This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I'm Blown Away. Didn't Know This Contains Wheat.

TammyK

TammyK Apprentice

This is an exciting day. I just made sense as to why my daughter reacts to MSG in the same way as wheat. (Mild Seizing). Gluten is extracted from the wheat grain for MSG. She had a reaction this morning possibly from McDonald's Fries, a large portion at that from lunch yesterday! I learned that Micky-D's fries have MSG. (this all sounding accurate to you?) It also explains this horrible cranky day of hers.

I knew that MSG is BAD and that reacting neurologically made sense but not because there was gluten in it. Many people react to MSG that don't have any food intolerances or celiac. My mom's esphogus swells shut! She has no food issues that she is aware of atleast. (Anyone know of relationship of MSG and Asthmatics?)

Ok, before I make more mistakes, I will be needing a list of all those ingredients on the labels that contain gluten but don't label themselves wheat, oats. rye or barely.

Also, funny thing... my daughter didn't react to barely after having it over a 3 day period. So very strange! Why is it only the wheat gluten that seems so toxic? It's obvious she shouldn't be eating out until I get my head screwed on straiting anyway. Good thing though is that alteast unintended reactions provide info.

Inch by inch, one day at a time, I'm learning. This forum is a big peice of that puzzle.

TammyK

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac-mommy Collaborator

Are you in the US? I've read in multiple places that in the US, MSG is derived from corn. I know MSG, in general reaks (sp?) havok on my stomach and I'm not Celiac. Also, you might want to look into the small amt of wheat in the McD's fries--long discussed topic on here. They are a no-no in my house, a small amt is too much for us!

Open Original Shared Link

You're right, MSG is BAD!!

celiac-mommy Collaborator

I guess they're not vegetarian either.... :blink:

HAK1031 Enthusiast

Rachelle is right...MSG in the US is fine gluten-wise, although it does make some people (celiac or otherwise) sick. However, McDonald's fries do have wheat, and they may be fried in the same fryer as the chicken nuggets, which is plenty to sicken a celiac.

psawyer Proficient
McDonald's fries...may be fried in the same fryer as the chicken nuggets, which is plenty to sicken a celiac.

This would be a violation of McD rules. I can't rule out some franchisee violating the fryer segregation rule, but nothing except fries and hash browns are allowed in the dedicated fryers at the front of the store. It has nothing to do with keeping gluten out of the fries. The taste of McDonald french fries is what distinguishes them from other fries, and McD wants to make sure nothing like bread, chicken or fish can possibly taint the fries. Potato products are fried at the front by the window crew; everything else is fried in the back by the grill crew.

Despite the similarity in the words gluten and glutamate, they have nothing in common chemically. MSG is controversial, but it is not any worse for celiacs than for others, and it is not a source of gluten.

TammyK Apprentice
Despite the similarity in the words gluten and glutamate, they have nothing in common chemically. MSG is controversial, but it is not any worse for celiacs than for others, and it is not a source of gluten.

Hi All, Yes, I am in the US

Thanks for the clarification but I honestly did read that MSG has gluten in it. Ugh. However, I read alot too about how the public is misinformed to regarding the effects of MSG - that it isnt' really effecting people and that it is perfectly "safe". I watched my daugher arms trembling, she collapse of weakness, turned pale and got clamy and sweaty from the stuff. I laughed at that article. No one can tell me MSG is safe. Too bad the Internet is 100% accurate.

And, I am studying to understand glutamate and I have been confused by how it relates to gluten, thus my research today. . .

I'M VERY THANKFUL TO LEARN OF MCDONALD'S FRIES AND THE WHEAT AND MILK DERIVATIVES THEY CONTAIN. THANKS! Wow, I'm learning so much. It explains this morning's seizure better than the MSG theory. I shall have to research online all the local restaraunts so I know food labels ahead of time.

Thanks Again.

gfpaperdoll Rookie

Tammy did you read my link to Glutamates & MSG? I think I gave it to you on another post, where I talked about all the common food problems. Please be aware of "natural flavoring". It zaps me every time.

I had some Whole Foods 365 brand sweet pickles with "natural flavoring" ate three pickles & I did not time it but I got a severe pain jolt weird sensation in my brain - not pleasant - it was down right scarry. needless to say those pickles got tossed.

A lot of people are misinformed about MSG - things change & they have changed a lot in the last couple of years concerning MSG...

I do not eat anything at McD, for one thing their hands have wheat contamination & even if the fries are in a dedicated frier, they touch the bag etc etc.

I have better luck at places like Taco Cabanna, Pei Wei...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star
I guess they're not vegetarian either.... :blink:

Or dairy free. There's milk in them. :angry:

lovegrov Collaborator

The Internet is a great thing overall but one of the problems is that old or wrong information hangs around for a long, long time. There are many, many ingredients that either used to have hidden gluten or that somebody (too many times the CSA) thought might be a danger that we now know are either safe or will have wheat clearly listed if not safe. It can be hard to sort it all out.

richard

TammyK Apprentice
Tammy did you read my link to Glutamates & MSG? I think I gave it to you on another post, where I talked about all the common food problems. Please be aware of "natural flavoring". It zaps me every time.

I had some Whole Foods 365 brand sweet pickles with "natural flavoring" ate three pickles & I did not time it but I got a severe pain jolt weird sensation in my brain - not pleasant - it was down right scarry. needless to say those pickles got tossed.

A lot of people are misinformed about MSG - things change & they have changed a lot in the last couple of years concerning MSG...

I do not eat anything at McD, for one thing their hands have wheat contamination & even if the fries are in a dedicated frier, they touch the bag etc etc.

I have better luck at places like Taco Cabanna, Pei Wei...

~gfpaperdoll~

I didn't respond to that last post based on what you said but glad to see you back. I would *love* that flourless cookie recipe! (Don't know your personal email either)

Yes, I clicked on the link, copied it and emailed it my husband's work asking for a copy of the whole document. I am experiencing printer difficulties. I find it quiet interesting. I am still trying to figure out the whole, "is it glutamate or is it gluten" thing with what is causing seizures. I know Doctor J says it's glutamate build up in the brain that causes brain disfunction. So how does french fries play into it? I KNOW she is allergic to wheat based on testing and symptoms. The french fries caused a reaction. The whole ordeal has been helpful in teaching my daugher how important it is not to trust any food until labels are read. (Esp. restaurants). She was mad at McD.

I know natural flavoring is a no-no. It was disheartening when my little girl wanted some gum at Walmart. Every single pack had natural flavoring. She cried right there in the store an copt a major attitude. Sometimes it is hard to know how to handle her. Be sympathetic or tell her to toughen up and deal with it.

I just experienced the pain jolt you are talking about. It was strange and scary. Made me more sympathetic to my daughter. It was only in a very small region of my brain. I have food issues too but they don't look anything like my little girl's. I break out in patchy irritated skin on my neck, behind my ears and around my hair line. I used to itch but that has disappeared. Alot of people think I get acne.

Things are winding up though so I may not respond quickly. We are key people in making our county fair happen.

~TK~

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

For the record, I have never seen a McD's fry their nuggets in the same oil as the french fries.

In fact, McDonald is very poroud of their dedicated fryers for their fries and hash browns.

curlyfries Contributor

Not all natural flavoring is bad. It just means you need to do more research on that product to find out what is actually in THEIR natural flavoring.

As far as gum goes, there are several that are gluten-free. I have heard that fruit flavored Stride is NOT safe. Here is a site that should help:

Open Original Shared Link

lovegrov Collaborator

The vast majority of gums are gluten-free, even if they list natural flavors.

richard

Archived