39 replies to this topic

#16 Live2BWell

Live2BWell

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:21 AM

I am sure they are not meaning to be insensitive, even though they are coming across as it. Just stand your ground, it's up to you to set the boundary with them, and it's up to them to respect the boundary.. You also have the choice to associate with them or not if they keep teasing you.

Hang in there (( Hugs ))

*Jessica*
IgG + IgA + TtG -
Family History of Celiac
See 'about me' for more info
gluten-free Since: 11/02/08

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 nikky

nikky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:35 AM

I am sure they are not meaning to be insensitive, even though they are coming across as it. Just stand your ground, it's up to you to set the boundary with them, and it's up to them to respect the boundary.. You also have the choice to associate with them or not if they keep teasing you.

Hang in there (( Hugs ))

Im not the best person in the world at being firm, im too scared to hurt people, but i will definatly take your advice and tell them to drop it

"great works are performed not by strength but by perseverence"

Diagnosed coeliac - aged 14

Asthma

Osteopinia

High blood calcium

Crohn's disease -december 2012 

#18 S_J_L

S_J_L

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 03:25 PM

Your weight seems fine to me. I know how you feel, im 20 now but at high school people were always asking my sister if i was anorexic. Once on the bus this boy shouted 'look at that girl,shes anorexic, shes guna die'. Ive had lots of other comments too. I kept going to the doctors but they didnt know why i wasnt putting weight on. In my 1st year of university i went to a dietician who said its probably genetic. A couple of months ago i was diagnosed with celiacs, and went to another dietican. The 1st dietican couldnt figure out what was wrong with me so she wrote on my medical records 'suspected eating disorder'. Im soooo angry!!
The celiacs explains it, my tissue transglutaminase was 164! so my bowel must be quite damaged, and my body in starvation. biopsy was positive too.
Im slowly putting the weight on now but have alot of work to go as im 5'8 and 103pounds.

Goodluck
sarah

#19 nikky

nikky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:39 AM

Your weight seems fine to me. I know how you feel, im 20 now but at high school people were always asking my sister if i was anorexic. Once on the bus this boy shouted 'look at that girl,shes anorexic, shes guna die'. Ive had lots of other comments too. I kept going to the doctors but they didnt know why i wasnt putting weight on. In my 1st year of university i went to a dietician who said its probably genetic. A couple of months ago i was diagnosed with celiacs, and went to another dietican. The 1st dietican couldnt figure out what was wrong with me so she wrote on my medical records 'suspected eating disorder'. Im soooo angry!!
The celiacs explains it, my tissue transglutaminase was 164! so my bowel must be quite damaged, and my body in starvation. biopsy was positive too.
Im slowly putting the weight on now but have alot of work to go as im 5'8 and 103pounds.

Goodluck
sarah

wow im sorry, my TTG (Tissue TransgluTaminase) was off the scale. In the UK the test only goes up to 200 and mine was over that. But my biopsy was negative. Luckily my doctors and dietitian do recognise that im a healthy weight, its just my so-called freinds that dont. Thankyou.

Asthma

Osteopinia

High blood calcium

#20 Crimson

Crimson

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 05:23 AM

They say that to make an excuse for why they are so much larger. Has anyone else noticed how fat kids are getting?
It's disturbing!

You're likely eating much healthier than most of the people around you...more natural and more like what people are made to eat. The "food" that these kids are eating is NOT food. It's a food like substance. And it's obviously doing them any good.
Keep in mind, that though you have an illness now, because you are eating healthier foods, you will be healthier in the long run.
I'm the same height and weight as you 5ft 4 and 115, I get similar comments all the time. Usually from those that are larger (or even obese). I don't think they say these things to hurt you rather than to make themselves feel better.

I'm actually thankful that I'm intolerant to most of the foods that make these people obese.
I think it's a blessing in disguise.
4/30/2008 Went Gluten Free
Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0202

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,7)

3/19/2009 11 Months Gluten Free:Gluten Sensitivity Stool Test
Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA 21 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

#21 raen

raen

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:52 PM

ive been called anorexic All my life. once in a middle school health class, the teacher used me as an example of "what anorexic girls may look like" - im 153 cms and 6 or 7 stones (im american, so i forget the exact stone number)

now, i have a cure! im a very tense person and it doesn't take much to make me feel vengeful, and theyre always so shocked i insulted them right back that they walk away speechless. if a rude/jealous girl asks "are your like anorexic?" i respond "no, your just a lardbutt." it works for anyone though - just last week a guy walking by said "thats the skinniest girl ive ever seen!" and i yelled back "says the wigger!" (he was very white and dressed very wannabe-gangster with his pants half around his legs). the person walking with me burst out laughing.

maybe politely say something along the lines of "im skinny because i have celiac disease, it effects my ability to absorb nutrients, and you hurt my feelings when you say things like that" - it makes them feel bad for insulting you rather than feel insulted themselves, and they're likely to stick up for you when someone else labels you that way then.

PS : i also asked my doctor naggingly, all my life, "are you sure i weigh enough to be healthy?" and indeed i did, too.

#22 nikky

nikky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:42 AM

Thank you to everyone who has replied

Asthma

Osteopinia

High blood calcium

#23 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:00 PM

O man do I know how you feel. I am between 5'3 and 5'4 and when I was healthy I was 114 and then when I got sick I went down to like 83 pounds and people kept making comments and doctors even asked me if I was anorexic and I absolutely hated it. I had tons of anxiety due to what I have been through and so I would not eat alot or in front of people because I was afraid of getting sick because everything used to make me sick so I decided I guess not to eat. Anyhow to make a long story short I am about 125 now and I have a healthy appetite because the doctors actually put me on an anti anxiety med that helps increase weight. You know I am not a big fan of meds but when you are so thin like I was, it's a last option. Anyhow, just try not to let it get to you...I know it is harder than it seems cuz I was there and those comments hurt because you feel like you can't help it but you know what..it WILL get better. And being gluten free for a while did help me gain weight back too. Just hang in there

PS...I don't think your weight seems that bad to me..that is actually a pretty good weight for your size if you ask me. Maybe they are just jealous ;)
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#24 dally099

dally099

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:02 PM

hi niki, im 5'4" and 108lbs, at the height of skinniness due to the celiac i was 95lbs so i would say that you are very healthy. r there any groups in your area for celiacs to go to for support with some kids your own age maybe? i only hope with time that your friends will change there attitude and remember your not in high school forever!

Nadine
mom of 4 great kids - 2 diagnosed with autism and 2 typical kids (thank goodness)
all this started after my hysterectomy in March of 2006
G.F. since Feb 2007
Soy free since April 2007
Blood work was negatvie (after 2 weeks of being on the gluten-free diet)

entrolab results:
Antigliadin 9 (normal <10)
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 - 0302
HLA-DQB2 Allele 2 - 0502
HLA-DQ 3,1 (subtype 8,5)
carrying one celiac gene and one gluten intolerant gene
nurse at entrolab figures i caught this early and dont eat gluten anymore

life is like a box of chocolates;sometimes you get stuck with the yukky coconut fillet one

#25 kbtoyssni

kbtoyssni

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:04 PM

I think most would be genuinely concerned about your health. It's an awkward and sensitive topic to bring up. I would reply something along the lines of "no, but I do have other serious medical conditions that affect my weight, and I am conscious of (or working towards) my health".

For the people who are joking around - that makes me mad. You don't joke about a serious mental illness. Do they think making fun of you would help things if you were anorexic???
Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.
Peanut-Free since July 2006.

#26 nikky

nikky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:12 PM

hi niki, im 5'4" and 108lbs, at the height of skinniness due to the celiac i was 95lbs so i would say that you are very healthy. r there any groups in your area for celiacs to go to for support with some kids your own age maybe? i only hope with time that your friends will change there attitude and remember your not in high school forever!

Thankyou, there are no suport groups for teens in my area, the only one we can find is for adults and is a long while away

Asthma

Osteopinia

High blood calcium

#27 nikky

nikky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:18 PM

I think most would be genuinely concerned about your health. It's an awkward and sensitive topic to bring up. I would reply something along the lines of "no, but I do have other serious medical conditions that affect my weight, and I am conscious of (or working towards) my health".

For the people who are joking around - that makes me mad. You don't joke about a serious mental illness. Do they think making fun of you would help things if you were anorexic???

I agree, i think they are genuine but they just dont listen most of the time, like the other day i was talking to chloe, i said i was frustrated because my mom keeps saying im loosing weight again and she just went "you probably are, you need to eat more lol"

Asthma

Osteopinia

High blood calcium

#28 nikky

nikky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:27 PM

O man do I know how you feel. I am between 5'3 and 5'4 and when I was healthy I was 114 and then when I got sick I went down to like 83 pounds and people kept making comments and doctors even asked me if I was anorexic and I absolutely hated it. I had tons of anxiety due to what I have been through and so I would not eat alot or in front of people because I was afraid of getting sick because everything used to make me sick so I decided I guess not to eat. Anyhow to make a long story short I am about 125 now and I have a healthy appetite because the doctors actually put me on an anti anxiety med that helps increase weight. You know I am not a big fan of meds but when you are so thin like I was, it's a last option. Anyhow, just try not to let it get to you...I know it is harder than it seems cuz I was there and those comments hurt because you feel like you can't help it but you know what..it WILL get better. And being gluten free for a while did help me gain weight back too. Just hang in there

PS...I don't think your weight seems that bad to me..that is actually a pretty good weight for your size if you ask me. Maybe they are just jealous ;)

thankyou, i hope your feeling better!

Asthma

Osteopinia

High blood calcium

#29 evilette13

evilette13

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:02 PM

I just wanted to share with you. I am 5' 9" and currently weigh 115 lbs. My good friends look out for me and often choose dining options based on the availability of gluten-free foods. I feel extremely lucky to have such a wonderfully understanding group of girlfriends. However, before I knew about celiac, I was almost fired from my job because they said, "I must be on drugs to be so skinny and so tired all the time." Other people, often clients- as I am a stylist, would rave and make jealous remarks about, "how nice it must be to be so skinny." Finally I got fed up and asked if they would tell a fat person the same thing about being so big? They often look perplexed and respond 'no' as if I have offended them. I then explain that I have not chosen to be skinny. Unfortunately, sometimes you just need to take a deep breath and extend your energies finding food rather than worrying about if someone else thinks you are anorexic. It does no good and they will think it anyway. We have enough anxiety already. I try to keep fresh fruit on hand at all times and eat dry rice noodles when my insides hurt so bad I can't think. I have also found a wonderful immune boosting power IgG 2000 that has helped to keep my insides happier. In addition, acidophillous pills for ulcerative colitis called VVL#3 have been a life saver. These two meds are expensive. Have you tried gluten-free food enzymes when you eat? They often help me speed up a bad case of accidental gluten ingestion. Hope this information is inspiring to you.

--Monica

Keep positive and remember time and careful eating will help you gain weight and control of your life.

thankyou, i hope your feeling better!

---Monica

diagnosed November 2006

before celiac diagnosis:
four abdominal surgeries, six MRIs, three CT scans, five emergency room visits, 40-50 prescribed meds, 30 different doctors

currently:
helping others with celiac
researching celiac lifestyle improvements
spreading information about food allergies and celiac to as many people as possible

#30 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:19 PM

Thanks for the tips. I do try to explain to my freinds about celiac, but most of the time i end up wanting throw something because all i get are comments like "I'd tell them to stuff it" (them meaning my doctors) and "I'd die if i couldnt eat cookies and pizza"

Nikki, I think its more likely your friend can't help eating cookies and pizza and instead of accepting she has a problem is looking to transfer the 'guilt'.
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: