9 replies to this topic

#1 LuvMoosic4life

LuvMoosic4life

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 04:49 AM

Are most brands of powdered sugar safe? and what about baking powder and baking soda?? Most of the ones I see dont have any suspect ingredients or warnings about the factories so I figure they are safe? I havent actually baked anything gluten-free yet. I asume to stick to pure vanilla extract also, over the imitation brown stuff?

thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 05:23 AM

I've seen quite a few brands of powdered sugar that say gluten-free on the bag. The one thing about powdered sugar is that it is cut with cornstarch and a lot of people with corn issues can't handle it. Nielsen-Massey and McCormick pure vanilla is gluten-free. I contacted McCormick about their imitation butter flavor and it is also gluten-free and I think they told me all of their imitation flavorings were but you might want to call or email to verify.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

#3 LuvMoosic4life

LuvMoosic4life

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:30 AM

thans. yeah, I heard that alll McCormick products are gluten-free, unless labeled otherwise....

#4 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:39 AM

There was a warning here a while back about some powdered sugar containing gluten. I think it was the Walmart brand or perhaps just a brand that they carry. Can't say for sure since our Walmart doesn't have a grocery.

#5 wolfie

wolfie

Kim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:08 PM

A year or so ago I went to buy powdered sugar at Wal-Mart and their Great Value brand had wheat starch in it. Most brands use corn starch. Just make sure to check the label on whichever powdered sugar you buy.
Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm
but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06
gluten-free since 1/12/06
Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)
Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006
gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)
HLA-DQ2 positive
Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times
Still eating gluten for now.

#6 Katsby

Katsby

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 04:55 PM

I buy Rumford baking powder or Clabber Girl. They state gluten free on the container.

#7 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 05:44 PM

Because corn is becoming a fuel, the price has gone up, so many companies have gone back to using wheat starch. Even brands we have trusted for a while now are now showing up with wheat starch. Always read the labels, even your old favorites.

My sister is a dietician and the powdered sugar she had been buying from Gordon's Food Service, had been gluten free for some time, it now contains wheat starch!
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#8 LuvMoosic4life

LuvMoosic4life

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:16 PM

Because corn is becoming a fuel, the price has gone up, so many companies have gone back to using wheat starch. Even brands we have trusted for a while now are now showing up with wheat starch. Always read the labels, even your old favorites.

My sister is a dietician and the powdered sugar she had been buying from Gordon's Food Service, had been gluten free for some time, it now contains wheat starch!

ugh!!! so annoying!!

#9 VioletBlue

VioletBlue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:12 AM

In addition to the corn in cornstarch, cornstarch is usually, unless it says otherwise, chemically processed with sulfites. People like me with sulfite allergies need to avoid cornstarch.

I've seen quite a few brands of powdered sugar that say gluten-free on the bag. The one thing about powdered sugar is that it is cut with cornstarch and a lot of people with corn issues can't handle it. Nielsen-Massey and McCormick pure vanilla is gluten-free. I contacted McCormick about their imitation butter flavor and it is also gluten-free and I think they told me all of their imitation flavorings were but you might want to call or email to verify.

"My mother always told me, it's okay to play with a man's mind
as long as you put it back where you got it when you're done with it."

#10 Krysta-Rae

Krysta-Rae

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:22 PM

I buy Rogers Icing sugar in Canada and the sugar produced by Lantic Inc/Rogers uses a small amount of cornstarch. B)

Good to know that the GV icing sugar at WalMart uses wheat starch... <_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: