This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Reaction And Depression

dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph Collaborator

This is my first post. I have found these boards very helpful. I am having a bad gluten reaction. I'm not sure what caused it. I soiled my sheets this morning. I am horribly depressed. I've been crying all morning. I am home with my 11 year old who also has celiac and he is fine except for having to deal with his crazy mother. It really feels like live isn't worth living this way. I try to tell myself that it is just the gluten reaction, but I am having a hard time convincing myself. It has been going on for 4 days or so and keeps getting worse even though I have cut out anything that I thought could be the problem. Can it keep getting worse even days after you stopped eating accidental gluten, or am I still somehow still eating it? How do others cope at times like these?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gutbomb Rookie

I am new to all this so I really don't have an answer for you except that your little one needs you to keep on going. From what I have read it can take up to or even longer then a week for some people. I would suggest talking to a doctor because it is never good to feel the way you do. I have been there.

I will tell you that antidepressants have helped me greatly. I know a lot of people freak when you say that but I have been through some pretty rough times in my life and they helped me to get my barrings again. I am actually going through some similar but not as strong emotions because I recently went off of them. I felt that I didn't need them anymore and hubby and I want to start a family. The withdrawals are the worst. I keep telling myself I just have to get through it. Now that I am having an "IBS flare up" (if that is what it is) TTC is being put on hold once again.

I hopefully will get my Celiac Panel results today.

I know the last thing you want to do right now is anything physical BUT I know from depression experience that the worst thing you can do is sit around and mope about it. Take a walk...even if it is just around your back yard or house. If you can make it with out a bathroom near by walk around the block or maybe a mall. I understand if you can't do that. I have some Walk Away The Pounds DVDs. I can walk right in my own living room by the bathroom if I need it.

BallardWA Rookie

Oh Hon,

I'm so sorry you've been hit so hard. The only thing that gets me through those times is that I know it will pass eventually. One time, I soiled my underwear because we only have on bathroom in the house and my 12 year old son was in there. I am not the type of person to pound on the door and demand access, so I waited and lost it. The feelings of powerlessness, shame and humiliation can be overwhelming, and I think they can trigger a bout of depression. Each of my reactions have been unique, some being over in 2 days, some taking 2 weeks or more. Ride it out, drink lots of water, and continue to take your vitamins regardless of how you feel. They will help you to heal faster, especially the B-12, and rest when you can. Double check anything new that you brought into the house that may be causing the reaction, and sit tight- you WILL get better.

Be well,

Karen

lisalouuu Newbie

It is so hard to keep going at times when you feel so sick :( . The one thing you may want to do is have your thyroid checked! I had no control over my bowels for years and finally a DR checked for allergies and thyroid and not only was I allergic to wheat, soy, dairy and shellfish I was also very hyperthyroid making things even worse. Take care of yourself and check for other reasons than gluten causing your problems- it may make a difference.

Lisalouuu

lindajeaninsc Newbie
This is my first post. I have found these boards very helpful. I am having a bad gluten reaction. I'm not sure what caused it. I soiled my sheets this morning. I am horribly depressed. I've been crying all morning. I am home with my 11 year old who also has celiac and he is fine except for having to deal with his crazy mother. It really feels like live isn't worth living this way. I try to tell myself that it is just the gluten reaction, but I am having a hard time convincing myself. It has been going on for 4 days or so and keeps getting worse even though I have cut out anything that I thought could be the problem. Can it keep getting worse even days after you stopped eating accidental gluten, or am I still somehow still eating it? How do others cope at times like these?

Hello Steph,

Yes, it does get better. Celiac is really hard to live with, but eating gluten is worse! Depression is hard to fight alone, go get help if you need it. Call the Suicide Hot Line if it gets bad. It's OK, we've all been where you are and know how bad it gets. You are not crazy - you are stressed to the max!

Have you found a local support group or someone you can talk to about this stuff? I'm lucky, I have a daughter with Celiac, a sister allergic to wheat and a friend with gluten intolerance, so I have good support. It really makes a difference!

If you are very newly diagnosed, you may do better if you give up dairy for several weeks. Going dairy free helped me a great deal for about 6 weeks. Then I gradually added lactose free milk and cheese back into my diet, after my stomach had healed. I rarely eat vinegar or pickle products because it hurts if I have too much. I have had to limit salad and raw veggies, too.

Do you remember the "BRAT" diet? It's for stomach flu & works for accidental glutening, too. When you are really sick this is what you eat and only what you eat:

Bananas, plain white rice, applesauce and gluten free toast, no butter or jam, very little salt, keep it really simple! Drink water or applejuice or hot green tea.

When you start getting better, add chicken or an egg. Continue to limit fats, butter, margarine, and watch out for hidden gluten. Eat cooked plain veggies and chicken or turkey. Check your flavored coffees and teas as well as your boullion cubes. I am still finding hidden gluten after three months! I feel a little obsessive at times, but I know I have to get all gluten out of my life!

Keep reading the posts and know that there are lots of us out here. We care for each other and support each other.

Linda

Greenville, SC

I am new to all this so I really don't have an answer for you except that your little one needs you to keep on going. From what I have read it can take up to or even longer then a week for some people. I would suggest talking to a doctor because it is never good to feel the way you do. I have been there.

I will tell you that antidepressants have helped me greatly. I know a lot of people freak when you say that but I have been through some pretty rough times in my life and they helped me to get my barrings again. I am actually going through some similar but not as strong emotions because I recently went off of them. I felt that I didn't need them anymore and hubby and I want to start a family. The withdrawals are the worst. I keep telling myself I just have to get through it. Now that I am having an "IBS flare up" (if that is what it is) TTC is being put on hold once again.

I hopefully will get my Celiac Panel results today.

I know the last thing you want to do right now is anything physical BUT I know from depression experience that the worst thing you can do is sit around and mope about it. Take a walk...even if it is just around your back yard or house. If you can make it with out a bathroom near by walk around the block or maybe a mall. I understand if you can't do that. I have some Walk Away The Pounds DVDs. I can walk right in my own living room by the bathroom if I need it.

jparsick84 Rookie

I too get depressed when I'm glutenated. I remember last time it was really bad, I was lying on the couch watching "The Notebook" trying to tell myself that "cutting out cereal wasn't so bad, look at the characters in the movie and what they have to go through!" I was weepy all day, I couldn't even find the energy to make something to eat!

It will pass. Stick to basic foods for a while to ensure no more accidental glutenings, and like someone else said, do some exercise. I also like the Walk Away the Pounds series because you can do it at home and make it as intense or as gentle as you need. And once you start out gentle, hopefully you'll feel better with the endorphins pumping through your body and feel more able to get back to your life.

Also, if you can afford it, go see a psychiatrist. Even if you only get depressed with gluten (like me), it's good to see him/her to talk about your new lifestyle. It can help make the next episode less painful.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Thanks to all who replyed to my post. I was so glutened yesterday, I couldn't find out how to find the replys untill quite late. Today I am much better. I used to have trouble with depression before going gluten free and now it only happens when I am glutened, but it is so much more intense, it is harder to manage. Medication wouldn't help because it goes away in a few days so by the time the medication would kick in it would be gone on its own. To anyone not gluten free yet, or recently gluten free, suffering from depression, it might clear up with the gluten free diet as mine did. Working in my garden helps and then, if I poop in my pants the house is right there.

A therapist wouldn't help much either. By the time I could make the appointment I'd be fine again. I need to find a therapist on demand by phone. I guess the suicide hotline might be a good idea.

I have been gluten free for 8 months and still can't handle dairy. The BRAT diet is a good idea. I already put my son on a special diet when he is glutened because he gets GERD. I hadn't thought about it for myself.

My thyroid has been checked and thankfully is O.K.

Fortunately I only dump in my pants rarely since going gluten free. Before it was a weekly event attributed to IBS by my doc. Not just a bit, but a whole dump running down your legs, getting everywhere requiring a shower and lots of laundry. I wasn't able to go out much.

I too get depressed when I'm glutenated. I remember last time it was really bad, I was lying on the couch watching "The Notebook" trying to tell myself that "cutting out cereal wasn't so bad, look at the characters in the movie and what they have to go through!" I was weepy all day, I couldn't even find the energy to make something to eat!

It will pass. Stick to basic foods for a while to ensure no more accidental glutenings, and like someone else said, do some exercise. I also like the Walk Away the Pounds series because you can do it at home and make it as intense or as gentle as you need. And once you start out gentle, hopefully you'll feel better with the endorphins pumping through your body and feel more able to get back to your life.

Also, if you can afford it, go see a psychiatrist. Even if you only get depressed with gluten (like me), it's good to see him/her to talk about your new lifestyle. It can help make the next episode less painful.

That is so funny. I was watching the notebook too! That is what I did yesterday morning while crying my eyes out. Though I didn't think that what they went through was so bad. I think they are lucky to have such love in their lives.

Stephanie

Archived