19 replies to this topic

#16 rosebud45

rosebud45

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 09:57 AM

Hello, i was diagnosed with celiac disease in Oct,03 after about 3 yrs. It's funny how things work out because just the other day i was thinking on fasting because of feeling so bloated even after making a small bowel movement. I used to fast once in a while before bein g told what i had. I guess i just assumed being gluten free would end all the problems . once in a while i get a burning sensation and pain on my right side , and my bones acke any one have any in put to help me . Also i have interstistal cysticis and have read that celiac disease plays a part in this

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Karina

Karina

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 11:40 AM

Theresa,
Thanks for the reply! I need to ask my doc what happens if this endo is "normal". He was quick to think I have celiac disease--he said it is much more prevalent than what was once thought (obviously), but he said if I had it I don't have to "do" anything if I don't want. After researching, I am thinking how could he say that? I am a poster child for osteoporosis as it is--why would I not waqnt to do something to help myself? I am already iron deficient now--I was just surprised he was so cavalier about it. If my endo is normal then it is going to be up to me I guess to go gluten-free to see if it helps, but is their a blood test that is diagnostic when you are consuming gluten? I had a celiac panel, but doc says it alone is not diagnostic.
KARINA

#18 guppymom

guppymom

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:44 PM

My daughter was diagnosed by blood test. She had barium scans and all of that, but not an endo, he didn't feel it was necessary since she was positive on the serum test. The latest newsletter article actually mentioned that in that doctor's findings the blood test usually only comes back positive AFTER major damage has been being done in the intestines.
I belong to a huge health system here in NW washington, and their big thing right now is endo endo endo. They are waaaaaay behind in knowledge as far as celiac disease is concerned. It was just a few months ago that they were still running on the idea that all people with celiac disease were emaciated and wasted. I've found doctors to be very cavalier about it.
So, it really is, i think in most cases, up to us to do what we know we need to do.

#19 Karina

Karina

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 02:32 PM

I am not sure exacltly what was on my celiac blood panel. A couple of IgG's and a couple of IgA's and one other thing starting with a T I THINK, what I am wondering is what specific blood tests would be considered diagnostic. I ask this because I have noticed that different people had different ones done, and I don't know what the difference is.

Karina
KARINA

#20 YankeeDB

YankeeDB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 02:46 PM

Karina, my understanding (and I hope others will correct me if I am wrong) is that none of the blood tests are considered definitive for Celiac Disease. Only a biopsy of the small intestine will do that. However, many doctors believe that positive results on the blood tests are sufficient for the patient to try a gluten-free diet and if that helps symptoms to consider the person as "gluten intolerant". Other doctors use the blood tests mainly to decide if the endoscopy is worth it--it looks like your doctor is in that category.

Some doctors think that biopsies can yield a "false negative" which means it looks like you DON'T have celiac disease when actually you do. Interpretation of results is subjective. Also, there is the chance they won't sample your intestine at a spot where there is damage. So, even if your biopsy is negative and your doctor says you don't have celiac disease, you might STILL want to try a gluten-free diet to see how you feel.

The world of medicine is much murkier than I would like to believe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: