25 replies to this topic

#1 ebrbetty

ebrbetty

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 03:40 PM

Hi everyone, My hubby wants to take me to PF Changs...I was looking at the gluten-free menu and have no idea what I would order, I can't eat spicy foods..If you've been there, what's good?

Thanks!
~Betty

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:14 PM

There are several things that are not spicy. I don't remember the correct names for the dishes but this is what I get, the lettuce wraps with ground soy flavor chicken and veg. mixture and the Cantonese scallops and shrimp and snow peas. On the menu it says shrimp OR scallops I think, but I ask them to give me both mixed. I also get the shrimp in lobster sauce. None of these have any spice at all.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#3 Worriedwife

Worriedwife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:34 PM

The shrimp in lobster suace is VERY good. Also, if you can afford the calories, the dessert is really great!

#4 SacGFGirl

SacGFGirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:17 PM

Hi everyone, My hubby wants to take me to PF Changs...I was looking at the gluten-free menu and have no idea what I would order, I can't eat spicy foods..If you've been there, what's good?

Thanks!

I love going to Pf Changs! The Cantonese Shrimp or Scallops are quite delicious, and very mellow in flavor. Also the Singapore street noodles are very good, but my and all of my friends' absolute favorite is Chang's Spicy Chicken, and you can actually ask them to mellow out the flavor. I've never made it to dessert but I hear the flour-less cake is to die for.
Sacramento, CA

Rheumatoid Arthritis since 1986
Gluten Free since 2005

#5 ebrbetty

ebrbetty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 07:00 AM

wow everything sounds so good, thanks for the help...we will be going to the one in Natick ma. I was told on another board to make reservations, is that really needed for a late lunch? also that to avoid problems with the gluten-free food to call ahead, then ask for the manager when I get there?
I just wanted to go have a nice safe meal..ask for the gluten-free menu and order.
~Betty

#6 wolfie

wolfie

Kim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 07:53 AM

Philip's Better Lemon Chicken and the Ginger Chicken w/Broccoli (or something like that) are both very good and mild. They have an amazing dessert too...the chocolate dome. DS goes crazy for it!

Have a nice dinner!
Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm
but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06
gluten-free since 1/12/06
Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)
Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006
gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)
HLA-DQ2 positive
Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times
Still eating gluten for now.

#7 SacGFGirl

SacGFGirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 09:03 AM

wow everything sounds so good, thanks for the help...we will be going to the one in Natick ma. I was told on another board to make reservations, is that really needed for a late lunch? also that to avoid problems with the gluten-free food to call ahead, then ask for the manager when I get there?
I just wanted to go have a nice safe meal..ask for the gluten-free menu and order.

Don't worry about reservations...they don't take them unless you have a group of 8 or more. And I've never found the need to call ahead. The places that have a official printed menu at the restaurant (Outback Steakhouse has one too) have to be more knowledgeable to answer questions about their menu just like they would for a regular menu. For the places that don't have an official gluten-free menu on site but you've contacted their corporate office, those places I would call ahead of time. Enjoy your lunch!
Sacramento, CA

Rheumatoid Arthritis since 1986
Gluten Free since 2005

#8 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:59 AM

Thanks!

I recently went to P.F. Chang's and, quite frankly, am surprised that so many think their food good. It's just OK but I am also a member of a dining club that goes to very high end restaurants so maybe that's why I was underwhelmed with Chang's. The higher end places do much better with getting a meal right, including CC, because the chef's will have gone to culinary school.....they know what gluten is, where it hides and how to NOT CC.

The lettuce wraps were OK but a few hours later, I was guzzling tons of water. They put a a lot of salt in their food, probably from the soy sauce and I don't eat much salty food. I must have drunk a gallon of water trying to quench my thirst. I won't eat that again. As for the main course, I can't even remember what I ordered because it was that unimpressive. I think it's all perspective. I never went to fast food places before I was diagnosed so never developed a taste for it.
P.F. Chang's is not a high end restaurant and I found their food on the bland side, except for the load of salt. If you are used to eating salt, then you probably won't even notice it.

The dessert they have was another disappointment. The chocolate dome cake is just a lump of chocolate, like fudge, that is served cold. I had a lava chocolate cake at a great restaurant near me, from a gluten-free menu, that was served warm with a scoop of coconut ice cream. After that, nothing else came close.

I know many like the place but I live in an area with a load of fantastic restaurants that cater to Celiacs and all the other places are better than Chang's.

#9 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:05 AM

I just realized that you will be going to the one in Natick...that's where I ate. We apparently live near to each other. You can give it a try but I won't be eating there again. If you want a listing of some of the other places I go to, let me know. There are many places in Mass. and R.I. that are awesome!

#10 elonwy

elonwy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:06 AM

They served you the dessert cold? ew. They always serve it to me warm. I agree that there food isn't the greatest ever (the fat and calorie content is totally out of control) but it does in a pinch to go to a place that all my friends can afford and that is as safe as it gets without being 100% gluten-free. Of all the chains out there with gluten-free menus, PF Changs is the only one with a consistent level of training on the gluten-free menu and the issues involved that I have found. Every PF Changs I have been to, everyone knew what I was talking about as soon as I asked. You still have to be relatively vigilant, as I accidentally got served the wrong tables' food once, but I eat there knowing that they used different pans, different sauces, etc to make my food. Its also the only place with a gluten-free menu that hasn't accidentally made me sick. I'd love to eat to the level of my palate (my mom was a chef in a 4-star restaurant when I was growing up), but until I have the $$, PF Chang's does nicely in a pinch.
Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05
Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05
gluten-free since 7/23/05
Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

#11 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 12:21 PM

They served you the dessert cold? ew. They always serve it to me warm. I agree that there food isn't the greatest ever (the fat and calorie content is totally out of control) but it does in a pinch to go to a place that all my friends can afford and that is as safe as it gets without being 100% gluten-free. Of all the chains out there with gluten-free menus, PF Changs is the only one with a consistent level of training on the gluten-free menu and the issues involved that I have found. Every PF Changs I have been to, everyone knew what I was talking about as soon as I asked. You still have to be relatively vigilant, as I accidentally got served the wrong tables' food once, but I eat there knowing that they used different pans, different sauces, etc to make my food. Its also the only place with a gluten-free menu that hasn't accidentally made me sick. I'd love to eat to the level of my palate (my mom was a chef in a 4-star restaurant when I was growing up), but until I have the $$, PF Chang's does nicely in a pinch.

I totally understand what you are saying about the training aspect but I was miffed that it was such an underwhelming experience, especially when many people rave about the place. I have found that most of the chains just do not impress me but at least they know what gluten is. I have also had bad experiences at Outback's and don't bother with them anymore. As for the chocolate dome thing, I KNEW something was amiss when I was served a lump of cold chocolate! <_< I kept thinking why everyone thought this was a dessert to die for. Chocolate cake isn't good unless it's warm and gooey!

The upscale restaurant advice was just to give some people another angle. I only go to these places a couple of times per year because they cost so much more but they are special occasion places and a trained chef, as you obviously know, is well versed in gluten and CC. Those line chefs at most restaurants that cater to the masses do not, for the most part, know that much about food, other than to cook it a certain way. Their training is very limited so is more of a risk. I dine out once a month only, at my favorite gluten-free places, so have more money to spend at the pricey places. Most people go out to eat about twice per week, sometimes more, and that really adds up fast. I am lucky to live in an area where gluten-free dining is becoming the norm at many restaurants so I can't complain. We even have bakeries and pizza parlors that cater to Celiacs and most are very good. Maybe Chang's would do better in future but they have to cut down on the amount of salt they use.....that really ruined it.

#12 elonwy

elonwy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 12:36 PM

I agree with you on everything except the training aspect at PF Changs. I have had some in depth conversations with two separate managers, one in LA, and one up here in Emeryville, and the training they get on Gluten Free is really astounding considering that they are a national chain. From the information I received, several people high up in the organization either have celiac or spouses/children with it, and they are one of those brands that keep strict control over their branches (ie: the same ingredients are used in every single restaurant).
That being said, yes, too fatty, too salty, but I know that going in. Also, the pear mojito is excellent, for those who drink.

PS: The fortune cookie they bring you at the end... not gluten-free. I break it in the bag and read it through the plastic :P
Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05
Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05
gluten-free since 7/23/05
Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

#13 babysteps

babysteps

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:44 PM

I just realized that you will be going to the one in Natick...that's where I ate. We apparently live near to each other. You can give it a try but I won't be eating there again. If you want a listing of some of the other places I go to, let me know. There are many places in Mass. and R.I. that are awesome!

Hey Gemini, I'd love it if you would post your 'awesome' places in Mass & RI for all to review! Especially since it sounds like you have a great palate. Plus there are probably 1,000's of celiacs who drive past there every month whether they live there or not!

One of my college roommates is about to host a friend who is gluten-free and vegetarian, I helped her find some recommendations around Hartford from this site - was very helpful to have places already posted :)
gluten-free (except unintentionally) from 7 Dec 2007
3 gluten-free cousins and counting (1 gold standard, 1 pos blood/no endo, 1 self/dietary diagnosed)
suspect mother was celiac (also, cousin suspects my mother's twin is celiac)

Feb 08 testing 'normal range' for gluten antibodies, IBD and food allergies
Staying off gluten - dietary reaction is compelling for me!

"Hi, I'm the gluten-free diner at your table."

#14 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:14 PM

Hey Gemini, I'd love it if you would post your 'awesome' places in Mass & RI for all to review! Especially since it sounds like you have a great palate. Plus there are probably 1,000's of celiacs who drive past there every month whether they live there or not!

One of my college roommates is about to host a friend who is gluten-free and vegetarian, I helped her find some recommendations around Hartford from this site - was very helpful to have places already posted :)

I will get my list together and post. The gluten-free dining group I belong to is out of R.I. so many places are northern R.I. and southern Mass. As a matter of fact, the next month's gathering is for gluten-free Indian, just outside of Pawtucket, R.I. I was very surprised at how many places offer up a gluten-free menu....they realize it's an untapped market that is very lucrative. Give me a day or so!

#15 tiffjake

tiffjake

Life is good....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:22 PM

I LOVE PF Changs! I get the Chang's Spicey Chicken with NO Chili paste and no chili flakes (ie-no spice) and it is GOOD!
EnteroLab test positive for gluten intolerence and 2 gluten intolerence and celiac genes
DQ2 and DQ3 sub type DQ7 in December 2005
Gluten-free since Enterolab test, December 2, 2005.

Lame Advertisement Test positive for gluten intolerence in Sept 2005.
THEN found out that my fathers mother had nontropical sprue, she passed away at 40 from (stomach) cancer, had holes in her intestines when they caught it. I had no idea....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: