13 replies to this topic

#1 Chrissyb

Chrissyb

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:48 AM

Before Celiac I would make a basic rue with flour and butter, now I use cornstarch to thicken things. My question is I know there is a lot of expereince on this borad so what do you use to make gravy, white sauce, or to thicken things. What is the best kind of flour to use, I have just been using cornstarch but I know I can use other flours to just not sure which ones are best. Thank you.
Chrissy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:05 AM

I use either cornstarch or potato starch. With potato starch, I find I only need about half as much.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#3 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:21 AM

I make my roux just like I always did, with Bob's Red Mill All-purpose gluten-free flour blend, in the same amount as before. Some don't care for the bean flour that it contains when used in large quantity in baking, but the flavor blends well in the sauces and is unnoticable.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#4 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:02 AM

I have always used cornstarch. I was told that sweet rice flour is good to use.
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#5 ShayFL

ShayFL

ShayFL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:43 AM

I make a roux with amaranth flour and olive oil for white cream sauces. I use arrowroot to thicken other things. I dont eat corn.

The trick with arrowroot is that you should take a few tlb of the warm liquid from your dish (or warm water) and mix with the arrowroot to make sure it mixes well (no lumps) then gradually add it to your dish.
GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

#6 sixtytwo

sixtytwo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 10:09 AM

It was pleasing to hear another person say they use Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Flour as I use that exclusively in recipes and for thickening gravy. I have used cornstarch and potato starch to thicken gravies, too. The BRMAPF works so well for me, I just back off some on the amount in all of my favorite recipes and add some xanthun gum. It seems the more moist the recipe, the more adaptable it is to gluten-free. I have baked cakes, cookies, muffins and cookies using the flour subsitute with success. Also with the gravies and white sauce, it takes less than regular flour, but you don't notice any difference in the taste.

Barbara

#7 WW340

WW340

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 05:24 PM

I have always used corn starch, even prior to going gluten free. However, I ran out of corn starch one night and used potato starch. Now I am a big potato starch fan. I like it better than corn starch.
Positive Bloodwork January 2007
Positive Biopsy Feb. 2007
Gluten Free since January 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,9)

#8 curlyfries

curlyfries

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:09 PM

Another one for potato starch!
~~Lisa~~

"The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."--Moliere

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."--Douglas Adams

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!--Amanda

gluten-free since 1/08
Posted Image

#9 JennyC

JennyC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:46 PM

I just use my all purpose flour: 1 part corn starch, 1 part tapioca flour and 1 part rice flour. I use it as a direct substitution for wheat flour.
Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.
Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

#10 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:35 AM

I use light buckwheat flour. I find that my gravies turn out the same as with wheat flour, and everybody raves about them.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#11 swalker

swalker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 06:24 AM

Before Celiac I would make a basic rue with flour and butter, now I use cornstarch to thicken things. My question is I know there is a lot of expereince on this borad so what do you use to make gravy, white sauce, or to thicken things. What is the best kind of flour to use, I have just been using cornstarch but I know I can use other flours to just not sure which ones are best. Thank you.

I've tried them all and settled on glutinous rice flour in almost everything. It never gets slimy like arrowroot and tapioca tend to. It disappears and doesn't effect the finished flavour.

#12 ebrbetty

ebrbetty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:56 PM

I use cornstarch too..used it tonight in my yummy sweet and sour pork
~Betty

#13 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:52 PM

I use a featherlight mix, and love it! I keep a big tupperware of it mixed up in my cupboard for whenever I need it.

Featherlight Mix - from Bette Hagman's Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread
1 c. Rice flour
1 c. cornstarch
1 c. tapioca starch
1 Tbs. potato flour (NOT potato starch)

Mix well.
Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT
Gluten-free since June 2006
Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991
Dairy-free for good since summer 2008
Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008
Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(
Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

#14 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:23 PM

I only use cornstarch if the recipe specifically calls for it. The problem with cornstarch is that it tends to break down when reheated and we often have leftovers.

Most of the time I use sweet rice flour.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: