4 replies to this topic

#1 sillyken

sillyken

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 05:03 PM

:( I was making a white bread recipe from Betty Hagmans cookbook and I put the setting on wheatbread. Within 2 hours the bread rose above the top of my pan and was burning on the coils. So I grabed it and put it in the refrigerator. It is two days later and I'm starting to bake it again. Has my yeast run out and should I put new yeast in or is it gone to the dogs? I hope someone responds soon.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 10:44 PM

You probably need to start over. Don't worry, we have all had our moment with bread. Be sure that you are using the correct amount of dough for your size machine. If it is the usual upright kind of square loaf, you don't want more than about 2 1/2 cups of total dry ingredients and about 1 cup plus the eggs and oil of wet ingredients. There are some really good recipes out there if you continue to have poor luck.
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

#3 Deby

Deby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 11:29 AM

I found Betty Hagman's bread's too runny and had the same problem with them over flowing the pan. I'd try more flour. Try using a ratio of two cups of water for 3 cups of flour. I don't know how this will work in a bread machine. When I make mine, I use two cups of flour and set the third cup aside. Then after the batter has risin, I add in the third cup of flour to stiffen the dough. Iv'e found that if I add all of the flour at once, the bread doesn't rise. It's heavy and icky.

good luck

PS I posted by bread recipe somewhere on this site in another topic where someone was asking about bread.
Monica
anti-body negative, self diagnosed, Gluten free since March 2001. Two sons (8) also have celiac. Antibody and biopsy positive. I love to cook and after much much experimentation can now get by pretty well!

#4 Boojca

Boojca

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 01:48 PM

The thing to remember with Bette's bread recipes is very often they are for TWO 8 1/2 x 4 pans....not one pan, and not the 9x5 pan. I had the same problem until I read the instructions VERY carefully to see what I was doing wrong. Sigh. We've all been there and have our own "Bread Baking Battle Scars".

Bridget

#5 kactuskandee

kactuskandee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 10:44 PM

For some reason I just cannot get a good loaf of bread using a bread machine. I have to mix the ingredients with a heavy duty stand mixer then dump the dough in the pan and let it rise, just to the top of the pan, then bake. Never have a failure when I do it like that.

Yeast is short lived. I'd start all over again. Sorry.

Kandee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: