Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Smucker's Simply Fruit Blueberry

15 posts in this topic

I thought all Smucker's jellies & jams were gluten-free. This one lists natural flavors in the ingredients. I double checked on my lists, and it should be gluten-free. I have been feeling glutened over the past few days that I have started using this. I usually use Polanar (says gluten-free right on it), but they didn't have the blueberry last time I was at the store. It doesn't look like Wal-Mart is carrying the Polanar Blueberry anymore b/c there wasn't any space for it. They just had the Black Cherry & Strawberry. Any one else have any issues with Smucker's Simply Fruit Spreads?

Ads by Google:

I don't use Smucker's, but I would call their 800 line and inquire about the natural flavors you are seeing in the ingredients. Do you think anyone in your house could have used your jam/jellie by accident?

I use Knott's Berry Farm brand and haven't had any problems.

Have you had anything new lately or tried any new items in the house (laundry detergent, soaps, beauty products....)?

Hope you can figure out what is bothering you. Good Luck

I don't rely on lists for my gluten free food. I will generally put something back on the shelf if it has any ingredient I can not identify as gluten free including natural flavors. I try to locate products with the least amount of ingredients. For jams and jellies that is fruit and pectin.

I don't use Smucker's, but I would call their 800 line and inquire about the natural flavors you are seeing in the ingredients. Do you think anyone in your house could have used your jam/jellie by accident?

I use Knott's Berry Farm brand and haven't had any problems.

Have you had anything new lately or tried any new items in the house (laundry detergent, soaps, beauty products....)?

Hope you can figure out what is bothering you. Good Luck

Thank you. No one else would touch blueberry spread, so that isn't it. My DH & kids are strictly grape if they ever even touch jelly/jam, which is rare. No other new products. I think I am going to switch to Polanar Strawberry tomorrow and see if my symptoms improve. I eat PB & J on brown rice cakes for breaky every AM. I am going to call Smucker's just to see what they say.

I eat Smucker's Simply Fruit Strawberry and Red Raspberry. Absolutely my favorite jam out there. I have never had a problem with it.

Smucker will clearly disclose any gluten in the ingredient list. If the list does not mention wheat, rye, barley or oats (by those names) then they are not present.

Smuckers will disclose the presence of wheat, as well as the other "top 8 allergens". However, they will not necessarily list any rye or barley that might be present.

That said, all of their jams, jellies and fruit spreads are gluten-free--per the company. :)

Thanks for all of the responses. Maybe I cross-contaminated myself (I do make gluten filled food for DD) by crumbs or something on my hands or plate that I missed. I am ultra careful, but it is possible that something happened.

I thought all Smucker's jellies & jams were gluten-free. This one lists natural flavors in the ingredients. I double checked on my lists, and it should be gluten-free. I have been feeling glutened over the past few days that I have started using this. I usually use Polanar (says gluten-free right on it), but they didn't have the blueberry last time I was at the store. It doesn't look like Wal-Mart is carrying the Polanar Blueberry anymore b/c there wasn't any space for it. They just had the Black Cherry & Strawberry. Any one else have any issues with Smucker's Simply Fruit Spreads?

I know this is an old post, but I had a reaction to smacker's simply fruit today, straw berry flavored. It is the first time I have tried that brand and nothing else in my house could have caused the reaction. 

Are Smucker’s® Fruit-Fulls™ Pure Blended Fruit Gluten-Free?

Smucker’s® Fruit-Fulls™ Pure Blended Fruit do not contain gluten-based ingredients. However, it currently has not been verified gluten-free based on criteria established by the FDA.

I have a question about Smucker's ingredients. Whom should I ask?

If you have specific questions about the ingredient facts of our products, please contact our Consumer Relations Department via email or at 888-550-9555.

This is what i found on the suckers website FAQ. I hope this helps. 

This is what is frustrating to me, the label does not say gluten free, but the product is gluten free, but yet they cannot verify that is gluten free.  Exactly the reason I do my best to avoid products that do not have gluten free right on the label.  Now if you get sick and inquire about suspected product, the company's reply will be, "we never said the product was gluten free".

But don't worry, they'll make sure the high fructose corn is added, along with the soy.

First  thought - the original post is form 2008 - ingredients change in 7 years.

Second - the OP was asking about a product that is like a jam or jelly - not the Fuitfulls that are eaten more like applesauce

Third - they don't appear to contain any corn syrup or soy ingredients  from the website - 

INGREDIENTS

FRUIT SYRUP, BLUEBERRIES, LEMON JUICE CONCENTRATE, FRUIT PECTIN, NATURAL FLAVORS.

Testing for gluten will add cost to the product.  For something made with no gluten, it may not make any sense for a company to test for gluten and add that cost on to the product as most consumers don't care if its gluten-free.  It is possible that a product like this could say gluten-free and not be tested.  The law does not say that they must test for gluten to call it gluten-free.

Are Smucker’s® Fruit-Fulls™ Pure Blended Fruit Gluten-Free?

... it currently has not been verified gluten-free based on criteria established by the FDA.

In other words, they have not tested to see it the naturally gluten-free product is, in fact, below 20 ppm gluten. Do you test the stuff you buy before eating it? I don't think you likely do, and for the same reason that Smucker's don't. Testing costs money, and the likelihood that there will be a contamination issue is very low. I would eat this worry-free from a celiac disease perspective, however as a diabetic I will avoid it because of the sugar content.

I have gotten sick the past two days and the only thing that I ate that isn't guaranteed gluten free is the Smuckers Strawberry Preserves. I read the ingredients and thought I would be safe and I noticed it didn't say gluten free. Then I checked there website and they can't guarantee it due to potential cross contamination. I would pass on this until guaranteed.

What gets me riled up is this - how can they get away with calling it simply fruit when it ISN'T simply fruit?

Ingredients

FRUIT SYRUP, STRAWBERRIES, LEMON JUICE CONCENTRATE, FRUIT PECTIN, RED GRAPE JUICE CONCENTRATE ADDED FOR COLOR, NATURAL FLAVORS.