes before "I know" then spend the next week wishing I were dead.
Just my .00000002 cents worth
If I knew what I was doing years ago I would have half a clue today!

#5 celiacsista

celiacsista

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:46 AM

For me I know in about and hour to two hours. Then look out! Projectile vomit style.
Gluten Free since April 2007

#6 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:51 AM

I know after about 2-3 hours. Some react right away and others will not react for 24 hours or more.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#7 JayinUT

JayinUT

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:05 PM

I know after about 2-3 hours. Some react right away and others will not react for 24 hours or more.

I'm one that reacts right away, within 20 to 30 minutes. Then when I'm done in the bathroom I need to lay down for some time. I find a nap has always helped.

Being new to this (3 weeks in) I've noticed this week that I've had more issues with certain foods that are gluten free (tomatoes are the big one). Is it possible I just don't have a tolerance for them and thus I suffer since not enough time has gone by to heal the villa?

#8 loco_ladi

loco_ladi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:17 PM

I'm one that reacts right away, within 20 to 30 minutes. Then when I'm done in the bathroom I need to lay down for some time. I find a nap has always helped.

Being new to this (3 weeks in) I've noticed this week that I've had more issues with certain foods that are gluten free (tomatoes are the big one). Is it possible I just don't have a tolerance for them and thus I suffer since not enough time has gone by to heal the villa?

My officially diagnosed cousin has issues with tomatoes I so far do not but it was one other thing I was very cautious about at the begining and still use sparingly now, my cousin doesn't touch tomatoes.
Just my .00000002 cents worth
If I knew what I was doing years ago I would have half a clue today!

#9 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:17 PM

I don't mean to undercut people BUT...

In the interests of you being well....

How long people take to 'react' is based on at least two things...

1) Identifying the reaction ...
This sounds simple, it's not... it takes experience... just like riding a bike.
There really is a feeling.... BUT it takes experience to get used to it.. not being smart..not being a MD etc. it's just a feeling... and it is pretty distinctive and it's identification is largely based on experience.

2) Different people take different times to react anyway... but ... the actual identification of the 'feeling' generally gets shorter and shorter as you're experience increases BUT this feeling is often not in the gut (in the literal sense).

The longer answer : There is more to celiac disease than the 'inconvenience' of diarrhea .... you should satisfy yourself of this and search this forum for brain fog.... peripheral neuropathy.... sometimes, some of us will get a reaction not in the gut if we consume a tiny tiny amount or perhaps preceding the reaction in the gut.

Most people get more sensitive as they are gluten-free.
The better you are doing gluten-free .. well the more sensitive but this is an indication you are doing well!
Remember the damage is not the D... its lots of far more serious complications...

Imagine a 60 a day smoker... anyone else would be seriously ill smoking 60 cigarettes in a day.... or a seasoned drinker drinking 2 bottles of Vodka at breakfast ... just because we feel 'normal' doesn't mean it's not doing harm.
If a 60 a day smoker gives up for a certain time and smoked 60 cigarettes they would vomit way before the 60 ..... long enojgh and it would be 5.... etc.
Gluten is like this, the body gets used to dealing with the toxin.... even though it is doing damage we feel 'normal'... BUT just like the 60 a day smoker... normal isn't really normal...
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

#10 CCR

CCR

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:38 PM

I have found everyone's contributions to this topic to be very helpful. Thank you for sharing your personal experiences. I am figuring out how I react as I go along. Now that I have had (I think) my first reaction to gluten, I am feeling very gun shy about any ingredient I can't identify. I'm sure I will gain confidence as I go on from here.

It's nice to know that having that reaction could mean I'm healing and doing better! I am looking forward to having bloodwork in about 8 weeks and seeing if my anemia is improving.

In the meantime, I rely so much on the kindness of strangers! Thanks!
diagnosed 6/08 by biopsy
son diagnosed 7/08 by biopsy
niece diagnosed 10/08 by biopsy

#11 A-Swiss

A-Swiss

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 11:03 AM

Though it seems you got a good mix of answers, my take is a little different. I was diagnosed 3 months ago and went 100% gluten free right away (didn't wait, just jumped in - the pain was way too strong). When I get glutened, it usually takes about 6 hours and I feel heavy pressure in my gut and needle like pain for about 3-4 days. I think we all have it differently. Frankly, I have been stabbed twice and didn't go the hostipital on the second one - so I really don't get bothered by pain. However, I notice the gluten reaction and I would rather take a knife!
A Good Friend can keep a secret. A Best Friend will help you bury the bodies.

#12 ChristinaKs

ChristinaKs

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 08:24 PM

You know, I'm new to this too. I haven't even been diagnosed, but I noticed I felt so much better with no gluten. I'm about three weeks in, I've had a few mishaps. My reactions can be anywhere from 20-30 minutes to 24 hours. I've noticed I have had problems with things with seeds since I've cut the gluten out. And I was wondering the same thing about the villi not having enough time to heal.

Christina

#13 zip2play

zip2play

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 12:49 PM

Mine depends on what it is. When I inhale raw flour or such, it is almost immediate. I wear a surgical mask when I am baking for my kids functions and such. But if it is a more cooked form, it can take 24 - 48 hours.

Hope things improve for you soon!

Monica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: