This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Glutened Or Just Sick? (poo Details Inside)

sixdogssixcats

sixdogssixcats Apprentice

I wonder if Catherine "got glutened" two days ago somehow, and then I accidentally made it worse. She was just pure evil Friday night ... wouldn't go to sleep, screamed for hours, took off her pull-up and deliberately peed in the middle of her bed. About 2:30am she woke up with horrendous stomach cramps and diarrhea and wanted medicine. Without thinking, I gave her a Tums -- really as a placebo since nothing helps stomach cramps. One of the main inactive ingredients is maltodextrin. About 30 minutes after she ate the Tums, she had such stomach cramps that she poo'd in her pull-up, before I could get upstairs to get her on the potty. At this point I noticed streaks of red in the mucous-consistency diarrhea. Blood, I assume, as nothing she ate would have caused the poo to simply be discolored. It could have been there all along but it the dark, I didn't notice.

She continued with red-streak or red-tinged diarrhea all day Saturday (yesterday) and by evening the color of the poo had returned to normal and was becoming more solid, from mucousy to runny applesauce. She got up several times during the night to poo. This morning (Sunday) she has only poo-d once but was just now bent over at the waist holding her stomach and saying it hurt.

She was diagnosed with celiac about a month ago and has been -- to our knowledge -- gluten-free since then. Prior to the diagnosis, she poo-d tiny rocks her entire life since coming off Alimentum at age 2. Since being gluten-free, her stools are more formed instead of individual tiny pebbles. She has never had bloody diarrhea in her life up until now. She says she only ate what I sent to her babysitter for her on Friday, and I believe her. At 3 1/2, she understands very well that some foods hurt her tummy and she is only to eat what mama or daddy give her. She says she didn't play with play-doh either. We did go out to dinner Friday night at a fave Thai place where they've been cooking especially for Catherine (steamed rice, plain steamed chicken) and we've never had a problem with the food before (we go weekly). I guess it's possible someone in the kitchen there wasn't careful with her food.

Does this sound like a gluten reaction after being 100% gluten-free for a month? Would it last so long -- about 36 hours now? The alternative is that she's simply sick, but she has no other signs of illness. No fever, no snot, no vomiting, no nothing.

What do you all think, and how can I get her over this as quickly as possible? Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

I got no kids myself. But it seems to get her past it would be best to do a very simple diet for a day or two. Like applesauce only, or bananas. Maybe put a little psyllium husks (1/2 teaspoon) in her food for extra fiber. Be careful of spices too, as they often have gluten added to keep them dry and loose. McCormick brand single ingredient spices are gluten free, per their website, but not the blends. I'd skip the Thai place, unless you can verify all their spices are gluten-free. That is if they are using spices on her food. There is also the possibility of cross contamination at the Thai place, if they don't understand the total separation required in the cooking process. Maybe they would let you bring in food for her to eat? That way you could still go there and she could eat safely. I hope this helps some. Since celiac is genetic, are you or your husband on the diet too?

Open Original Shared Link

Question

Do your products contain gluten?

Answer

All of our single ingredient spices and herbs are gluten-free and 100% pure, with nothing added to them. All of our extracts, including Pure Vanilla, are also gluten-free. Some of our products do contain gluten, and this will be clearly listed in BOLD type within the ingredient statement. We do not maintain a list of gluten-free products, as our formulas change from time to time.

ShayFL Enthusiast

All of the Tums are gluten free per their website except 2 of their "smoothie" brands.

sixdogssixcats Apprentice
All of the Tums are gluten free per their website except 2 of their "smoothie" brands.

Which would be the kind we have. :(

gfpaperdoll Rookie

Did the baby sitter cook with any flour while your daughter was there? Did the sitter touch some wheat & then touch your daughter's food? her glass? was the table free of crumbs?...

If you really have a lot of pets, is the pet food gluten-free? If not is causes cross contamination - the stuff will be everywhere.

also, double check everything, it is rare that you get everything right in one month...

slmprofesseur Apprentice

My ds had the same type of poo for about 2-3 weeks after he left the in May sitter's for the summer. He had it(D) for a while but I couldn't figure out why he had it. That's why I joined this forum.. I knew it wasn't the b-f poo but something else. It was mucousy, like applesauce, the blood and sometimes like water. He too would remove his diaper unless it was a pinned prefold. It was really bad I was washing a load of diapers 2-3 times a day and linens too! (Thank God it was cloth cause I'd be broke if I had to buy pampers!!!) He too was evil everyday he went to the sitters'.

I think no, I know, he was glutened by cc or whatever for the 9 months he was at the sitters. It makes me feel sick to my stomach to think he was in pain. (I don't think that she cleaned the high chair tray after feeding her son eggs, wheat bread...etc.)

That aside, we went on a bland diet for 2 wks and slowly he returned to normal. He ate plain brown rice, maybe cooked in Gluten-free chicken broth, plain Tinkyada pasta, bananas, pears, applesauce, and rice chex. On the 3rd week added probiotics and yogurt- soy and sweet potatoes, and Gluten-free french fries from kroger. (He's allergic to milk, eggs, wheat, and nuts...) After 1 month the poo was somewhat formed and he started to eat more foods...

Just recently, I have noticed normal (2 months later) poo (Yeah!) but I am scared about daycare in the fall. :(

I have also noticed that he's grown a lot taller and is gaining weight. We have almost potty trained but bms are hard to predict since his body is still healing. (BTW, he's not officially celiac, just allergic to wheat...lol)

Are there other children at the daycare? Yuri got horrible diaper rash in the diaper area when he drank from another kids sippy cup, it had Powerade in it- which has wheat.

I hope the bland diet helps Catherine feel a lot better. Good luck!

Archived