17 replies to this topic

#1 purple

purple

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:26 PM

Could someone please tell me what the ingredients are in Pamela's gluten-free flour mix. Also what's your favorite premade-store bought flour mix? Our store only sells Bob's and Arrowhead Mills. I have only tried Bob's. I normally make up my own mixes. I see so many recipes for Pamela's. Just wondering...Thanks so much for your reply! :)
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:43 PM

Ingredients are listed on their website and also at Lame Advertisement

Gluten-free bread mix: Sorghum Flour, Tapioca Flour, Sweet Rice Flour, Brown Rice Flour, Organic Natural Evaporated Cane Sugar, Chicory Root, White Rice Flour, Millet Flour, Honey and Molasses; Rice Bran, Sea Salt, Xanthan Gum, Yeast Packet.

gluten-free pancake and baking mix: Brown rice flour, white rice flour, cultured buttermilk, natural almond meal (may appear as brown flecks), tapioca starch, sweet rice flour, potato starch, grainless and aluminum free baking powder (sodium bicarbonate, sodium acid pyrophosphate, potato starch), baking soda, sea salt, xanthan gum.

#3 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:24 PM

Ingredients are listed on their website and also at Lame Advertisement

Gluten-free bread mix: Sorghum Flour, Tapioca Flour, Sweet Rice Flour, Brown Rice Flour, Organic Natural Evaporated Cane Sugar, Chicory Root, White Rice Flour, Millet Flour, Honey and Molasses; Rice Bran, Sea Salt, Xanthan Gum, Yeast Packet.

gluten-free pancake and baking mix: Brown rice flour, white rice flour, cultured buttermilk, natural almond meal (may appear as brown flecks), tapioca starch, sweet rice flour, potato starch, grainless and aluminum free baking powder (sodium bicarbonate, sodium acid pyrophosphate, potato starch), baking soda, sea salt, xanthan gum.

THANKS! :D
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#4 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 03:35 PM

whoops, it said Lame Advertisement and I should have written "Amazon dot com"

#5 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:30 PM

If you start using Pamela's, there is a learning curve, especially when it comes to adding fats. I've learned that if I decrease the amt of fat added (oil, butter, etc...) by 2/3, the recipe is usually perfect. It is really forgiving when it comes to baked goods. It does NOT work well for pie crusts though--but I didn't decrease the butter in my recipe, maybe I'll have to retry that, imagine, a semi-healthy piecrust..... :huh:

Anyway, I love it and I use it all the time. I tried to recreate the mix and I came pretty close, but not close enough. My mix is PERFECT for Lorka's flax bread though, so that was worth all the trouble!! ;)

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#6 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 05:02 PM

If you find that you do like it, then buy it in bulk from Amazon. Sign up for their "subscribe and save program" and get an extra 15 percent off and free shipping off of each shipment. The program is like putting in a standing order, but you can cancel at anytime, even after the first shipment. It's free shipping even if the order isn't $25 (and they ship immediately, unlike the other free shipping program where they sit on the order for awhile <_< ) It also tells you that it's about to ship so you can delay an order if your not ready for it yet. I would try a small bag purchased locally first though, just to make sure you like it.

I also tried a "Pamela's knock-off" recipe that was pretty good but Amazon's bulk/subscribe&save program ended up being cheaper for me and I don't have to keep so many ingredients in my house.

I'm a HUGE Pamela's fan. Also love their wheat-free/gluten-free bread (and yes, I get that through the same program). I use it for bread, dinner rolls, cinnamon rolls, and pizza crusts.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#7 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:18 PM

If you find that you do like it, then buy it in bulk from Amazon. Sign up for their "subscribe and save program" and get an extra 15 percent off and free shipping off of each shipment. The program is like putting in a standing order, but you can cancel at anytime, even after the first shipment. It's free shipping even if the order isn't $25 (and they ship immediately, unlike the other free shipping program where they sit on the order for awhile <_< ) It also tells you that it's about to ship so you can delay an order if your not ready for it yet. I would try a small bag purchased locally first though, just to make sure you like it.

I also tried a "Pamela's knock-off" recipe that was pretty good but Amazon's bulk/subscribe&save program ended up being cheaper for me and I don't have to keep so many ingredients in my house.

I'm a HUGE Pamela's fan. Also love their wheat-free/gluten-free bread (and yes, I get that through the same program). I use it for bread, dinner rolls, cinnamon rolls, and pizza crusts.

Everything Janet said!!! :D I do the same, I have a case sent evey 2 months. I also have to say the recipe for sugar cookie roll outs made from the bread mix is AWESOME and easy to roll out!!

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#8 MyMississippi

MyMississippi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:27 AM

I made pie crusts with Pamela's that I thought turned out well and tasted as good as the "real thing".

(I don't care for the bread, however, too sweet for me. )
CeeCee

Allergic to: wheat, peanuts and Penicillin
1995 severe anaphylactic reaction to Wheat

Gluten free since Sept. 2006

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently"--- Henry Ford

#9 Chrissyb

Chrissyb

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:45 AM

I have only been at the for about 6 months and Pamela's is the only mix I have used and I love it and so does my family. (which are not gluten free) The first time I made the pancakes I had to make a double patch and my daughter said that the chocolate chip cookies were the best she has had. I use it for coating when we made orange chicken and with my bread crumbs when making pork cutlets. The scones on the back of the bag are to die for I use the for strawberry shortcake. Thanks to the help of the wonder people on the site and Pamela's chocolate cake mix I had the best bithday cake ever this year. As you can tell I am told sold on Pamela's and I have a son who is really picking and doesn't have to eat what I do and he loves the things I make with it so that alone makes me give it a thumbs up. :D
Chrissy

#10 Katsby

Katsby

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:09 PM

So far I've only made brownies and pancakes, but my kids loved both. I know it does have some buttermilk in it and also almond flour.

#11 slmprofesseur

slmprofesseur

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:58 PM

So far I've only made brownies and pancakes, but my kids loved both. I know it does have some buttermilk in it and also almond flour.

:( Yes, almond flour. I was going to buy some pancake mix tonight and I realized it had had almonds. My ds is very sensitive to things processed in a nut facility. He can't even eat Puffins!

Does anyone know of a good Gluten-free, nut free flour?
Knitting is a gluten free hobby!

#12 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 06:14 PM

I like Pam's mixes too! I did the "bagel" variation w/ her bread mix and had the closest thing to a bagel I'd had in more than 5 years!!!
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#13 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:19 PM

Yay..I went to our co-op the other day and they just got in 5 or 6 Pamela's baking products. Now I can try them. Thanks everyone for all the tips :D

#14 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 05:46 PM

If you google "pamela's gluten-free mix copycat recipe," you'll find one or more recipes to mix your own flour blend to VERY closely approximate Pamela's mix at a fraction of the cost.

But if you don't have time/space to do so, order in bulk!

#15 slmprofesseur

slmprofesseur

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 06:25 PM

Thanks! I'll try that!
Knitting is a gluten free hobby!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: