This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Original Pancake House - Rockville, Md

savvvyseller

savvvyseller Enthusiast

It's been reported elsewhere that The Original Pancake House recently introduced gluten free pancakes, at least at locations in CA and CO. We ate this weekend at the location on Rockville Pike in Rockville, Maryland and can confirm that the restaurant is serving gluten free pancakes there. From memory, I believe they have plain, blueberry, strawberry, chocolate chip and banana varieties.

We also visited Noah's Pretzels down the road in Gaithersburg, Maryland for gluten free soft pretzels.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Very cool.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Agreed...very cool might be worth the road trip for me! I love pancakes!

Gemini Experienced
It's been reported elsewhere that The Original Pancake House recently introduced gluten free pancakes, at least at locations in CA and CO. We ate this weekend at the location on Rockville Pike in Rockville, Maryland and can confirm that the restaurant is serving gluten free pancakes there. From memory, I believe they have plain, blueberry, strawberry, chocolate chip and banana varieties.

We also visited Noah's Pretzels down the road in Gaithersburg, Maryland for gluten free soft pretzels.

The only problem with that is most pancake houses are wall to wall gluten. Do they use a dedicated griddle to cook the gluten-free ones on? I would tend to doubt it.

I also wouldn't trust the knowledge level of anyone working in a pancake house, unless you are lucky enough to have either a gluten-free waitress or cook.

savvvyseller Enthusiast

The pancakes are cooked separately and they use different plates. Just posted this as an FYI - as always, use your own comfort level as a guide.

NWLAX36Mom Rookie

So how were the pancakes?

Where is the restaurant on Rockville Pike?

Have you been to Lilit Cafe in Bethesda - yum!

Thanks for the info.

Lockheed Apprentice

That's a good start. I hope they are yummy! I'll have to see if there is one of these locations anywhere near where we are traveling later this month.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

colorado Apprentice

I have been eating breakfast at the original pancake house in Greenwood Village Colorado since last fall when I found out they had Gluten Free pancakes. The locations in Colorado, well at least the one I visit, received their mix from Deby's Bakery, a local gluten-free bakery and restaurant.

Earlier this year they switched to Bob's Red Mill gluten-free pancake mix, which I am not a fan of. I make Pamela's all the time. Bob's is just too starchy tasting.

As for the Gluten risks, sure they are always an issue at any restaurant, even ones that offer gluten free options. Still, I tend to get a couple scrambled eggs, and the gluten-free pancakes and I seem to do just fine.

Granted, they do no special flagging other than putting a plastic marker in the pancakes. Meaning, I don't think they take any extra precautions with the other portions of your meal.

I don't go there as often as I used to since they switched mixes. Like I said, my experiences have been good, but yours could be different.

Dyan Rookie

At least this is a start. I agree about Bob's mixes. I think their all purpose mix has too strong of bean flavor to it. But I do like the individual flours.

Archived