#1 meelaf

meelaf

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:39 PM

Hi everyone!

I'm a new member. I live in Switzerland, which is a wine producing country and where drinking wine is part of the culture. I was having the usual horrible celiac reactions after drinking wine and couldn't understand the reason why until a friend told me that wheat is used in wine-processing!

Couldn't believe it, so looked it up on the net and, guess what, wheat fibres are used in the clarifying process! Asked a wine rep and he confirmed this - sometimes egg white is used, sometimes izingglass and sometimes WHEAT!

So, bye-bye wine!

Best wishes

meelaf

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:59 PM

Hi everyone!

I'm a new member. I live in Switzerland, which is a wine producing country and where drinking wine is part of the culture. I was having the usual horrible celiac reactions after drinking wine and couldn't understand the reason why until a friend told me that wheat is used in wine-processing!

Couldn't believe it, so looked it up on the net and, guess what, wheat fibres are used in the clarifying process! Asked a wine rep and he confirmed this - sometimes egg white is used, sometimes izingglass and sometimes WHEAT!

So, bye-bye wine!

Best wishes

meelaf

Would you please site your references for your conclusion. I have never heard of this.

Perhaps, it's the sulfites in the wine that you are reacting to. All wines contain sulfites with the exception of some US organic wines that do not add sulfites.

Unless you're drinking this:
http://winemaking.ja...et/reques79.asp
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 Phyllis28

Phyllis28

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 01:29 PM

Unless you're drinking this:
http://winemaking.ja...et/reques79.asp

Wheat Wine - I shutter just thinking that about it.
Phyllis

Gluten Free - 30 years

#4 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:14 PM

Wow--read this...

http://www.winecrime...es/latimes.html

and this....

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/11754564
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#5 Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker

Adavanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:28 PM

Wow--read this...

http://www.winecrime...es/latimes.html

and this....

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/11754564

OMG!!!! Can it be?! Is this true!? Because I have to say, folks, that if this is true it could explain a year-long medical mystery for me. My mom and I refer to it as Sarah's Sunday Runs. :ph34r: :lol: Ahem... Seriously, though, this is kind of depressing.
-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007
--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.
--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.
--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

#6 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:38 PM

Now that's just not fair. Gluten in wine should not be there anymore than fish or bull's blood or egg whites or casein. What's wrong with just grapes and yeast?
Article in the Press Democrat saying that wheat is sometime used in the glue on wine barrels.
http://www1.pressdem...1036/BUSINESS01

The company mentioned in the article that makes fining agents for wines: Page decribes thier fining agents.
http://www.laffort.c...ts/collage.html

Mad Cow disease from drinking wine?
BBC new article about bull blood being used to clarify wine in France.
http://news.bbc.co.u...rope/377938.stm

Happy Friday! Yuck. :blink:
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#7 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:43 PM

http://en.wikipedia....luten-free_diet

I would think that should there be any cross contamination from the barrels that it is less that the 200pps. [edit] Accuracy of "gluten-free" labels

I can't find any source for this, but I can't image this (wine containing gluten) to be accurate. Otherwise, there would have been screaming from all the support and lobby organizations for Celiac Awareness even without the lack of labeling laws that pertain to wine industry.
Lisa

#8 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 05:21 PM

I don't know, Lisa--I did a quick search this afternoon using the key words "wine" "fining" and "wheat". I was surprised at how much information came up. Vegan wines, evidently, sometimes use wheat and pea protein.

I'm not talking about the glue on the barrel, but the actual ingredient used in clarifying the wine itself. Although, some of us who are extremely sensitive certainly could react to that alone.

Since technically the wheat (or whatever was used to fine the wine) isn't an ingredient, they can get away with not listing it--and not providing a CC warning. For instance, egg is a common fining agent, but how many labels list it...and egg is a top 8 allergan.
Patti

#9 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 06:06 PM

http://www.breweryla...om/finings.html

Here is a listing of common finings in beer and wine, none of which has a wheat derivative.

Could it be that the non-traditional wines may contain wheat as a fining agent? Don't know.
Lisa

#10 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 06:10 PM

Could it be that the non-traditional wines may contain wheat as a fining agent? Don't know.

Could be.... I'm sure it's not a common thing but it's good to know, nonetheless :)
Patti

#11 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 01:59 PM

Could be.... I'm sure it's not a common thing but it's good to know, nonetheless :)

From what I have read so far it seems bentonite clay is pretty commonly used for the fining/clarifying. But there is no way to know what each vinyard uses unless they reveal it. Clay doesn't sound like a bad deal at all. Seems they have a lot of options for what to use.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#12 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 02:03 PM

From what I have read so far it seems bentonite clay is pretty commonly used for the fining/clarifying. But there is no way to know what each vinyard uses unless they reveal it. Clay doesn't sound like a bad deal at all.

I thought the same thing :)
Patti

#13 babysteps

babysteps

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 03:22 PM

Most wines are "fined" - but not all. There are some wines that specifically say "unfined and unfiltered" on the label, those should be safe as long as your system is okay with grapes & fermentation!!

Or if you already have some wine you can go on the winery's website or call and see if they fine (most wineries do) and if so what they use, if they ever use wheat.

here is a link to an article about red wine reactions and some possible causes, may help explain some of the mechanics.

Some folks with yeast issues react to virtually all alcohol - there are some threads on this site that go into more detail.

Good luck to all finding beverages that work with their bodies :)
gluten-free (except unintentionally) from 7 Dec 2007
3 gluten-free cousins and counting (1 gold standard, 1 pos blood/no endo, 1 self/dietary diagnosed)
suspect mother was celiac (also, cousin suspects my mother's twin is celiac)

Feb 08 testing 'normal range' for gluten antibodies, IBD and food allergies
Staying off gluten - dietary reaction is compelling for me!

"Hi, I'm the gluten-free diner at your table."

#14 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

Moved to SO CA in November 2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 08:03 PM

I took this quote from one of the first 'references Patti listed.

"""Why freak out the ignorant when we are adjusting something that is already there in the wine?" says Clark Smith, chairman of Vinovation Inc., a Sebastopol, Calif.-based wine industry "fix-it shop."

Do you think we are just IGNORANT to try to drink wine anymore? :ph34r: :lol:
Oye.........on this 'quote' i'm going to bed
nite all
Judy
Judy in Southern CA

#15 FredB

FredB

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:52 AM

From believing that I was only wheat intolerant I've now worked out that I'm probably reacting to all gluten too (self-diagnoses through trial and error - no help from medics, being told to "just carry on the way I am doing"). Anyway, slowly removing all gluten from my diet I find that one thing left is a reaction to wine, both red and white, which even in small amounts now gives headaches and fatigue for 24 hours.

The hard thing about all this is the huge extent of unlisted gluten use. Even on the celiac web site there is an article that states that all wine is okay. My experience suggests that this is untrue, and that the only real test is ones own reaction. Now I don't trust anything until I've been symptom free after use of any amount - process that gets easier now that I've eliminated almost all sources. I now only drink gluten-free beer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: